Sign in to follow this  

2008 CRF450R shock valving

2008 CRF450R

170 lb without gear

amateur desert/offroad racer

Stock 5.4 spring

KoubaLink CRF3 1 1/2" drop link

Bike swaps in whoops and could be a bit softer on HS hits. I am thinking 5.6 spring and not sure where to go with the stacks. Are there any general rule of thumb settings when using lowering link? Thank You

Current Settings

Compression 16-44.20 34.15 30.15 44.15 42.20 40.20 38.20 36.25 34.25 32.25 30.25 28.25 26.25 24.25 22.25 19.25 44.25 44.15 44.15 44.5x5.0 baseplate

Rebound 5-40.20 26.10 40.30 38.30 36.30 34.30 32.30 30.30 29.30 28.30 26.30

105 views and not 1 opinion?

I have read mixed feelings on heavier springs when using lowering link, anywhere from 1 to 3 sizes stiffer. Any thoughts?

How about the link having an effect on compression and rebound, seems to me rebound would react slower and compression would feel softer. Any truth to this? How can i compensate with different stack options if so?

Thank you

I have absolutely no personal experience with lowering links! That beeing said, I agree it would slightly alter the rising rate.. How much? Enough to be concerned??

IME Swapping typical is to much compression (or not enough-bottoming, bikes not absorbing the energy ) or (including) to tight rebound.

Comonly over looked -Assuming shocks heim joint, linkage and swing arm pivots are in good order- fresh shock service, Sags dialed (racer/static)- also looks like your on the edge of the oem spring for your weight wih gear acording to mx tech spring gen?

Taking a shot in the dark out of curiosity- whats your clicker settings (including the HSC)? How did the bike perform prior to the link?

Reb. 10 out

Comp. 8 out

HS 3 out

Bike was purchased used and never revalved until now. No major changes since linkage change. Bike is getting heavier spring so this will get things in the right sag limits.

I would lean you to back out the comp 14-16ish first, then test rebound 12-14- will allow for a little more freebleed. (fine tune w/ HS a 1/4 or so-out)

Does clamp in floating midvalve setup react in the same manner:

- If it floats with shim stack, untill it hits the stop

- or if I fix it to the bottom, behind collar.

Obviously, the floating clamp should have bigger ID than fixed one.

Swapping for me has seemed to be a HSC issue. The less I have the more I swap. Adding HSC to the shock pretty much eliminates swapping for me. I weigh a lot more than you and ride a 2 stroke though. Have you messed with the HSC knob to see if it gives you any hints?

Also can you organize your future stack vertically instead of horizontally? Makes it much easier to read.

im using 40.20 x 6 and 28.10 cross over on showa shock and the factory connection cadj spring. thats help so much for your problem , a good rebound and a right pression in main piston chamber , with more bottom resistance