Sign in to follow this  

What is this?

New to xr bikes I have a 96 xr250l I am trying to start. Is this lever behind the kickstart essential for a running bike? Thanks!

image.jpg

Does this clutch has two levers? The clutch cable was only connected to the lever right above that.

The smaller cable is for the automatic decompressor. Its actuated by the kickstarter. Since the 250L doesn't have a manual decompression lever I would fix it.

The smaller cable is for the automatic decompressor. Its actuated by the kickstarter. Since the 250L doesn't have a manual decompression lever I would fix it.

Ok, I was under the impression the lever at the top of the cylinder was the decompression. What is that one? Also, if the decompression isn't hooked up would that cause hard starting? Sorry for all the questions, I'm used to working on small china made bikes so this was definitely an upgrade. 🙂

The lever behind the kickstarter operates the decompression lever on the head cover via the cable.

Ok, I was under the impression the lever at the top of the cylinder was the decompression. What is that one? Also, if the decompression isn't hooked up would that cause hard starting? Sorry for all the questions, I'm used to working on small china made bikes so this was definitely an upgrade. 🙂

Exactly what creeky said.

I've found that my XR250 is a bit easier to start with the cable installed. However I would focus on making sure the valves are adjusted, the carburetor is clean and the bike is making a strong spark.

Well I have no clue how the valves are. I'll look into that. I just took apart and cleaned the carb, jets were a little dirty. I think the real problem is the weak spark. I can get 11 to 13v readings per kick at the coil leads. But at the spark plug boot I can barely get .5. I can take the boot off and actually see a spark, but I think for whatever reason it loses power in the boot, if that makes sense. This bike has all replaced electrical equip because it didn't make any spark at all when I first got it.

Also it probably doesn't help I can't tighten the plug all the way. I read earlier someone took a piece of 3/4 conduit to make a spark plug tool. I'm going to try that this week.