Sign in to follow this  

DR650 headlight on/off switch relay

Waiting for my rear shock to come back from North Dublin Motorcycles cost €230 to get it re sealed , but got the shaft re chromed  , new bladder , new seals and some extra valves . Really looking forward to getting th bike back on the road .

If your objective is simply to remove the electrical load of the headlight when starting why not use the starter button as the trigger for your relay (primary). That's the way Honda does it on most of their bikes. Push the starter button and and the headlight turns off. Works great and you never have to think about it again

I know this is an old post, but, If that is all you want to do (have the head light not on while cranking) than use the starter side of your starter relay as the ground point for your headlight. This will switch the headlight off while cranking and back on when the starter is not engaged. I do this to all of my bikes. It's easy, and does not require the use of any additional relays.

starterrelay_zpsd793a093.jpg

the headlight grounds through the starter when the starter is not engaged. once the starter solenoid is activated + voltage is available at this terminal and the headlights no longer have a ground (turn off) when the starter button is released you once again have a good ground for your headlights. 

Edited by stretch160
  • Like 1

I know this is an old post, but, If that is all you want to do (have the head light not on while cranking) than use the starter side of your starter relay as the ground point for your headlight. This will switch the headlight off while cranking and back on when the starter is not engaged. I do this to all of my bikes. It's easy, and does not require the use of any additional relays.

starterrelay_zpsd793a093.jpg

the headlight grounds through the starter when the starter is not engaged. once the starter solenoid is activated + voltage is available at this terminal and the headlights no longer have a ground (turn off) when the starter button is released you once again have a good ground for your headlights. 

stretch160,  I dont know how to thank you man thats a real clever solution thank's man.

Edited by Paddy Dakar

Waiting for my rear shock to come back from North Dublin Motorcycles cost €230 to get it re sealed , but got the shaft re chromed  , new bladder , new seals and some extra valves . Really looking forward to getting th bike back on the road .

Got the Shock back into the bike on Monday night Rode to work on Tuesday man really love this bike.

Stretch,

I would like to do this to my dr650. Details please on how to do this

thanks, JC

Thanks Stretch 160 for the ingenious solution. I'll probably use the starter relay setup on my future bikes.

Edited by judomax625