Sign in to follow this  

Sewing Machines

OK, you're probably thinking "Smacaroni has lost his damn mind". And you were right, but it wasn't today. That's been gone for a loooooong time.

So here's the deal, I got fitted incorectly and I have four uniforms with sleeves that are way too long. Everything else is right though. I'm gonna try to send three of them back. If I can't, I'll need to hem them as well. Or pay someone. The fourth one I need ASAP so I'm sewing the sleeves by hand. It blows.

I've considered getting a sewing machine off and on, but never pulled the trigger. Now I'm really thinking I NEED one.

Having no idea about sewing machines, I figure I'm going to save some money and jump blindly into a sewing machine on craigslist. The only brand I know is Singer the brand grandma used. I can't get grandma's machine.

Then I saw this one from a company I've never heard of and it says "buy me". It's so pretty...

http://york.craigslist.org/atq/3923524634.html

00O0O_HPUhCD9qeT_600x450.jpg

All I need is occasional house wife duty sewing machine. I'm not getting into upholstery.

I'm asking vintage because town square just won't understand why I'd see the value of a 1960s sewing machine (assuming it works). I think many would just tell me to buy new uniforms and forget it. So, anyone care to save me from myself - the machine, not paying a seamstress or new uniforms.

That is a really cool sewing machine. If it has that cool air intake on it, then it is totally worth the $80. It is way cooler than the one I have. Unless you know what you are doing, have him show you how to thread it. Troy341

Believe it or not, I sew, somewhat frequently, but mostly by hand. My wife has a Husqvarna sewing machine (Electrolux- a mid to early 80s vintage) but it's sometimes more of a pain to set up than threading a hand needle and patching whatever I've torn apart on my home coveralls. How thick are your uniforms?

If you get that machine, find a manual, it will show how to set up everything. Failing that, Value Villages around here always have two or three on the shelf, hospice and church thrift stores more.

To me, that's a core. "Sold as is", no other meaningful description means it doesn't work or the seller has no clue how to operate it. Still, like the old tack hanging in my living room, a cool conversation piece and (hopefully) still functional.

When I saw the title to this thread, I thought you wanted your bikes quieter LOL.

Honestly....if you are into dirtbikes and need a sewing machine there is only one way to go:

HUSQVARNA all the way !!!! 👍

Learn something new everyday. I had no idea Husky made sewing machines.

But I do know Yamaha makes keyboards and Kawasaki makes heavy equipment, so I'm not surprised. I'll talk to the seller to see if it works.

there are a ton of "antique" sewing machines on my CL, but most are mounted in a table pedal operated singer with the laddice work guard on the back side. Neat, but not my cup of tea.

My uniforms are like thin denim. It's not hard to sew, but so time comsuming.

As I was reading, I was think go on CL and get an old Singer, you can't go wrong. IDK how newer ones are. Bought my wife a new Singer in the late 80's and it's going strong. It's plastic and all turned yella but works like new.

My mom has an old metal one, I rewired it because the rubber insulation all broke down. IDK what brand it is, probably from the 40's or 50's. Runs like new and has never had any parts replaced. I think either a Singer, or anything before the plastic era will work fine and last a long time.

I bought a foot powered machine in an oak cabinet for $20 first. Musta been 100 years old. I thought it was the rats ass. Save power and last forever. My wife didn't see it that way. Out it went.

Your not crazy and not a crazy post. I do my own upholstery work (hobby not as a business) so I have long arm machines, but for your needs a standard "dress making" machine will suffice. Make sure what ever you are looking at has a back stitch and zig-zag. Singers are not the quality of the early machines anymore. I am partial to White or Phaff. Bottom line what ever you end up getting (used) it is worth it to send it in to get it tuned up and re-timed. My mom still uses an old Montgomery Ward machine from about 1972 all steel and cast iron along her more modern White (serger machine) and Viking

• Like 1

I was afraid the newer singers would not be what they once were. Let me guess, they cut corners in the 90's to compete, sales suffered after awhile, so they exported manufacturing to make them ever cheaper and disposable. Built To Last (5 years max.). Sad :(

No manual, but I've found this much out about the machine (based on photos of other machines, it IS a zig-zag, 0-4 selector is how much it zigs or zags)

Vizetti%20Super%20Delux%20006.jpg

Visetti Super Deluxe

This is a Visetti Super Deluxe. This beautiful machine was made by Toyota in the 1960s'. Yes, the same Toyata that makes automobiles. The fit, finish, engineering, and overall quality is definitely Toyota. The light blue is a beautiful metallic. This machine now lives in Arizona.

Still looking for a manual.

Honestly....if you are into dirtbikes and need a sewing machine there is only one way to go:

Small two strokes are too hard to keep running well on stuff you don't run often.

This is what the owner has to say:

We got it in a pile of items that we purchased. I do not know anything else about it

Either a lot auction or abandoned storage, my guess. It's 20 minutes from my house. Gonna figure out how to thread it (youtube, I'm coming!), get a bobbin and maybe a needle to see if it works. If it works, I haggle and go home with a new to me sewing machine. If it doesn't, I go home and try again.

I picked up a Husqvarna 2T blower , very impressed . It's a has great bottom and mid range hit ... Then delivers a reasonable Top End .

I'd second the Pfaff machines. They are good quality and will last forever even if misused and abused. My middle school home ec. class used them and they had to be atleast 30 years old and were not well cared for but worked great.

I sew quite often, it's a skill that will make you a good househusband for the right woman!! I've actually won best of show in the York Fair for a quilt I made.

That's impressive. I hate the York Fair as they're a money grabbin' citizen encroaching sorry sack of Rotten Crotch Cola swappin' for Coke, pernicious weasels, but that's a big venue regardless.

FWIW, I finished sewing my sleeves on one uniform by hand tonight. What a pain in the butt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to do the other three. I realized that the machine in question is missing the presser foot. I borrowed one to try it out which I thought I was gonna have time to do today, but I didn't.

I found http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintagejapansewingmachines/ which I hope will lead me to a model name, but since I'm a new member, they don't trust my posts and they're moderated. I did find a generic manual there though. From what I've read, many of these machines shipped with a generic manual and nothing more.

I also found http://www.sewingmachinesteve.com/Pages/default.aspx who sounds like an excellent resource for repair. Also, he's got some beautiful work as well as a lot of detailed information.

With my schedule, it probably won't be till next week for me to check it out.

I went to visit the sewing machine that started this thread today.

Problem #1, as I mentioned, it's missing the presser foot. I borrowed one but it either is too short or I couldn't figure out how to lower the foot.

Problem #2, no bobbin. The lady who owned it, seemed rather happy that someone was coming to perhaps take this off her hands and remembered that he mother gave her a bunch of sewing stuff to include many bobbins. I think I installed it in the cassette correctly, but I'm not sure.

I think I threaded the machine correctly, but I'm not sure.

After 20 minutes of screwing with it including but not limited to breaking the needle when it wasn't aligned right, I gave up. I told her it's a really cool looking machine, but it needs to work so it's not the machine for me. It's located in Jefferson PA if anyone reading this thread wants it. It is in very good condition other than what it's missing and maybe if it's threaded right will sew. The motor works, the needle alignment thing was probably from me messing with it because she said she plugged it in and the motor worked. The inside of the box is clean.

SEW... I think I found a new prospect. I'm not sure if it has zig-zag or not, but again, I like the way it looks...

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/art/3907278213.html

3s23Nd3Ha5sc5qd5J2d71a469af9893971bb6.jpg

It has the accessories box! I bet it's a one-owner (or an heirloom)

3Ee3Ke3F55Eb5q65Jfd71ff85a285246e16e8.jpg

$40, I'm gonna check it out unless somebody tells me different.

3s23Nd3Ha5sc5qd5J2d71a469af9893971bb6.jpg

Bought it $30. Original retail was $39.99 in 1963. I'm happy about that. Don't know how to thread it though. Asking a friend who sews a lot here at work for help on that. This machine looks like it has never been used. The owner inherited it and said the deceased used it as her primary sewing machine.

No zig-zag, Oh well.

The pedal is a little finicky, it's settings are:

0 depression: no movement

1 humming snail

2 snail

3 snail

4 snail

5 turtle

6 turtle on an decline

7 a little bit faster than you want to go

8 damn fast

9 way too fast

10 don't know, didn't step all the way down for fear it may take off.

Wish me luck.

Edited by Smacaroni

DAMN! Tell me Hodaka made sewing machines next.

Well I don't believe how STUPID STUPID STUPID I am. After the crafty lady at my work couldn't figure out how to thread it, I said I'd go home and look for manuals of similar models and figure it out on my own.

However, gravity and my STUPIDITY had other plans.

I must not have seated the cover right and as I carried it out through the concrete parking garage it popped open and spilled the machine on the wheel which must have broken the shaft along with mangling the nearly pristine enamel paint.

I'm not sure what makes me more sick, the fact that I ruined my new find that was going to save me hours of labor or that the machine was in such awesome shape and I screwed the pooch before I even got to use it. I keep telling myself "at least it was only $30..."

DSCN0243.JPG

I think I'm going to try to sell it to sewing machine Steve so that another sewing machine may live on to stitch happily away for another generation.

Since I need to get these uniforms fixed A.S.A.P. I'm looking at yet another ad for an old Singer this time.

It's not as cool looking, it's not as pretty, but I sure hope it works

00Z0Z_afYvsKew5vt_600x450.jpg

With the plastic base, I'm going to assume this is a 1970s or 80s model. But it's only $15.

Ooohh, I found another pretty one, $25, seller claims it works:

3E73t13L25Ga5q95M7d6f8e2ac20e171f1352.jpg

http://chambersburg.craigslist.org/app/3873829541.html

Which one would you get?

Edited by Smacaroni