Sign in to follow this  

california plated dirtbike , dmv posible issues?

ok guys! soo i keep spamming all over topics, my problem is i have cash in my pocket for used plated bike... your help is greatly appreciated hopefully soon ill have my next bike...

soo for example if i buy a xr650r plated in california tag up to date. could there be any issues when changing ownership at the dmv or some bullcrap like that?

i would also be using the bike for the exam, obviously it would have to have working blinkers and brakelights ...

soo whats youre 10cents on this?

Officially, someone who owned a bike prior to the cutoff and maintains the tags is in good shape. But the tags won't transfer on a bike that wasn't emissions-legal when built. You might get lucky and get it through your local DMV, have it miss being caught in Sacramento, and actually get a registration. But sooner or later, they will periodically scrub the registration list, and you will get a letter in the mail notifying you that your plate is worthless and inviting you to get a green sticker. Happened to lots of people on TT, happened to a buddy of mine. That's the only reason I got a TE610 instead of an XRR. (Two years ago, when I got the bike, I lived in Cali.) Here in TX, I can plate the two-stroke if I want to.

Edited by FRECNDY
  • Like 1

You wil never get a solid answer on TT. Safe to say there is a risk in paying top $$ for a plated dirt bike that by law should have never been given a plate. Part of the price is the plate and since it was plated by sneaking it thru some crack in the system, Yea, you could some day loose the plate.

Fair bet that older pre 2003 bikes get MUCH less atention at DMV. A plated 2002 XR650R should be a very safe buy.

I went thru this whole decision and paid a perimum for a factor street legal KTM 450exc. Then learned the lesson all over trying to get a Red Sticker for a "competition only" trials bike. I now have a whole new level of contempt for CA DMV :banghead: .

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 1

thanks guys, i think ill just get a drz400s... im just affraid its gonna disapoint in the trails-desert riding.... my last bike was a yz450f 2004....

thanks guys, i think ill just get a drz400s... im just affraid its gonna disapoint in the trails-desert riding.... my last bike was a yz450f 2004....

Not that I know this but I thought the KTMs are better than the drz.....why not look into one if those instead?? Unless it's a cost issue, which I totally get.

I went thru this whole decision and paid a perimum for a factor street legal KTM 450exc. Then learned the lesson all over trying to get a Red Sticker for a "competition only" trials bike. I now have a whole new level of contempt for CA DMV :banghead: .

I thought that if a bike didn't qualify for a plate or green sticker then by default it gets a red sticker?

I thought that if a bike didn't qualify for a plate or green sticker then by default it gets a red sticker?

Only if the importer submited the exact model/year to CARB for aproval. CARB rejects it and it gets a Red Sticker.

Take a 2006 Beta Rev3 250 trials - it was never submitted to CARB in 2006. It will never be a legit Red Sticker bike. Take one into to DMV and you could be sent to a special investigations division of CHP and threated with criminal action for even bring it into CA... don't ask how I know this. :devil:

Only if the importer submited the exact model/year to CARB for aproval. CARB rejects it and it gets a Red Sticker.

Take a 2006 Beta Rev3 250 trials - it was never submitted to CARB in 2006. It will never be a legit Red Sticker bike. Take one into to DMV and you could be sent to a special investigations division of CHP and threated with criminal action for even bring it into CA... don't ask how I know this. :devil:

That sound insane, the last part of this!!

I'm guessing that bike you mentioned wasn't sold new in CA.

That sound insane, the last part of this!!

I'm guessing that bike you mentioned wasn't sold new in CA.

I got the Rev3 from a guy at Tahoe who at the last second told me it was from NY with no title. Figured how hard could it be, I have titled many old 70s bikes I restored.. Got a whole new level of TOOLing from DMV. They were going to go after Beta too for trying to get me a MSO.

There's a sorted history of CARB going after CA dealers selling trials bikes. Quite the drama. At least the new GasGas and Beta are legit in CA now.

Edited by DrKayak

I've only been out here for 7yrs and my truck still has ny plates. The only ca plate I have is my excr I bought used here.

I don't recall any dirtbikes in ny being titled, that's what's so weird out here. I had a used xr250r waaaay back, don't recall any paper.

What's carb's hard-on going after trials bikes, they're gross polluters?!!

Good thing they keep those gross polluting trials bikes off the streets. There are just too many of them and people ride them everywhere for miles and miles we would all die of asphyxiation without CARB...

Wonder if they would pull the same shit on me if I tried to register my '12 superjet here. Not legally CA sold either.

• Like 1

Good thing they keep those gross polluting trials bikes off the streets. There are just too many of them and people ride them everywhere for miles and miles we would all die of asphyxiation without CARB...

Wonder if they would pull the same shit on me if I tried to register my '12 superjet here. Not legally CA sold either.

Talk about complete lack of reason on behalf of the state. I can haul my bike in my truck or SUV and burn 20+ gallons up/back and that's ok. But the 2.6 I burn when riding is somehow the end of the planet when I do it a few times a month.

What's carb's hard-on going after trials bikes, they're gross polluters?!!

Just like any out of control Bureaucracy --- you don't follow their process you will suffer greatly. Trials importers were bringing in a few 100 bikes a year, the few that went to CA were not worth the hassle to apply for CARB cert. Mores and others were caught selling them in CA and fined. One shop in SoCal can't sell bikes for 5 years over the deal.

Thankfully Lewis Sports has stepped up and applied for CARB cert on all the bikes they sell.

For me this drama forced me to sell a "as-new" 2006 and get a 2013 just to get a Red Stcker. $3,000 upgrade just so I could trail ride and practice on public lands. :foul:

Edited by DrKayak

ok guys! soo i keep spamming all over topics, my problem is i have cash in my pocket for used plated bike... your help is greatly appreciated hopefully soon ill have my next bike...

soo for example if i buy a xr650r plated in california tag up to date. could there be any issues when changing ownership at the dmv or some bullcrap like that?

i would also be using the bike for the exam, obviously it would have to have working blinkers and brakelights ...

soo whats youre 10cents on this?

If the bike was plated before 2/2004 you'll be fine.

Guys have plated bikes after that date, and if you get one, you risk the DMV not renewing the registration for the plate on that bike. Bikes that are CARB compliant that come plated from the factory are not a problem (Husky TE's from 06 on etc)..

I have been sweating bullets ever since I bought that 2 stroke chain saw in AZ and transported it cross CA border. We've lined all windows with newspaper and never go outside now.

• Like 1

Not that I know this but I thought the KTMs are better than the drz.....why not look into one if those instead?? Unless it's a cost issue, which I totally get.

what ktms are street legal from factory?