Sign in to follow this  

More problems 2012

My bike did this thing again where it makes a wispy exhaust note for no reason, off the cuff. I have no idea what it could be it ran fine, I wasn't riding it that hard.

And on another note the bike will not go into neutral at all. When it rolls freely it goes click click click and then into gear. Total trash. I knew I &%$#@!ed up when I bought this thing

How's it now?

If my box is toasted (still not gotten the chance to ride in 6/7weeks) then i was contemplating getting a run of gears/components properly hardened and finished....the more people buy in the cheaper it'll get

Lol I don't know about that. Found out that my oil is a little milky which could be the exhaust noise I'm hearing from the ring rubbing on the cylinder or something. Anyway I'm not sure about my tranny, but my oil was a little milky and had glitter like copper flakes in it. Assuming part of the ring. The bike runs fine other than that. What do I do now? I mean it wasn't like potting clay water milky but it was a little swirly. Do I just keep on changing the oil to flush it? Also, my coolant is appropriate so it was from an outside source. Thanks for the reply.

DUDE! Copper is usually the sacrifice part of the crank bearing. This is usually evident in the oil before it goes south completely. Please do a google to see what i mean. I Don't want to scare you though...

http://www.thumperta...-in-oil-filter/

Oil that's a little milky could be a lot of things...even condensation. Have you got a pic?

Edited by maximous35

Youve misunderstood me.There are no copper filings in my oil filter at all, I'm saying that my oil is glittery, not my oil filter. As a matter of fact I rode on the same filter for about 4 hours and I took my flashlight and looked through every fold in the paper. Nothing. There was when I first got it...when I changed break in oil but haven't seen anything since. There isn't anything that is a shard, filing or anything. It just looks glittery like a fishing lure. Gold glitter. Not a lot but a little. And I have a video I can email you. I'm on a cell phone here. Like I said its not like pottery clay water or anything but its a little milky swirly and a little glittery almost microscopic particles. Coolant is good. Still looks like carribbean sea water lol. Starts first kick cold, idles no problem. I replaced the oil and it certainly runs a little better. When I do change the oil I hold the kill switch and kick it to get remaining oil out and it kind of had that scratchy sort of stroke sound prior to changing oil. Sorry, hard to explain but, nothing solid of any considerable size came out. Checked strainer too, nothing.

Apologies, silver glitter. I am color blind to an extent and gold and silver are tough for me unless they are on the extreme end of either. Floating in that oil threw me off. Have more trouble with blue and black. Anyway, yeah I'm not sure if its milky looking because of that or not but I did wash my bike to showroom spec. Runs noticeably better with new oil but, what happens if I did have a bit of water in there? Should I change oil rapidly to flush? Or am I screwed? This hasn't ever happened to me. My crank is fine I was turning it yesterday when I did valves. Was pretty durn smooth. Thanks guys. I have a lot of questions and I'm in it 7 grand.

Arr right that's good new then. Probably just clutch particles, condensation and what not mate. Since I moved to a colder (damper) place i find my oil to be sometimes a little...err...cloudy. Freaked me out at first but it seems to only happen every so often, maybe three times in total. Also the head is the lowest part of the exhaust system so if any water does get in...down pipe....into head....eventually seeps past valves/piston rings...a voila, milk

Water in small concentrations like this shouldn't matter too much. I've had it so bad that the oil turned to mayonnaise after an enduro...was still sweet after a flush and the bike it still good now. (08-CRF250)

To check for particles it actually better to get some between your fingers, rub around and inspect...or better yet smear over plain white paper.

Hope all this helps some

Thanks man I appreciate it. I do live in a humid environment 50-90% humidity every day. It's totally unbearable. I'll change it again in about 1 hour and check it out