Sign in to follow this  

Nevada Possibility of making an 05 yz250 street legal in Nevada?

Im trying to find information on what it takes to make a yz250 street legal, I understand dot approved tires are needed as well as all the lights and turns signals. What else is needed?

Im trying to find information on what it takes to make a yz250 street legal, I understand dot approved tires are needed as well as all the lights and turns signals. What else is needed?

Add horn and mirrors to that and you've got it covered. I was thinking the same thing, doing a 2 stroke as a conversion.

Add horn and mirrors to that and you've got it covered. I was thinking the same thing, doing a 2 stroke as a conversion.

Doesnt sound too bad, but where can I can power for the lights ?

Doesnt sound too bad, but where can I can power for the lights ?

E-line used to make a 150 watt stator for our yz's but they stopped making them, if you can find one on ebay, that would work. I think there is a user on here that makes high watt stators for yz's, try the yamaha 2 stroke forum.

You could also go for a battery pack, but you'd have to charge it constantly.

E-line used to make a 150 watt stator for our yz's but they stopped making them, if you can find one on ebay, that would work. I think there is a user on here that makes high watt stators for yz's, try the yamaha 2 stroke forum.

You could also go for a battery pack, but you'd have to charge it constantly.

Hmm Ill check it out, also I couldnt find that user. Would you happen to know of the thread?

hodgkins makes them and is that user, you can PM him. I made my 99 KX250 legal here in Nevada and my friend made his 13 KTM300 legal too.

Here is a thread on my bike http://www.thumperta...de-as-of-today/.

Ed

I was thinking about using a 2nd battery to power the headlight, what do think? Im no planning on riding at night, just a street legal day dirt machine

I was thinking about using a 2nd battery to power the headlight, what do think? Im no planning on riding at night, just a street legal day dirt machine

Just use the battery to run everything and get your plate. I used the AC for the head light cuz I had the stuff to do it but when I licensed it I just had the battery only wired to everything and it went fine.

Ed

I also forgot to mention, you need DOT tires. I've been looking through the DMV requirements and making a list for my XR250R, just waiting for my title before I bite the bullet.

Here in AZ (yes I know it's not Nevada), they don't actually inspect the bikes. So even though you *should* have certain things installled, you don't *need* them to get a plate. So things like DOT tires don't matter, and even if you're pulled over it's likely the cop wouldn't say anything about the tires, even though they are supposedly required. There may be a difference on what's written as a requirement, and what the cops care about, so check to see what other people have been docked for in the past. Like the horn, sure it's a safety thing, but it could be that nobody cares. Here you can still use hand signals in-leu of turn signals. The biggest items are headlight, and tail/brake light, for these they will give you a ticket for. So it kinda of depends on how much you want to do, and the likelyhood that the po-po cares about it. Lots of guys here just do the minimum because they use their bikes on the roads just to travel from one trail to another.

Edited by yellowdatsun

From what I've read here in Nevada, you get the bike ready and then go to a dealer or someone that certifies it.  Then you take the certification and title to the DMV.

There was a company on CL awhile back that was renting/selling the needed equipment, then doing the certification as well.   Once your bike was certified, you could either buy and keep the equipment on your bike, or give it back and pay a usage fee.   

Check out the Tusk Enduro lighting kit. The kit includes everything needed to make street legal minus the headlight. The kit is all self powered with a rechargeable  NiCad battery pack. If you don't need/want a headlight then this kit will get your bike legal as far as lighting, horn, mirror, and place to mount your plate. I used this kit to make my KLX300 street legal in AZ.  The LED turn signals and tail/brake light are really nice, and don't draw much power. The unit has a master switch so when you get to the trails you can turn off the lights, and save battery power. The charge will last for several hours, and I have yet to run out of battery power while riding on the street between trails.  The kit is under $200.00, and works well/well made.

I just got the Tusk kit, and it's pretty comprehensive.   The only thing is it only has one brake light switch, and Nevada wants both brakes switched.  

So I ordered an extra hydraulic switch and it was shipped at the same time.   All the wiring and the battery pack is included, so you're not trying to splice into the existing wiring harness.  

I haven't installed it yet, but a buddy has done two of them and he swears by this kit.   Not bad for under $200.

I just got the Tusk kit, and it's pretty comprehensive.   The only thing is it only has one brake light switch, and Nevada wants both brakes switched.  

So I ordered an extra hydraulic switch and it was shipped at the same time.   All the wiring and the battery pack is included, so you're not trying to splice into the existing wiring harness.  

I haven't installed it yet, but a buddy has done two of them and he swears by this kit.   Not bad for under $200.

It's a really nice kit for the money. I've been using mine for several months now, and have ridden single track, double track, sand washes, jumping, and some crashes, and the Tusk enduro light kit still works flawlessly. Wiring is easy (it's pretty much plug and play), most of install time is spent routing and hiding the wires neatly, mounting the lights and other components.

I installed the Tusk DS kit in 2 evenings and it all went very smoothly.   Make sure you read the wiring diagram, since the wires that plug into each other aren't ALWAYS the came color.

I left the headlight alone since it was already powered, but ran the tail light off the Tusk kit to integrate the brake lights.

You can also add a resistor to the bike and then bring bike power into the Tusk wiring harness, to remove the battery pack completely.  

I haven't done that yet, but my buddy says it's a $5 part at Radio Shack, and pretty easy to do.

Adding another wire/switch for the brake light is easy. They make generic hydraulic switches for the handelbar master cylinder, and then just join those wires to the foot brake ones.