250X to 150 XC?

Current ride is a 250X with 280 Athena kit, Rekluse, and the usual safety devices (Acerbis bark busters, skid plate, shark fin, etc). In fast, flowing conditions she's a dream, but in the tight & technical stuff her 255 lbs start to show.

I don't race, so the relatively mild power (around 28 hp) keeps me out of trouble. But I have a damaged shoulder, which today can handle about 20-30 minutes of technical riding before throwing up the white flag, as the X's poor power-to-weight ratio takes its toll.

So I'm thinking about coverting to the 150 XC. While power delivery will change significantly, the overall output should keep white-knuckles situations to a minimum. However, I've yet to ride the 150, and was curious if any TT'ers had compared the two.

My stats: 49 years old, 5'8", 150 lbs w/o gear. Pretty good cardio shape, and used to shifting frequently. (Despite being a bored-out 4 stroke with a Rekluse, my X requires constant attention to gearing.)

Your opinions and recommendations are appreciated,

Weave

I take it the 250X is a CRF 250X, correct?

I have a '12 KTM 250 XC that I consider my "main bike" though it only makes it out of the garage for a few hrs before a race and the race itself---then straight back into storage. Reason I don't ride it more is that I picked up a 13 Husqvarna CR 125/150. I got it for $3800 before taxes and extra goodies so I couldn't pass it up. I now put most of my hours on the 150----it is a blast to ride and is really helping me develop better technique.

I highly recommend you get a 150. They are a blast to ride and, if ridden right, can still get you that "white-knuckle" rush if you really get on it right. My 250 XC is 222 lb---the 150 is 207 and that 15 lb weight difference is very noticalbe----you'll really, really feel the weight loss and the 250 X will be collecting dust until you sell it.

I have a couple buddies with 150's. Unless you want to be riding on the pipe all the time, I don't think I'd go 150. I rode a 200 recently and wouldn't even go with that, as it hits hard and not much below. A 250 (2T) or 300 will be waaaay more "luggable" and easier to keep off the pipe in techy bits imo. But the one thing that is a major plus on 150's/200's is the ligther weight and tossability of the bike.

Edited by _LCW_

I've never rode a 150XC, but I have rode the Husky WR150 and have had plenty of time on 250F bikes. IMO the 150 is a tough machine to beat in the single track. It's easy to ride, super lightweight and makes hard sections easier. The 200 might be the better choice for an overall bike from what I read, but I don't have any seat time on one.

I ride with a guy that has a 150XC, he weighs about 190 and it scoots him around faster that he wants to go. I ride a WR250F that has a 300 cylinder, in a drag race we are about even. The only downside I can think of is that the carburetion is rather fussy, a 10 degree temperature change makes it run noticeably different. And the stock jetting chart is not very accurate. Overall it is a fantastic bike, 35+ H.P. and the weight of a 125. I doubt you will be dissapointed. If I was going to buy a bike tomorrow it would be a 150XC.

Try one first ... you a giving up a TON of low end torque in this switch.

This might be OK, if your riding style is "on the pipe", or your looking for something very tame off the bottom (which sounds like you are). I rode a 450X for a year and I still miss the torque (on a 300XC now .. good torque, but not even comparable overall) .. but not the weight.

Good luck ... ?

Edited by supervokes

The new editoon of Dirt Rider has an article on the 150SX, almost identical to the 150XC, the SX has a bigger carb, 19" wheel, stiffer suspension, pretty similar.

Anyway, the guy doing the test is Kris Keefer, he is a fast pro, and he seemed to think it was pretty good; "150cc is plenty of power for many different types of riders in a wide variety of races."

You will love it.

I came from riding a crf 250x to an 09' 300 XCW and could be happier. Keep in mind I've always ridden a thumper 4 stroke for many years and transitioning to a 300 was pretty easy. Granted the power of my 300 takes some getting used to the low end power is amazing and lug on mostly anything without getting on the pipe. I think by getting a 150, your going to feather the clutch a lot or get on the pipe to resemble the power of your 250... Oh and my 300 has electric start which is huge IMO!

Don't let the "you have to ride it on the pipe" comments trouble/dissuade you. I find that as long as you finish your braking early and keep the throttle no lower than 1/8 open when going through the start of the corner and increase the throttle going through the corner, the bike's rev are high enough to give a good response. I won B class last year but have only managed mid pack finishes in the two races I've done in A class so far (on a 250XC) but another rider on a Husky 150 is finishing around top 3 in every races he's been in for quite some time.

Don't think that a 150 has to be "screamin" to make power----that's just not the case if you concentrate on cornering technique. If you focus on proper form, the 150 will make you a better rider and is much more enjoyable than fighting a heavy, underpowered 250 4T trail bike.

If you want to get better and be able to ride longer, go with the 150 2T---if you just want a bike that doesn't care if you get lazy, then stay with a 4T---but what fun is it only being able to ride 20-30 minutes?

Listen to venturini and follow all his guild lines while your riding and see how it goes.

Best thing to do is to try a 150 if possible and go from there. You may like or you may want a 200 or bigger.