Sign in to follow this  

DR650 headlight on/off switch relay

CAM00055.jpgI have a 2008 DR650SE and have read several forums regaurding installing an on/off switch for the main headlamp as US models do not have this capability. I think I have a safe, cheap $10.00 solution which should work relying on the side kickstand switch to turn on/off the headlamp via a relay (as i usually start the DR while it is on it's sidestand which would keep the headlamp off, and when it would be raised up the headlamp would come on). I have some limited experience with relays but have a question about wiring it in. I plan to install a 4 prong relay which will be swithched/activated (using the side stand switch connected to post 85) to turn off either high/low beam when the kick stand is down. My question is: Can I use the NEGATIVE wiring from the headlamp (shared by both low and high beam and goes to neg batt) and splice it to post 87 and then connect post 30 to neg batt? The reason I ask is because most relay diagrams show post 87 and post 30 interrupting/swiiching the POSITIVE side (i.e., the lamp and the fused positive batt) and not interrupting/switching the NEGATIVE side of the headlamp (i.e., headlamp negative side to neg batt). It seems reasonable that it wouldn't matter but I dont want to find out through trial and error and fry wiring. The reason I want to use the negative side is I can only figure out, using just one relay, how to interrupt EITHER high OR low beam (not both at the same time) usung the posive side as they each have independent wiring. BTW, I will supply power to post 86 from ignition on positive. If I've thoroughly confused everyone, Here's my diagram plan

CAM00055.jpg

Bypass the kikstand switch and use a simple oushbutton on an off switch.u should be able to use both grounds together too.

• Like 1

Thanx for the quick reply. Yea I thought of that, but that would require me to remember to actually turn the headlight on, or in my case off before each start as I have to run headlights during the night and day here in the USA. The side stand switch seems like its a no brainer because its usually down when I'm starting the bike, warming it up, and of course raised before I actually move (which would automatically turn on the light). I don't really have a need to turn off the light while riding/moving, but I do want it off for starting...especially in cold weather/camping. I'm also wary about interrupiting/activating the headlight wiring without a relay as that might cause a small installed switch arcing damage. I was also trying to keep kind of an asthetic clean look without switches on handlebars or hdden under cowlings, etc. But, you think it is OK to interrupt the negative side of the headlight for switching purposes, right?

If your objective is simply to remove the electrical load of the headlight when starting why not use the starter button as the trigger for your relay (primary). That's the way Honda does it on most of their bikes. Push the starter button and and the headlight turns off. Works great and you never have to think about it again.

I like that idea. I'll think about how to do that....maybe use a five post relay with 87A being interrupted via the starter button (essentially cutting power to the headlight relay during starts...good food for thought, thanks!

Never used one like that before..., I've always used open and power closes it style...Bosch style maybe? Anyway, will check NAPA, I'm sure they''ll have it, I have a standard pre-wired harness. Thanx for the heads up.

Follow up: Installed the relay behind/above the headlight inside the number plate. I ended up going with TN2Wheeler's suggestion of using the starter button as the trigger on my relay. I wired it slightly different from my original posted diagram and will explain below. I did end up using a 5 post relay as it was the cheapest (and as I found out Post 87A is N.C. or Normally Closed...until triggered and then opens/interrupts the circuit. Post 87 (which I did not use) is the opposite...N. O. or Normally Open...and then closes when triggered/powered completing the circuit.

Here is how I actually wired the relay. Post 86 tap spliced into to the yellow/green positive wire (from the starter button), post 85 straight to ground/negative, post 87A butt connected to the common black/white wire (negative) coming out of the headlight H4 connector (which I cut about 2 inches from connector to butt connect into), and finally post 30 butt connected to the other end of the cut black/white (negative) which goes back to negative battery.

All wiring is accessible within inches of each other and easily accomplished if the number plate and headlight are removed. Works perfect, the headlight (both high and low beam) shuts off during start-up while the starter button is pushed and then comes back on as soon as the button is released. Everything looks clean and slick. Exactly what I wanted. Thanks guys!

Edited by judomax625
  • Like 2

Follow up: Installed the relay behind/above the headlight inside the number plate. I ended up going with TN2Wheeler's suggestion of using the starter button as the trigger on my relay. I wired it slightly different from my original posted diagram and will explain below. I did end up using a 5 post relay as it was the cheapest (and as I found out Post 87A is N.C. or Normally Closed...until triggered and then opens/interrupts the circuit. Post 87 (which I did not use) is the opposite...N. O. or Normally Open...and then closes when triggered/powered completing the circuit.

Here is how I actually wired the relay. Post 86 tap spliced into to the yellow/green positive wire (from the starter button), post 85 straight to ground/negative, post 87A butt connected to the common black/white wire (negative) coming out of the headlight H4 connector (which I cut about 2 inches from connector to butt connect into), and finally post 30 butt connected to the other end of the cut black/white (negative) which goes back to negative battery.

All wiring is accessible within inches of each other and easily accomplished if the number plate and headlight are removed. Works perfect, the headlight (both high and low beam) shuts off during start-up while the starter button is pushed and then comes back on as soon as the button is released. Everything looks clean and slick. Exactly what I wanted. Thanks guys!

Hey judomax 

any problems with this mod , going to have a go my self. Think its a great solution to the problem . Any additional advice . J

No problems with the relay. I have had probably a thousand plus starts since the install without a single issue. Also, no battery probs yet either. I believe I used NAPA Auto parts for the 5 post relay...maybe 13 bucks?

• Like 1

Good idea. I think both solutions in combination would be awesome. That is the sidestand and push button to be fool proof. The amount of times I've jumped off my bike and run off to check something out leaving the headlight on by accident astounds me 🙄. Need to learn to use the ignition key to turn off. Oh and for anyone looking for more more cranking power I am running a lithium ion battery on my dr650. Twice the cranking power and service life and at 1/3 of the weight. A battery with more juice is always a welcome addition when trying to start the DR after being on it's side after a fall.

I'm about to buy a '2000 DR 650 and its got just 20,000 kms on it. I wanted to post a pic of it but the add online is gone. 

The bike fired up after a couple turns ( I didnt grenade it or even touch throttle just to see if it would start on its own ) ( I guess its normal for them to be like that ) . The bike sounded good. No smoke.

Can anyone please tell  me what I should look, or listen for. The only thing he said needs done is the sprockets a little bit worn. 

Thanks a lot in advance. I appreciate it

I'm about to buy a '2000 DR 650 and its got just 20,000 kms on it. I wanted to post a pic of it but the add online is gone. 

The bike fired up after a couple turns ( I didnt grenade it or even touch throttle just to see if it would start on its own ) ( I guess its normal for them to be like that ) . The bike sounded good. No smoke.

Can anyone please tell  me what I should look, or listen for. The only thing he said needs done is the sprockets a little bit worn. 

Thanks a lot in advance. I appreciate it

Its a bit late to be responding but , see if you are allowed to remove the drive sprocked cover and check the wear , I remember looking at an africa twin one time where the previous Owner (PO) welded  this sprocked to the out put shaft. Id look for some idea of service , grease , oil, etc on linkages and pivots.