Sign in to follow this  

Anyone ever take apart silverado leaf spring assembly?

I am trying to install a skyjacker add a leaf kit on my 2002 1500 silverado. I can't put it in because the damn eye bolt is one piece with the metal spacer block... They only sent me just the eye bolt! What the hell do I do? Skyjacker and auto anything are both no longer willing to help me. This whole thing has been a complete fail.

I guess the purpose of this thread is to see if the spacer block and eye bolt are 2 piece one other silverados, or if my truck is the only one

Hit it harder.

Seriously, I read your other thread too. The block is seperate, the head of the bolt is round and fits very tightly into the block, but is not part of it. Drop the axle away from the block and spring, then beat the daylights out of the block. It will let go eventually.

Once a bit of rust sets in I have never had luck getting the leaf center bolt out. I just clamp the pack with 2 big c clamps and hit the nut with a grinder, might even need to hammer the bolt out.

Is that you in the picture?If so ,I dont think youll have to much trouble finding someone willing to help...

but ya Adam728 has the rite answer...I think..

Don't mean to be stubborn but it is one piece, I know this for fact because the nub that sticks out of the block to hold it on the axel is the same piece of metal, it was forged that way, really wish I would had taken pic when I had it out

well im not knokin you for bein stubborn or for anything but can you tell how the bolt is actually attached to the spacer?is it welded?is it pressed?cause they dont make parts with bolts stickingout of them...Somewhere along the linethat bolt was put through that spacer...So either drive it out,break it off and drill it,Are you sure that you even still use the spacer with the new leaf?Maby its no longer needed cause the leaf takes its place....then put in thr new bolt and wahlah..Very Important ,make sure to use never seize on the u-bolts and make sure to re-torque the nuts shortly after driving

I havent ever in my life seen a lift block with an integrated center bolt, and if you really do have a pair, you should pitch em in the garbage. You have to pull the center bolt to put the add a leafs in anyways, so put the new bolt in and either get decent lift blocks or go without and crank the front to match. You have the 63" springs which dont come stock with blocks AFAIK, and that center bolt will come out if the springs havent been tampered with.

And almost all blocks are molded that way, with a nub on the bottom to center on the axle and a hole in the top to center the spring.

Edited by uuhhhh

I havent ever in my life seen a lift block with an integrated center bolt, and if you really do have a pair, you should pitch em in the garbage. You have to pull the center bolt to put the add a leafs in anyways, so put the new bolt in and either get decent lift blocks or go without and crank the front to match. You have the 63" springs which dont come stock with blocks AFAIK, and that center bolt will come out if the springs havent been tampered with.

And almost all blocks are molded that way, with a nub on the bottom to center on the axle and a hole in the top to center the spring.

The way I see it there should not be a nub molded, because the head of the center bolt is the nub...in a normal set up, I guess mine ain't normal...

Well moving to plan B since skyjacker blows and wount help me....gonna just order some new oem blocks

Not sure if this will help, but I just worked on my son's Jeep Cheerokee rear leaf springs as he wanted to add a leaf to the spring pack.  We removed the u-bolts holding the springs to the axle.  Hit the axle a couple of times and it separated from the springs.  Then we used a cutting tool to cut the head of the bolt holding the springs together.  After it popped, we drove the rest of the bolt out of the spring pack.  We also the cut the bands holding the springs together.   We reshuffled the springs by adding in the extra leaf, then used the supplied longer bolt to assemble everything together.  Aligned the protruding head of the bolt on the spring pack to the mating detent in the axle and re-assembled the u-bolts.  We then used a series of jacks and c-clamps to compress the springs and put on new bands to band the springs together.  Took us about 3.5 hours to do both sides.