Sign in to follow this  

1982 Honda XL250 Problem

I am currently trying to fix a 1982 Honda XL250 for a friend. At first I had thought the engine had seized because it could not turn over, so I began taking off the top end, but right when I took the cylinder head off; the bike could turn over. It is obviously not seized so I put the cylinder head back on, but then it wouldn't turn over again. So basically the bike wont turn over when the cylinder head is on. The cam lobes looked pretty worn but I'm not sure if that could cause the engine not to turn over. I don't know whether its the valves sticking or the rocker arms or something else, I'm basically just a wannabe mechanic, I mainly took up the challenge of fixing this bike to give me some experience and to learn haha. Help would be much appreciated, if a picture would help in aiding me I can provide one if you wish.

So..You say you had the cylinder head off..

There's two parts to the head,,The valve cover and below that the cylinder head..If you took the valve cover off you'd see the Cam sitting there with the camchain on a sprocket and four valve/tops/springs.

If you took the Cam out and released the Camchain and bolts holding the cylinder head and removed the actual cylinder head you'd see the top of the piston..

Which bit did you remove???,,and what did you see under the part..Cam and camchain,,or top of the piston..

I'd also have to ask how do you mean it wouldn't turn over??,,By your turning the flywheel or by your attempting to kick it over..??,,A few different things can cause a few different non turn over scenarios depending on how did the attempted turning..

Was the rear chain disconneted and was the bike in neutral is probably a better question..??

Edited by Horri