690R, The Apocalypse Project

Let's just get this out of the way first.....Because ?

I was going to keep this project under wraps but the 1st stage turned out so well I just had to share. This 2013 KTM 690 Enduro-R is getting a military makeover. I just received the body panels back from ceracoating. Ceracoat is a baked ceramic firearms coating that has flat rough finish and is impervious to scratches. Color on the panels is Colt coyote tan. Next phase will be tedious but if you can envision the "X" formed by the chassis and headlight faceplate, it will be painted (likely) plain desert tan. Everything else currently shiny (except calipers, struts, and the obvious) will be either flat black with small desert tan touches here and there.

This bike will get a host of engine mods, some of which are already complete. Will update as she progresses.

742-p7120020.jpg

741-p7120019.jpg

743-p7120018.jpg

Edited by DeepSeaOne
  • Like 1

F*cking AWESOME!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you are putting an AR-15 mount on this thing???

A hard scabbard of some type is on the table but for right now its getting a survival kit, water purification system, mini-shelter, and rapid deploy camo netting to hide it all. Finishing the paint comes fist then I'll figure out how to carry/mount everything. I'm using tactical bags/pouches for storage which gives me unlimited options.

Why do I put bacon on cheeseburgers?

Why do I shoot squirrels from my window?

Why do I like to pee on shit when I'm drunk?

Because I'm a guy and I can.

Yes but all those make sense to me, Careful when pissing on snapping turtles heads............ They hate it.

Sick looking and good idea, how much does that run to get that coating on it?

Probably no set price. Only reason I went with Ceracoat on those panels is because you can't really find coyote tan flat paint and I wanted coyote in the paint scheme. It cost me $400 to get those panels done. While its well known that Ceracoat will work on plastic, it's unknown how it will hold up on plastic that flexes as much as these panels do but I have a hunch that it will hold up nicely. Even at that price I doubt the guy made any money off it...The prep work is time consuming and he likely did it to get some exposure for his gun shop since I agreed to allow him to use the photos once complete.

Given that this is a dirt bike, I'd have krylon'd the entire project then baked it on with space heaters if it weren't for the lack of coyote tan.

Probably no set price. Only reason I went with Ceracoat on those panels is because you can't really find coyote tan flat paint and I wanted coyote in the paint scheme. It cost me $400 to get those panels done. While its well known that Ceracoat will work on plastic, it's unknown how it will hold up on plastic that flexes as much as these panels do but I have a hunch that it will hold up nicely. Even at that price I doubt the guy made any money off it...The prep work is time consuming and he likely did it to get some exposure for his gun shop since I agreed to allow him to use the photos once complete.

Given that this is a dirt bike, I'd have krylon'd the entire project then baked it on with space heaters if it weren't for the lack of coyote tan.

Well I will have to get back at you in a few months and see how it held up, and if it did hold up better than regular plastics I may be doing it myself cause thats cool as shit!

I like what you've done to that bike. It's a one of a kind, not a cookie cutter, stickered up cluttered bike. It should look really nice once you've got the frame done up, right now, even though I'm quite fond of the black/orange KTM is known for, the orange frame is like a sore thumb.

I'm curious how that will hold up once trail ridden.

I like what you've done to that bike. It's a one of a kind, not a cookie cutter, stickered up cluttered bike. It should look really nice once you've got the frame done up, right now, even though I'm quite fond of the black/orange KTM is known for, the orange frame is like a sore thumb.

I'm curious how that will hold up once trail ridden.

It's hard to tell by the pics but the orange frame looks quite good with the coyote and I was tempted to leave it. I chose that shade because it has a slight orange tint in the the sun. Truth be told I'm not too concerned with how it holds up. Flat earth tones are really easy to touch-up and match. This is a dirt bike and I want it to look like...well...dirt. It will likely rarely get washed except to keep important stuff clean and a scratch or 2 is easily solved with a squirt of Krylon. This bike will not see any Armor-All on the tires and anything that shines will be dulled with a Mr. Clean eraser or 800 grit paper. Besides...Chicks dig scratches ?