YZX

What did you do to your YZ 2 stroke today?

6 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Gotta love how he has his safety glasses on his head. As the saying goes:

“John didn’t wear his safety glasses. Now he doesn’t need them any longer.”

And he sticks his face right into it, then his body behind the cap. 

NUTS! 

Ever have a shard of metal pulled out of your eye buy the ophthalmologist, I have and it is not fun? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GettingThere said:

Yes, his 250 ran great with the Pro Circuit on it and it will probably go back on pretty soon after I fix it. The bike definitely looks better with it on :thumbsup: It has always seemed like a very quick bike. I have heard the stock pipes work well. I put a flywheel weight on it and changed the timing at the same time I put the stock pipe on so it is hard to compare. I was actually trying to get more torque like our 2001 250. The 2001 is super torquey and will lug awesome.

You pretty much described my bike.  "01 YZ250, FWW, bumped the timing just a little, PC Platinum pipe.  LOVE the characteristics of the motor.  Actually, when I got it bone stock, except for the pipe, traction was the biggest problem if you didn't have a BRAND NEW rear tire.  Sure did nice, easy instant wheelies in 4th & 5th.  I miss that.  The FWW (13 oz.) kind of kills that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

The OEM pipe on the standard 250 is awesome. I probably have one in the garage in AZ if your interested in one down the road. 

I'll remember that Doc, in case I need one.  I looked for a while on ebay and saw everything but OEM.

Gotta love how he has his safety glasses on his head. As the saying goes:

“John didn’t wear his safety glasses. Now he doesn’t need them any longer.”

Those aren’t safety glasses, they are reading glasses. Better for small debris but if there was something large you would have that as well as sharp glass stuck in your eye.

7 hours ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

And he sticks his face right into it, then his body behind the cap. 

NUTS! 

Ever have a shard of metal pulled out of your eye buy the ophthalmologist, I have and it is not fun? 

I thought the same thing when I first watched it when he steps behind the cap :wacko: He is definitely very comfortable doing this. I pointed the caps away from anything I was worried about being hit and did not get behind them :thumbsup: The reason I liked his video is he used a good heat source and high pressure. His results seemed much better then any other video I could find. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, motoxvet said:

You pretty much described my bike.  "01 YZ250, FWW, bumped the timing just a little, PC Platinum pipe.  LOVE the characteristics of the motor.  Actually, when I got it bone stock, except for the pipe, traction was the biggest problem if you didn't have a BRAND NEW rear tire.  Sure did nice, easy instant wheelies in 4th & 5th.  I miss that.  The FWW (13 oz.) kind of kills that.

Gotta love these old Yamaha's :thumbsup: Our 2000 and 2001 are both great but the different characteristics between the two are pretty noticeable. I'm trying to get the 2000 to lug/ tractor as well as the 2001 since most of what we ride is pretty slow moving stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, motoxvet said:

I'll remember that Doc, in case I need one.  I looked for a while on ebay and saw everything but OEM.

Just a FYI. The one that I straightened and have on the 2000 in the pictures is off a 2006. It fits great. I think you can find the 2006 and up cheaper and in better shape if you get looking again.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 8:57 PM, GettingThere said:

Gotta love these old Yamaha's :thumbsup: Our 2000 and 2001 are both great but the different characteristics between the two are pretty noticeable. I'm trying to get the 2000 to lug/ tractor as well as the 2001 since most of what we ride is pretty slow moving stuff.

I put a 13oz flywheel on mine, I can go down to a few rpms and come right back out of it in 2nd. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

I put a 13oz flywheel on mine, I can go down to a few rpms and come right back out of it in 2nd. 

Yep, the FWW is nice. I added one to the 2000 as the 2001 already had one. The 2000 also had an aftermarket crank that has the flywheel key slot cut in the wrong position. I got the timing set the same between the two bikes. They both have Kingers 40 power jet setup and they both will lug down low and come right back up but the 2001 just feels more torquey. Maybe there were slight cylinder porting changes between the two years or slightly different power valve springs. I have not dug into that yet. Possibly the feel between two different bikes that are 18 and 19 years old :wacko: Oh yeah, they both have stock pipes on them at the moment but the 2000 has a pipe off a 2006. The 2000 also has V-Force 2 reeds and the 2001 is stock. Compression test is almost identical between the two.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GettingThere said:

Yep, the FWW is nice. I added one to the 2000 as the 2001 already had one. The 2000 also had an aftermarket crank that has the flywheel key slot cut in the wrong position. I got the timing set the same between the two bikes. They both have Kingers 40 power jet setup and they both will lug down low and come right back up but the 2001 just feels more torquey. Maybe there were slight cylinder porting changes between the two years or slightly different power valve springs. I have not dug into that yet. Possibly the feel between two different bikes that are 18 and 19 years old :wacko: Oh yeah, they both have stock pipes on them at the moment but the 2000 has a pipe off a 2006. The 2000 also has V-Force 2 reeds and the 2001 is stock. Compression test is almost identical between the two.

I'm running pro circuit pipe/silencer and fww but stock otherwise.

I read a interesting post on here somewhere from years ago that the guy would fill 2 ports(can't remember which) with jb weld and it increased low end but maintained good power. JB in my motor sounded abit scary to me but he sounded very confident. Might try a search on that.

1 hour ago, Smoking 2's said:

I'm running pro circuit pipe/silencer and fww but stock otherwise.

I read a interesting post on here somewhere from years ago that the guy would fill 2 ports(can't remember which) with jb weld and it increased low end but maintained good power. JB in my motor sounded abit scary to me but he sounded very confident. Might try a search on that.

I saw that mentioned just recently by someone I think in Australia. May be worth researching a little, but JB Weld in the motor would probably make me worry a little. The bikes in all honesty do everything we need them to do, but it just always has me trying to make one as good as the other.

Just got the forks and shock back from factory connection they were quick getting everything done for me. I haven’t had a chance to ride it yet but it feels better already just sitting on it. Also removed the graphics because I have new ones on the way with my new number for this year

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GettingThere said:

I saw that mentioned just recently by someone I think in Australia. May be worth researching a little, but JB Weld in the motor would probably make me worry a little. The bikes in all honesty do everything we need them to do, but it just always has me trying to make one as good as the other.

I'm not sure about JB weld, but I know DEVCON will hold up. I've used it in many motors and it held up for years. Transfer ports cooler than you think, most of the time.

Jon Fitzpatrick of FTZ us to do a "D" port on four stroke heads with a filler that I was told was DEVCON also and he used it in the exhaust ports, too.

• Like 1

I've heard about that, they used it to raise port height I think or to increase port velocity by narrowing them. I think I read about it in an Eric Gorr publication, cool stuff.
  • Like 1

Wondering if I should piss off my neighbors tomorrow by starting my 400 20190111_155352.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ASP1227 said:

Wondering if I should piss off my neighbors tomorrow by starting my 400 emoji38.png20190111_155352.jpeg

Have you checked on that GO FUND ME page to help recover that seat?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, motoxvet said:

New style is all, better grip that way😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

yeah I need to do something about that. I really wish I could take it to Kansas, if anything else I'd have plenty of time to work on restoring it there in the garage. Before that I need to figure out why I keep getting pinch flats on the front rim, did it to like 3 different tubes. I think I may need to check the inside of it for sharp edges or something