Sign in to follow this  

2000 300 EXC stator upgrade?

I recently bought a plated '00 300 EXC which I have converted to supermoto.

I needed a DOT approved headlight to replace the worthless stock unit.

The guy at the parts desk at my local KTM dealer told me the stator put out 100W, so I went ahead bought a TrailTech X2 Halogen headlight. I installed it, and (of course) it is very dim due to the stator actually only putting out 40W (confirmed when I checked my factory shop manual).

What can I do to make this thing work?

TT offers a 100W stator kit for this bike, but the information is confusing. I says I need to buy the whole loom and a battery to run DC, but doesn't say whether I can just use the stator (with the stock loom and no battery) and make 100W AC. The battery and loom are another $100 and I really dont need DC for the halogen headlight.

Are there any other simple options to make (at least) 70W without killing my budget?

I'll just go ahead and answer my own question.

According to the very helpful Justin at Trail Tech's awesome customer service line, trail tech S-8301B, can be used without the DC reg/rec, loom and battery to produce 110W AC.

Unfortunately I have a 2K2 system, so I have to buy the flywheel too.

About $300-350 depending where you shop.

Im doing the same thing on a 525sx. Your problem is going to be the same as mine if you run just off the stator, no matter which stator you throw in it. Very dim to no light at idle. Stators do not put out any substantial voltage until the rpms come up. I think a battery, and r/r is your only solution. That will keep the light constant

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I found the 120V AC kit on Amazon shipped for $292 including the flywheel.

The DC kit was gonna be around $500 by the time I got the flywheel, battery and wiring loom.

I got the TT 120W DC stator all hooked up, and the light is very bright even at idle.

No problem.