Sign in to follow this  

is a 2 stroke 125 to fast for a beginner?

I would say no. Your profile says you are 19 and I am assuming you are average size. It may seem fast at first but you will get used to it quickly and may even outgrow the power fairly quickly depending on your weight. I would suggest you start riding it somewhere fairly open until you get comfortable on it then move to more advanced terrain. Have fun!

As long as you take it easy, It'll be fine. One of my friends, 14 yr old and average size with pretty much no experience other than a 100cc 3-wheeler, was fine on his 2002 YZ 125. Although he has crashed twice and had 2 surgeries on his thumb, he's been good. haha. Both crashes have been very dumb and I honestly don't know how he got hurt. But as long as you take it easy, you'll be all set and absolutely love it.

I started riding in earnest last year (IE not borrowing buddy bikes), started off with a KTM 125 that was setup for the woods. It can be a handful on hill climbs, and the power band will be something you'll want to delicately explore, but it taught me great throttle/clutch/brake control, since you can't just coast it around like a 4 stroke. Then you'll really be set when you move up to a 200/250 2 stroke

👍