Sign in to follow this  

What premix do you guys use?

Rejetting your bike is much safer and effective. I mix my bike's gas at 50:1, never had any problems by following the carb's jetting specs for elevation and temperature.

Ok, I finally read this entire thread. Am I the only guy in the world that actually goes by the recommendations in the manual? Yeah, Motorex is expensive, but it is an $8000 bike. Is another 4 or five dollars for oil going to kill me? 60:1 seems awfully thin, but someone on TT taught me how to jet my bike, and in under thirty minutes I can have my carb in spec without guessing on the oil mix. Am I an idiot?

Ok, I finally read this entire thread. Am I the only guy in the world that actually goes by the recommendations in the manual? Yeah, Motorex is expensive, but it is an $8000 bike. Is another 4 or five dollars for oil going to kill me? 60:1 seems awfully thin, but someone on TT taught me how to jet my bike, and in under thirty minutes I can have my carb in spec without guessing on the oil mix. Am I an idiot?

no you're not an idiot, everybody jets to their own specs

no you're not an idiot, everybody jets to their own specs

That's also why the necessity of doing it.  You hear about it all the time of guys having the exact same bike but one runs lean, the other is fine - even brand new.  I'm one of the lucky ones I guess because my YZ jetting was spot-on when I bought it and I HATE jetting.

I hate jetting too. That's why I want a fi yz250 to come out for 2015

RidngsLikeCrack--gas is the crack, the carb is the crack pipe.. gotta make sure the pipe's working if you wanna get ur fix!

Lmao. That's funny right there!

Rejetting your bike is much safer and effective. I mix my bike's gas at 50:1, never had any problems by following the carb's jetting specs for elevation and temperature.

The reason I was doing this was because the bike has set for four years before I got it.

The shop was worried about the bottom end, told me to use 36:1 but it loads up too much. I was playing with the mix but still haven't gotten it. I don't have the previous owners number to call and find out what mix he ran. I only live 20 miles from where he does so jetting should be OK. I just need to figure out what ratio. Lol

I'm up to 44:1 was going to try 50:1 next. Which is what I figured he was running.

I've been told not to run a big bore at that mixture. ???? I always ran my 380 at 50:1.

I've always considered a 380 a big bore but some don't.

We ran our cr500's at 50:1 on golden spectro and turbo blue.

I just recently switched from Maxima castor 927 to Maxima Premium 2. I really liked the 927 because of the way it smells but it really is a terrible choice if you are going to be lugging it around in the woods. I never had fouling issue however I would always have to be pulling the clutch in and giving it a rev to clean it up. On top of that 927 is very dirty and gums up the PV pretty good.

I was trying to decide between Maxima Super M and Maxima Premium 2 and ended up going with the premium 2 because it has an addition TC-W3 rating which is required for marine 2-strokes. This indicated to me that it would be even cleaner burning than SuperM which has all the same ratings except TC-W3. Haven't had much time with the new oil but so far so good.

I just recently switched from Maxima castor 927 to Maxima Premium 2. I really liked the 927 because of the way it smells but it really is a terrible choice if you are going to be lugging it around in the woods. I never had fouling issue however I would always have to be pulling the clutch in and giving it a rev to clean it up. On top of that 927 is very dirty and gums up the PV pretty good.

I was trying to decide between Maxima Super M and Maxima Premium 2 and ended up going with the premium 2 because it has an addition TC-W3 rating which is required for marine 2-strokes. This indicated to me that it would be even cleaner burning than SuperM which has all the same ratings except TC-W3. Haven't had much time with the new oil but so far so good.

I've heard that maxima is gret oil

I've heard that maxima is gret oil

That it is! It's also very reasonably priced. I picked up a gallon I the premium 2 pre-mix on amazon for $43. Should be more than enough for an entire season of riding.

I used Silkolene for many years. Very excellent oil second to none. Exceptionally clean burning, I used it at 50/1. Never a single problem and long piston/ring life. Just a little hard to find for some reason. You can trust Elite with just about anything.

Edited by YHGEORGE

I did the same thing, going to be running it with Avgas. I'm hoping it will be cleaner than 927, the PV on my Dad's was gummed up so bad it wasn't opening all the way... 

I did the same thing, going to be running it with Avgas. I'm hoping it will be cleaner than 927, the PV on my Dad's was gummed up so bad it wasn't opening all the way... 

Yeah I could not figure out why the RC valve was not going through it's full range of motion until I took it apart and saw what was inside.  I look forward to see how it looks in there on my next top end running the new oil.

I use Kal-Gard, great oil.

B006DUV31G_400.jpg

I got a sponsor offer for Kal-Guard for 45% off but I don't hear enough about it. I currently se Maxima 927 in 2 stroke and amsoil in 4 stroke. Have you torn down a motor yet after using this oil?

Hey just a quicky ive got some 98 octane fuel pre mixed to run in my yz250, i pre mixed it quiet a while ago 8 weeks ish and its been say in a jerry can in my shed outside, my question to you is should i throw it away and start again or give it a good old shake and use it up?? Many thanks

Where did you get 98 octane?  Just a seperate question.   Use it for a good trail ride.  You do not need to re-shake the fuel.  Once it was mixed, its mixed.  I've used fuel that has sat longer than that.  Definatley not recommended but I have not had any issues.