Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E weight issues

Hello everyone,

My name is Paul, I'm from Austria and I ride a street registered 2004 DRZ400E. It's my first thumper, before I got it I had a 50cc 2-stroke (which I flogged through all sorts of terrain, as much as possible for such a little engine).

Compared to the bike I had before, the DRZ feels really heavy. I wanted to know facts, so I weighed it. With the gas tank being half full it was about 134 kg (295 lbs). Today I tried some guy's Honda XR600R and felt like it weighed exactly the same as my DRZ.

What gives? Is my DRZ400E too heavy? Is the XR600R really that light?

Best regards,

Paul

The DRZ is very top heavy, that's what makes it feel the same as even bigger bikes, atleast you have an E version..the S is another 30lbs filled up.

Depends on the trails, I find heavy bikes like to go fast on trails and you don't notice the weight as much.

• Like 1

The DRZ is very top heavy, that's what makes it feel the same as even bigger bikes, atleast you have an E version..the S is another 30lbs filled up.

Depends on the trails, I find heavy bikes like to go fast on trails and you don't notice the weight as much.

Totally agree! (except when picking it up after a dirt nap...lol) 🙄

• Like 3

The thing is... What passionates me about off-road riding is the slow technical stuff. I enjoy blasting over the land at high speed, but not even nearly as much as maneuvring the bike over gnarly terrain with rocks, roots, trees and what not. When "sitting" on the DRZ (e.g. DRZ between my legs and me standing on the ground) and tilting it to the side as far as I can, there's a huge difference to the 50cc 2-stroke I had before... But there was no difference at all to the XR600R. :/

Also, I was wondering where in the world those 30 lbs would come from? Other than the steel tank with metal cap of the S version, I can't think of anything. My E has all the street stuff it has to have, and I'm going to fit an S subframe with passenger pegs (for occasionally giving chicks a ride and being able to haul luggage better).

The reason why I chose DRZ-E is because I figured this would be the best, lightest and most capable bike for single trail riding which can also be ridden for hundreds of kilometers on end (literally, I did 1000km with the 50cc 2-stroke last year, rode pavement 10h a day for 3 days in a row :D). I knew it wasn't going to be as light as a competition bike (e.g. KTM EXC), but as good as it gets...

Edited by Paul_

The DRZ is a heavy bike in general, you will not be able to put it on a diet either, it is what it is.

if you want light, get a KTM.

im a small guy at 5'9 and 150 pounds, my DRZ is HEAVY, added skid plate, rad guards, rear rack with a tool pouch that weighs 10+ pounds, and im still able to take it on some tougher trails.

Picking it up is fine, as long as you use your legs and not your back 😏

• Like 1

It'll always feel a bit top-heavy, but there are some things you can do - set your suspension!, when set right, the bike feels very nimble yet stable and will just roll over nasty stuff ... the S headlight is heavy and maybe there are lighter headlights than the E lamp even though it's lighter than that of the S - and the the exhaust and the battery are lowish-hanging fruit w.r.t. weighr reduction ... but i doubt it'll change to the absurd and wonderful feeling of mountainbikeness that the lightweight enduro bikes have. But don't forget what a tank the DR-Z is - the maintenance schedule and lifespan are really that good

It'll always feel a bit top-heavy, but there are some things you can do - set your suspension!, when set right, the bike feels very nimble yet stable and will just roll over nasty stuff ... the S headlight is heavy and maybe there are lighter headlights than the E lamp even though it's lighter than that of the S - and the the exhaust and the battery are lowish-hanging fruit w.r.t. weighr reduction ... but i doubt it'll change to the absurd and wonderful feeling of mountainbikeness that the lightweight enduro bikes have. But don't forget what a tank the DR-Z is - the maintenance schedule and lifespan are really that good

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

My name is Paul, I'm from Austria and I ride a street registered 2004 DRZ400E. It's my first thumper, before I got it I had a 50cc 2-stroke (which I flogged through all sorts of terrain, as much as possible for such a little engine).

Compared to the bike I had before, the DRZ feels really heavy. I wanted to know facts, so I weighed it. With the gas tank being half full it was about 134 kg (295 lbs). Today I tried some guy's Honda XR600R and felt like it weighed exactly the same as my DRZ.

Best regards,

Paul

I weighed my buddies crf450x yesterday. It went 290 with maybe a gallon of gas in it. Has all the guards, a steering damper, and heavy tubes. My drz went 300 on the same scale with 2 gallons of gas in it and all the same guards, flexx bars and a steering damper. The drz doesn't feel as top heavy to me as the crf450x, but that's just my opinion. His ktm 520 exc weighs 273 with probably a gallon and a half of gas, and heavy tubes with a skidplate. It turns and handles pretty well for a bike its size. My 08 wr250f weighs 266 with nearly a full tank, lithium battery, a heavy tube in front, tubliss in rear, steering damper, all the guards, and over size radiators. It out handles any of the above bikes in tight terrain. If you like the drz stick with it, its a fine machine, and easier to handle due to the tractor motor compared to other big 4 strokes. If you want a really light bike you'll probably want a 2 stroke.

Hello everyone,

Best regards,

Paul

The XR650r and the DRZ400E are about the same weight.....The answer is "that's the way they made 'em"....

2006-Honda-XR650R.jpg

Dimensions

Length: 2255 mm (88.8 in)

Width: 825 mm (32.5 in)

Height: 1245 mm (49.0 in)

Wheelbase: ED, DK - 1425 mm (56.1 in), U - 1490 mm (58.7 in)

Seat Height: 939 mm (37.0 in)

Ground Clearance: 305 mm (12.0 in)

Dry Weight: ED, DK - 131.0 kg (289 lbs), U - 133.0 kg (293 lbs)

Curb Weight: ED, DK - 142.0 kg (313 lbs), U - 144.0 kg (317 lbs)

Frame

Frame Type: Semi-double cradle

Front Suspension: Telescopic fork

Front Wheel Travel: 285 mm (11.2 in)

Rear Suspension: Swingarm

Rear Wheel Travel: 307 mm (12.1 in)

Front Tyre (Tire) Size: 3.00-21 51P

Rear Tyre (Tire) Size: 4.50-18 70P

Tyre (Tire) Brand FR/RR: TR8/TR8 (IRC)

Front Brake: Hydraulic single disc

Rear Brake: Hydraulic single disc

Caster Angle: 27 degrees 32'

Trail Length: 108 mm (4.3 in)

Fuel Tank Capacity: 10.0 l (2.64 US Gal, 2.2 Imp Gal)

Fuel Tank Reserve Capacity: 4.5 l (1.19 US Gal, 0.99 Imp Gal)

Engine

Type: Petrol (Gasoline), liquid cooled 4-stroke SOHC

Cylinder Arrangement: Single cylinder inclined 13 degrees

Bore and Stroke: 100.0 x 82.6 mm (3.94 x 3.25 in)

Displacement: 649 cm cubed (39.6 cu-in)

Compression Ratio: 10.0:1

Valve Train: 4-valve, single chain driven SOHC

Intake Valve Opens: 15 degrees BTDC

Intake Valve Closes: 45 degrees ABDC

Exhaust Valve Opens: 45 degrees BBDC

Exhaust Valve Closes: 15 degrees ATDC

Lubrication System: Forced pressure and dry sump

Oil Pump Type: Trochoid/double rotor

Cooling System: Liquid cooled

Air Filtration: Oiled polyurethane foam

Engine Weight: 40.9 kg (90.2 lbs)

3940K9_DR400EK9_3-4.png

DR-Z400E

136102400E-side-yellow.jpg

136102Black-side.jpg

2742007_DR-Z400E_K7_logo.gif

Specifications

ENGINE

398cc, single cylinder, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC

STARTER

Electric

TRANSMISSION

5-speed constant mesh

FRONT SUSPENSION

Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped

REAR SUSPENSION

Link type, coil spring, oil damped

FRONT BRAKES

Disc

REAR BRAKES

Disc

WHEELBASE

1,475mm

SEAT HEIGHT

935mm

LENGTH

2,310mm

WIDTH

825mm

HEIGHT

1,235mm

WET WEIGHT

138kg

FUEL CAPACITY

10 litres including reserve

COLOURS

Champion Yellow or Black

WARRANTY

12 months unlimited kilometres

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

The XR650r and the DRZ400E are about the same weight.....The answer is "that's the way they made 'em"....

2006-Honda-XR650R.jpg

Dimensions

Length: 2255 mm (88.8 in)

Width: 825 mm (32.5 in)

Height: 1245 mm (49.0 in)

Wheelbase: ED, DK - 1425 mm (56.1 in), U - 1490 mm (58.7 in)

Seat Height: 939 mm (37.0 in)

Ground Clearance: 305 mm (12.0 in)

Dry Weight: ED, DK - 131.0 kg (289 lbs), U - 133.0 kg (293 lbs)

Curb Weight: ED, DK - 142.0 kg (313 lbs), U - 144.0 kg (317 lbs)

Frame

Frame Type: Semi-double cradle

Front Suspension: Telescopic fork

Front Wheel Travel: 285 mm (11.2 in)

Rear Suspension: Swingarm

Rear Wheel Travel: 307 mm (12.1 in)

Front Tyre (Tire) Size: 3.00-21 51P

Rear Tyre (Tire) Size: 4.50-18 70P

Tyre (Tire) Brand FR/RR: TR8/TR8 (IRC)

Front Brake: Hydraulic single disc

Rear Brake: Hydraulic single disc

Caster Angle: 27 degrees 32'

Trail Length: 108 mm (4.3 in)

Fuel Tank Capacity: 10.0 l (2.64 US Gal, 2.2 Imp Gal)

Fuel Tank Reserve Capacity: 4.5 l (1.19 US Gal, 0.99 Imp Gal)

Engine

Type: Petrol (Gasoline), liquid cooled 4-stroke SOHC

Cylinder Arrangement: Single cylinder inclined 13 degrees

Bore and Stroke: 100.0 x 82.6 mm (3.94 x 3.25 in)

Displacement: 649 cm cubed (39.6 cu-in)

Compression Ratio: 10.0:1

Valve Train: 4-valve, single chain driven SOHC

Intake Valve Opens: 15 degrees BTDC

Intake Valve Closes: 45 degrees ABDC

Exhaust Valve Opens: 45 degrees BBDC

Exhaust Valve Closes: 15 degrees ATDC

Lubrication System: Forced pressure and dry sump

Oil Pump Type: Trochoid/double rotor

Cooling System: Liquid cooled

Air Filtration: Oiled polyurethane foam

Engine Weight: 40.9 kg (90.2 lbs)

3940K9_DR400EK9_3-4.png

DR-Z400E

136102400E-side-yellow.jpg

136102Black-side.jpg

2742007_DR-Z400E_K7_logo.gif

Specifications

ENGINE

398cc, single cylinder, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC

STARTER

Electric

TRANSMISSION

5-speed constant mesh

FRONT SUSPENSION

Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped

REAR SUSPENSION

Link type, coil spring, oil damped

FRONT BRAKES

Disc

REAR BRAKES

Disc

WHEELBASE

1,475mm

SEAT HEIGHT

935mm

LENGTH

2,310mm

WIDTH

825mm

HEIGHT

1,235mm

WET WEIGHT

138kg

FUEL CAPACITY

10 litres including reserve

COLOURS

Champion Yellow or Black

WARRANTY

12 months unlimited kilometres

Good post

A fellow I know had the 650R , his was stock . My KLX had only the TRC system and jetted , we had a few drag runs and I was a bike length behind all the way to 140 klm h .

• Like 1

I've been through those facts before I decided to get myself a DRZ400E. It's just that I thought the E model was about 120 kg dry (265 lbs), so I figured its wet weight wouldn't be that high...

Picking it up is fine, as long as you use your legs and not your back 😏

Yeah, I'm totally fine with picking it up, as long as you use the right technique there's not much to it. :D The one thing that bothers me is balancing it. The more weight there is, the harder it gets... Especially when it tilts to the side and I have to keep it from falling down, I feel like my wrists and arms are doing overtime.

I'm 6'1 and 70 kg (154 lbs), so that's quite essential.

But don't forget what a tank the DR-Z is - the maintenance schedule and lifespan are really that good

That's why I got the DRZ. At first I was going to buy a Honda XR400R, but then I stumbled upon the DRZ I have now and got a good offer for it. I've yet to see how reliable it is, I've been riding it for almost three months now and already have to do the cam chain and give it a new piston + rings because it's eating 0,5-1L oil per 1000 km. :(

Other than that, I love how it tractors over almost everything!

If you like the drz stick with it, its a fine machine, and easier to handle due to the tractor motor compared to other big 4 strokes. If you want a really light bike you'll probably want a 2 stroke.

I considered that, but I wanted a bike which is as dirt capable as it gets and still doesn't break when you ride it for thousands of street miles on end and then give it a hard time off-road... With nothing but gas and oil (changes).

i suggest working out and building strength. i'm a tall skinny guy and not very strong but i can still man handle the bike through some decent single track. with good tires and suspension you'll be able to ride longer between breaks.

the e model does feel pretty heavy tho. i rode a friends xr650l and was amazed how light it felt. the torque was awesome as well. not good for single track tho because if the huge gap between 1st and 2nd. it's also air cooled.

🙂 I'm doing plenty of exercise inbetween riding sessions, so I can handle it better. I'm totally fine with handling it through gnarly terrain already, all the tractor power really helps not get stuck or get it unstuck once it's happened.

It's just that I'm surprised how noticeable the weight difference between the 50ccm 2-stroke MX bike (full size) I rode before and the DRZ-E is.

Edited by Paul_

i suggest working out and building strength. i'm a tall skinny guy and not very strong but i can still man handle the bike through some decent single track. with good tires and suspension you'll be able to ride longer between breaks.

the e model does feel pretty heavy tho. i rode a friends xr650l and was amazed how light it felt. the torque was awesome as well. not good for single track tho because if the huge gap between 1st and 2nd. it's also air cooled.

The R model 650 has a bit more grunt....Though it suffers from "No Magic Button" on the RH switchblock..

I had an 06 XR650R and the lack of electric start was annoying at times, especially if you stalled on a tight trail.....

It's just that I'm surprised how noticeable the weight difference between the 50ccm 2-stroke MX bike (full size) I rode before and the DRZ-E is.

I owned a 2007 YZ450 and a 2007 YZ250 at the same time.  On the scale the 450 was only about 10lbs more but when riding it felt like about 30lbs heavier to me.  Any 400cc plus 4 stroke is going to "feel" much heavier when riding than a 250cc 2 stroke even when their actual scale weights are close.  The US 400E is only 10lbs heavier than the CRF450X and WR450 and I don't notice much difference between the 400E and the 07 WR450 I had.  There is a lot of confusion about how heavy DRZ's are due to the US 400S being about 30lbs heavier than the US 400E and the AUS 400E weighing somewhere between the US 400E and 400S.

It seems most people lump all DRZ's together as the same bike.  I've ridden a stock a S and this is the 2nd 400E I've owned and the difference between the S and E regarding weight feel and power is night and day.  The 400E is a great bike and gets a bad reputation due to the 400S.  Every time I trail ride my E I get comments when I'm unloading the bike from the guys I'm riding with.  "What are you riding that pig for?",  "You like riding that?", etc  Then we ride and I am similar speed to any other bike I've owned (on rocks only, in the whoops this bike sucks with stock suspension :-) I don't ride it in the desert unless I'm dual sporting).  Later in the day people are usually curious and ask to ride it then they all tell me how surprised they are that it rides so well and really isn't a pig after all.

You mentioned the XR650R.  I just did a 5 day dual sport trip with a freind who has a 650R and we switched bikes a few times during the ride on both fire roads and single track.  We both agreed that the 400E was much more maneuverable and felt noticeably lighter than the 650R.  Maybe with the S headlight and street wiring on your AUS 400E your bike does feel similar to the 650R in weight.

My last dirt machine quite a few years ago was a CR250R two smoker. Ran it mostly wide open through the technical trails of my area. I'm a bit older now & ride mostly with my Grandkids on the front pegged, modified Dizzer I built to carry them safely (see my other vids of us together on YTube) I personally love the extra weight as I feel like I'm cruising our rocky trails in a Cadillac.....extremely stable bike! As mentioned, exercise (interval training) and just allowing yourself to get used to your machine is key. Learning/practicing weight transfer & balance on any bike you choose will save you some hospital time & increase your technical abilities. As long as my Dizzer can bring me up 4000+ feet of technical trails as smooth as this in the rocks....I'm good with a few extra pounds. Notice the two riders at the peak that were stunned I had come up the final face on the "pig" especially when I pulled the helmet & exposed my age. Haha! Too bad the GoPro has such a hard time showing the real steepness of the terrain. It was best captured in the last 30 seconds of this vid.....enjoy ;~))

• Like 2

My last dirt machine quite a few years ago was a CR250R two smoker. Ran it mostly wide open through the technical trails of my area. I'm a bit older now & ride mostly with my Grandkids on the front pegged, modified Dizzer I built to carry them safely (see my other vids of us together on YTube) I personally love the extra weight as I feel like I'm cruising our rocky trails in a Cadillac.....extremely stable bike! As mentioned, exercise (interval training) and just allowing yourself to get used to your machine is key. Learning/practicing weight transfer & balance on any bike you choose will save you some hospital time & increase your technical abilities. As long as my Dizzer can bring me up 4000+ feet of technical trails as smooth as this in the rocks....I'm good with a few extra pounds. Notice the two riders at the peak that were stunned I had come up the final face on the "pig" especially when I pulled the helmet & exposed my age. Haha! Too bad the GoPro has such a hard time showing the real steepness of the terrain. It was best captured in the last 30 seconds of this vid.....enjoy ;~))

Nice Video! CDA is my home stomping grounds, sure miss that place! I've recently picked up an 04 Dizzer. We are putting each other through the paces! What kind of bars do you have?

Nice Video! CDA is my home stomping grounds, sure miss that place! I've recently picked up an 04 Dizzer. We are putting each other through the paces! What kind of bars do you have?

Those are Easton EA70's. Nice fit & feel on the DRZ. Glad you liked the vid. I grew up at the base of Canfield & pretty much rode out my back door. Lots of changes on the mountain since then but still a fun ride today. Congrats on the 04 Dizzer! I've also entered some "paces" since going back to dirt.....lost some pounds & gained some needed strength. Feeling more comfortable all the time.....Love my DRZ!

You shouldn't even lump the drz in with a 2stroke.trail.bike. the.drz is heavy. My s model right.now is 307. The metal vs plastic tank is almost no weight difference. There are a lot of subtle things. You can drop some weight and move some around to help out.

The thing is... What passionates me about off-road riding is the slow technical stuff. I enjoy blasting over the land at high speed, but not even nearly as much as maneuvring the bike over gnarly terrain with rocks, roots, trees and what not. When "sitting" on the DRZ (e.g. DRZ between my legs and me standing on the ground) and tilting it to the side as far as I can, there's a huge difference to the 50cc 2-stroke I had before... But there was no difference at all to the XR600R. :/

Also, I was wondering where in the world those 30 lbs would come from? Other than the steel tank with metal cap of the S version, I can't think of anything. My E has all the street stuff it has to have, and I'm going to fit an S subframe with passenger pegs (for occasionally giving chicks a ride and being able to haul luggage better).

The reason why I chose DRZ-E is because I figured this would be the best, lightest and most capable bike for single trail riding which can also be ridden for hundreds of kilometers on end (literally, I did 1000km with the 50cc 2-stroke last year, rode pavement 10h a day for 3 days in a row https://thumpertalk.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/biggrin.gif). I knew it wasn't going to be as light as a competition bike (e.g. KTM EXC), but as good as it gets...

Those are Easton EA70's. Nice fit & feel on the DRZ. Glad you liked the vid. I grew up at the base of Canfield & pretty much rode out my back door. Lots of changes on the mountain since then but still a fun ride today. Congrats on the 04 Dizzer! I've also entered some "paces" since going back to dirt.....lost some pounds & gained some needed strength. Feeling more comfortable all the time.....Love my DRZ!

Cool, I will have to check them out. I'm totally interested in a different set of bars. Kinda crazy being 12 hours away and seeing guys from your home turf! I'm pretty much new to the dirt again too. It's fun though!

• Like 1

My '00 DRZ400S weighs 307 lbs with: full yoshi exhaust, skid plate, radiator guards, cycra pro-bends, answer pro taper bars, clarke 3.9 gal tank (~3 gal fuel), moose tool pack, LED turn signals & brake light, minus passenger pegs, helmet lock, chain guard & mirrors.