Sign in to follow this  

bike suggestions for me and wife

Been looking at getting myself and my wife a bike to ride trails with kids as a family in Texas on the weekends. She is first time rider 5'6 125lb im 5'8 200ish had bike as teen and ride a harley for what its worth. Been looking at maybe a couple of crf230. Want to stick with honda. Any adavantage of a 250 or 450 for me. I see they are more maintenance needy than otheres. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

My wife is a brand new rider and I got her a wr250 she is only 5'4" so I got a lowering link. She loves it. She rode my kids xr200 and yz85 and did not feel comfortable on either. I just got my daughter a crf150r and my wife likes the 250 better than that too. She liked my yz250f but had a hard time kick starting it due to the height. I have ridden the Honda crf250x. They are super fun easy to ride bikes. I would suggest that for your wife for sure. For you it depends on your goals. If you just want to cruz and have fun go for a 250f as well. If you think you might get more hard core riding or racing go 450 but not the x model. If you jump from honda look at two strokes too. A 250 or 300 2 stroke are really what I consider the best race type trail bikes. Reliability on a 2 stroke is good too. Yeah you do a piston more often but it is cheaper and easy to do yourself.

Get yourselves a couple of used crf230's. Good, fun, reliable once you'll get use to it you re sell for almost same price and get a 250 or 450.

Get yourselves a couple of used crf230's. Good, fun, reliable once you'll get use to it you re sell for almost same price and get a 250 or 450.

this is good advice too. Buying used bikes that have hit just about bottom price on depreciation is a good way to start out. If you get a crf230 in good shape for 2000 or less you won't loose much if you get rid of it later. You could probably ride it for 3 years and as long as you maintain it still get 1700 at least. Depends on condition when you get it and condition when you sell but that type of thing is realistic. Good luck. Edited by motojunkiedan

+1 230s are very easy maintenance. Change the oils and filters and they'll last forever.

Get the wife a yamaha ttr125le. The springs will be just right and she will love the e-start and light weight. A honda crf230 is a very heavy bike and she won't be able to pick it up.

If u guys plan or doing any street riding at all to and from trails find a yamaha wr250r there great but may need a more dirt worthy tire change

How are the crf 150 with electric start? She can sit on on of these flat footed the 230 would need a lowering link.

Actually after looking up the specs if she can sit flat footed on a 150 she should be able to handle the 230.. I think u both should get 230 they are very reliable and easy to sell if u want more power she should be fine on it... If u think u want more than a 230 the crf 250 or the yamaha wr250f would be great for you..

Edited by Kparks24

Actually after looking up the specs if she can sit flat footed on a 150 she should be able to handle the 230.. I think u both should get 230 they are very reliable and easy to sell if u want more power she should be fine on it... If u think u want more than a 230 the crf 250 or the yamaha wr250f would be great for you..
+1 you may not like the 230s sluggishness. It's like a pig.