Sign in to follow this  

2006 yz250 bolts (greenish black)

I am looking for some of those greenish/black coated bolts one upper seat/side panel bolt, and the bottom side number plate bolts. Also need fork leg and triple clamp bolts. Any know where I can still buy these? Yamaha only sells the polished bolts now.

Thanks

Edited by Fasz Kalap

I would get the part number for those fasteners from a 2008 parts list.

Yamaha went to different fasteners around 2008. Our '06 YZ has the silvery bolts, while our '08 has black bolts with recessed heads. Not sure if the color is the greenish/black you mentioned, but the sizes will be the same.

The green zinc has a chromate top coat containing hexavalent chrome. It is extremely toxic (the pollution at issue in the Erin Brockovich deal) and has been basically outlawed in the European community. Manufacturers have moved this upstream, and if you want to sell to a vehicle manufacturer that does business there, you pretty much can't use it anywhere in the products you supply. Especially for a "one spec" bike like the YZ250. It was initially a technical challenge, but technology has responded and there are now non-toxic coatings with performance on par with the old ones that contained hex chrome.

Cadmium is also pretty gnarly, but it is still used in aerospace because it is supremely effective and we have this thing about airplanes falling out of the sky due to corrosion. Read up on cadmium, and you'll wash your hands after handling it.

If you really want those old bolts, look for "bolt kits" from people parting older bikes on fleabay.

• Like 2