Sign in to follow this  

Found that the thread on the spark plug has broke off!

Drz 400 the spark plug came out with just the white electrode on it the person who changed it before obvs over tightend it and broke it right off with the thread still in the head ..... Is there anyway to get it out without taking the head off and using grips to turn it?

Can you still get a socket on it or did it break below there?

If you can still get a socket on it, soak the area overnight with PB Blaster first, then try the socket.

If you can't do that, then some kind of fluted extractor might work.

Any effort that could cause crap to fall into the cylinder, you're better off removing the head and work at getting it out on the bench.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

are you saying just the threads are in the head?? The hex part is in your hand? so its like just a threaded tube in your head? How about a pic?? I have an idea if this is what you are saying

Edited by Mark Astorga

The whole apark plug comes out aparf from the thread at the bottom of the spark plg whats sheared off and still stuck in the head

The whole apark plug comes out aparf from the thread at the bottom of the spark plg whats sheared off and still stuck in the head

Pull the head... that kind of failure is not common,,,,

The only time I've seen something like that happen is when there is damage inside the head that causes the plug to fracture upon attempted removal.

Even if that is not the case here and it's just a simple plug weird failure.. removing the had and having the broken part properly, safely removed is SO MUCH easier and safely done with the head on the bench, at the small cost of a head gasket, oil and coolant.

Yes in half way taking the head of it now As i need to look in there anyways as my other topics exsplain haha :/

What is the number on the spark plug? Maybe you just have a short reach plug in a long reach hole. Can you actually see something remaining in the spark plug hole?

As a mechanic I have run into this problem a few times. Usually I see it when pulling out a really cheap brand plug. On a car removing the head is never a good option. I have always just used an easy out extractor and never had a problem.

pipe_extractor.jpg

As a mechanic I have run into this problem a few times. Usually I see it when pulling out a really cheap brand plug. On a car removing the head is never a good option. I have always just used an easy out extractor and never had a problem.

pipe_extractor.jpg

I would likely do the same.. But i have a bore scope to see inside for damage, a thread chase to clean up the threads and can recognize a failure of just the plug body vs impact damage from the inside.

If this were a steel head low compression low RPM auto motor,,, id remove the broken bit and install a new plug..

But as it's not.. I think more caution and inspection is needed.

If the person working on it can do that without removing the head.. great.. if not, I would still recommend removing the head..

To each his own, do what works for you.

E.marquez you comment on every topic i do! And i think your great haha as in helpfull way good friend to have:)

+1 the easy out. this is one of the very few times i'll reach for that tool. too many times an easy out will make a simple repair a hell of a lot more expensive and time consuming.

immediately afterwards, borrow a borescope !

i was the idiot that over tightened a plug once. it was easier to remove it than admit it was my fault, for a little while.