Sign in to follow this  

Jetting

I have a 3x3 air box and a yoshimura slip on exhaust. The shop I had do my carb said they put a 150 main jet and left pilot jet stock and I'm not sure if they messed with needle. My bike craps out on takeoff and seems to be descent thru the rest of the rpm but I'm not satisfied. Any reccomondations on jets to run??

Check what jets you have in there. Are you running a stock needle?

After doing the 3x3 mod ,you can't just bang in the main jet and think everything is going to be rosy....

Arguably, the needle is the most important item in a carburetor .and it needs to be changed...

if still the stock needle is still installed , you need to get a lump of wood and bang it over the head of the dumb arse mechanic...they should know better.. :bonk:

You need a jet kit...JD Jet kit (JDS005) is what I prefer....

for open s/o pipe use..

160 main jet

JD Blue needle clip 4

stock 22.5 pilot jet with an extended fuel screw or 25 pilot jet with stock fuel screw

2.75 turns

Edited by Craigo 485sm

JD Blue needle clip 4

I sure wish everybody would quit saying "clip #4" as that it is meaningless and just state the circlip's position on the needle.

There are 5 notches"grooves" in the JD needle and saying "clip" 4 means nothing.

That reference could mean the fourth groove from the bottom (lean) or fourth groove from the top (rich).which would make a lot of difference in performance.

Not trying to stir shit but this recurring "clip" position reference should to be addressed/clarified.

Edited by Kioti

I sure wish everybody would quit saying "clip #4" as that it is meaningless and just state the circlip's position on the needle.

There are 5 notches"grooves" in the JD needle and saying "clip" 4 means nothing.

That reference could mean the fourth groove from the bottom (lean) or fourth groove from the top (rich).which would make a lot of difference in performance.

Not trying to stir shit but this recurring "clip" position reference should to be addressed/clarified.

Clip positions are always counted from the top....

• Like 2

After doing the 3x3 mod ,you can't just bang in the main jet and think everything is going to be rosy....

Arguably, the needle is the most important item in a carburetor .and it needs to be changed...

if still the stock needle is still installed , you need to get a lump of wood and bang it over the head of the dumb arse mechanic...they should know better.. :bonk:

You need a jet kit...JD Jet kit (JDS005) is what I prefer....

for open s/o pipe use..

160 main jet

JD Blue needle clip 4

stock 22.5 pilot jet with an extended fuel screw or 25 pilot jet with stock fuel screw

2.75 turns

With no other mods then the 3x3 what would you recommend? I did blue needle 3rd clip 155mj 25 PJ stock fuel screw 2 1/2 turns out at around 700ft elevation nc

• Like 1

Do any of u kno where I can order just a needle and spring or do I just need to buy the dyno jet kit just for the needle and spring??

Do any of u kno where I can order just a needle and spring or do I just need to buy the dyno jet kit just for the needle and spring??

Unfortunately the jet kit producers kinda "have you by the balls", so to speak....

Adjustable needles for the stock paper weight can not be purchased separately....

With no other mods then the 3x3 what would you recommend? I did blue needle 3rd clip 155mj 25 PJ stock fuel screw 2 1/2 turns out at around 700ft elevation nc

Yep, that's sounds good..... 👍

I just pulled my carb apart and they had a 160 main jet and a 27.5 pilot jet with stock needle. Sounds like it needs a needle and maybe a little smaller pilot and main I think.

I just pulled my carb apart and they had a 160 main jet and a 27.5 pilot jet with stock needle. Sounds like it needs a needle and maybe a little smaller pilot and main I think.

See post #3.....and 4" x 2" timber may be suitable......lol