Sign in to follow this  

'79 YZ125 riding impressions?

I'm in the process of restoring a '79 YZ125 and wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect when I finally get to ride it. I'm 54, 5'11", and 215lbs, so I'm sure I'll look like an elephant riding a tricycle, but I'm sure it will still be fun. Thanks in advance.

You can expect ZERO low end power, lots of clutch abuse to get moving from a stop, and keeping the throttle fully pinned! You can also expect admiration of lots of "hurricane Hannah" fans. As a vintage moto bike, you could do a lot worse. As a trail bike, you could do waaaaay better.

Edited by ickfinger
  • Like 1

My buddy just finished up his 79 yz 125. They go like a two stroke air cooled, my daughters kz 65 and it are close in performance. Are you planning on vintage racing? If so better hit the gym for some cardio training. Trust me it sucks to get old. One other comment, well of course it doesn't have any bottom end it's a two stroke, you have to ride it a such.

Thanks for the replies. That's what I thought it would be like. I had a '75 cr125 in high school and it had similar power. Like a light switch. Either on or off. No low end. I do like revving a bike and clutching, so it should be fun.