Planning for Baja in December

Sitting at Chelo's for lunch right now. Went to Gonzaga for a few days and a rip into Coco's. Super great to meet him and see him. Our sticker is now on the front of his new sign in book, ?

We're now back in SF and planning a 4 day bikes only trip west through Mike's and on to Coyote Cals and back. Should be super fun, but I need a buzz cut and some clean socks first, haha!

• Like 2

Thats a great ride going west, consider turning south a bit to san quentin and the fish camps for bbq oysters on the beach, stop at the pex and get a couple cervesas to take with you. But don't stay too long or you will be on lights coming in to Coyote Cals if you ride all dirt north. I highly recomend a massage from Ta at Coyote Cal's, I suggest a half hour in the morning just before you ride out, most do it in the evening on arrival, Ive never ridden more loose than after her morning magic!

mtz

• Like 2

Awesome man! I'm pretty stoked to have a few days on the bikes away from the truck and it looks like and awesome little route. Ran into Team FJ at Alfonsina's last night and they had a guy named Chris on 450R with them. He tipped me off to the routes and to take the west side into Mike's after getting gas at T's. Depending how long it takes us to get to the coast (I'm guessing 3-4 hours judging from our riding so far) from Mike's we may just rip south a bit to check stuff out.

Doing laundry right now at Playa de Oro and then to Pete's for a snack and a sleep and some bike maintenance/packing. Seriously a great trip so far!

I could Def go for a shoulder massage... That rocky trail north out of Coco's that links back to 5 was gnarly... Like Rockman Trail gnarly, lol! Love it!

Seems my bike doesn't like anything street legal either, lol! Ripped the remnants of my plate holder off yesterday, but managed to score an inner fender with a brake light for el cheapo in SF today. Might put it on and wire it up... Might not... My 908 rear seems to like sucking up anything in it's way when I'm at full whack on the whoops or ticking along in 5th/6th on the roads.... Meh

• Like 1

Mike's was actually pretty cool! Rode on lights in from T's which was epic as only 2 of the 5 of us have decent lights... My Cyclops is great, but I wish I had an 8" HID instead of the stock light underneath the LED bar.

Great ride out south this morning from Mike's. We made a group of 5 all the way from SF. Picked up a 990 SE, 990 Adventure and a 690 and we have just modified our riding to suit the group. We're now on the west coast getting tacos in Punta Colonet and on to Coyote Cals shortly. It's been a sweet ride, but the 990 has had a few flats... Lol! Cheers!

When  in San Quintin give us a call...we can guide you for no charge...just fun!      over 25 years riding/racing here in Baja (we live near Old Mill on the bay)  Once in San Quintin at a hotel on the bay you can choose a daily destination like San Felipe (via-camalu to hacienda sinaloa to coyote meling to Mikes to san mateo and on to san felipe, or San Quintin to El Rosario via the San Miguel Mountain range....also coastal trails....or San Carlos, Punta Canoas, y mas! 

We ride with many other locals from Camalu,Col Vicente Guererro,San Quintin and El Rosario           www.kmfishing.com      Kelly (616) 101-4714   

Let Mexican Riders Guide you in Mexico!                                 

• Like 1

So... What would I do different? I'm not too sure. I really can't say anything bad about my bike at all. It performed flawlessly and once I realized I was riding over the limit of my usual preload amount and dialed everything up, all was well. I like a squishy bike, but it was eating things out of the fenders, lol! I didn't have one single bike related issue. Only had one flat and it was a nail. 20 mins, 2 patches later for the double tear it did on my tube and away we went! It's really hard to sum up 10 days in Baja in a few sentences... I don't know what I was expecting from the riding other than sand, rocks, dust, and cactus, but I know I wasn't expecting to enjoy the sand as much as I did! I also was blown away by my liking of night riding the 3 nights we rode late. I usually HATE riding at night, but big lights and open areas make a difference. I just zoned in and rode... was great! Being a Canadian boy used to mud and frozen mud, muddy rocks, muddy puddles, trees with muddy trails and some muddy hills it was really a complete change in mindset. You can get away with murder on the throttle in sand and really wring it out. Was a lot of fun to be able to just hang it out, run hard and ride something other than 2nd gear, haha! Oh, and did I mention there was no mud? It was also a big change in riding deep sand as almost no braking was necessary. Wanna slow down? Just ease off the throttle a bit. Maintaining a good speed and getting the bike ON the sand instead of plowing it was tough to remember the first day, but after that I was alright. Oh, and cactus ain't no joke. That sh!t sticks in EVERYTHING! Was really happy with my armor for taking most of the abuse, but really... Not hitting cactus is a smarter idea, LOL!

What will I do next time? Stay longer. Ride harder. Go later on like Feb or March or earlier in Oct/Nov so I can catch one of the races at the same time as getting some riding in. Try to pick up more random dudes to ride with (our 3 days with 3 extra riders was a blast!). Take a sat phone so I can go further south. Take more extra tubes. Have a little bigger of a backpack for the 4+ day rides away from camp/truck (one pair of underwear and socks is pushing it for a few days riding, lol!). Use a Giant Loop Coyote for tools and bits instead of the Wolfman tool pack. Get more lights (your light can NEVER be too bright). 

Oh, there is many, many photos. Tons of video too! I'm on my way out to field day after tomorrow though and am just barely getting things organized here at home now. Was a long and quiet drive home solo with the trailer in tow. Lots of reflection time for sure, ? Here's one pic just to sate some appetites.

IMAG0264_BURST010_zps82883b1f.jpg

My interwebz out in the field is uber slow so I won't be able to do much uploading or anything. Going to try to edit together a few vids and sort out pics and stuff though. Need to fire off a jump drive to the dudes in SF we rode with as our hooliganism on the lake beds and salt flats and beaches was pretty video worthy, lol! Already sort of thinking of the next trip... Perhaps even mulling the idea of building a race bike for the 250 in 2015...

I'll start loading some more pics in photobucket, ? Just doing laundry and getting straightened away to go to work... lame, lame work... I just wanna ride!

I didn't mind the whoops that much. Hard on the legs and slow, but fun nonetheless, ? If I had a choice I'd do a 250 length route from the 1000 though. The race course on the Ensenada side was a LOT more fun to ride (what we did get to ride of it). The 1000 is daunting though for a solo ride. That's a LONG ass route and I'm not in that good of shape, nor am I sponsored, etc etc... I'm just a Joe Shmoe that wants more desert riding. Hell, if I could I'd be doing the Dakar. Work and real life always gets in the way though and without a ticketed ride and a team it's nearly impossible to afford or do it due to distance and $$$. Plan A is still win the lotto, lol! (Has been for almost 2 decades now, doh!)

Here's a short on why to not lend me your moto... Thumper_calgary kept telling me about his 50% throttle stop so I asked if I could ride his WR to see what it's like. Honestly? It feels nearly identical to my KTM. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQDF9jR0t68&feature=youtu.be

Why won't embed work properly on here?

Edited by kaptinkaos