Sign in to follow this  

Found a carb today for my XR100R (I hope!)

The carb is from a 2002 XR100R. It is complete as far as I can tell and only the jet needle seems to be corroded. It is marked as follows: KEI HIN JAPAN, PD, C3LWPH7, and inside the air intake it says 52.

I had installed a Chinese carb on my 1998 XR100R because the OEM carb was missing from the bike when I bought it. The Chinese carb is actually working pretty well, but I would like to put the KEI HIN on it if possible.

I assume the first step is to disassemble carb, clean it, and replace parts as required. What else should I know before I start?

Thanks.

Check and make sure the needles and other jets and such are the stock size. :) good luck!

I finished the clean-up today and put the carb back together. The main jet is a 95 and the pilot is a 38. I still have to come up with an O-ring to go between the carb and the manifold. I reused all the other rubber parts, but the O-ring was ruined.

And speaking of rubber washers, the diagram indicates a rubber washer in the pilot screw recess. How does one change that?

I will be pleasantly surprised to get an answer here. Either I don't know how to post, or the forum is poorly attended, or something. Maybe it's a closed club.

Edited by tracecom

I finished the clean-up today and put the carb back together. The main jet is a 95 and the pilot is a 38. I still have to come up with an O-ring to go between the carb and the manifold. I reused all the other rubber parts, but the O-ring was ruined.

And speaking of rubber washers, the diagram indicates a rubber washer in the pilot screw recess. How does one change that?

I will be pleasantly surprised to get an answer here. Either I don't know how to post, or the forum is poorly attended, or something. Maybe it's a closed club.

Just take the carb and manifold with you to any local auto parts store, they generally have a pretty good supply of o-rings so you shouldn't have any trouble matching one up. As for the tiny o-ring in the fuel screw, just use the one from the Chinese carb if the Keihin doesn't have one but reuse the Keihin fuel screw. The rubber ring comes out after you remove the screw and spring, it's really small so careful you don't loose it.

Racer,

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to have an OEM carb and will install it later this week when I go back to the farm (where the bike is.) I think I will order a full gasket kit for about $10; then my "new" carb should be in good shape. I also have a replacment front brake lever to install.

Racer,

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to have an OEM carb and will install it later this week when I go back to the farm (where the bike is.) I think I will order a full gasket kit for about $10; then my "new" carb should be in good shape. I also have a replacment front brake lever to install.

A few tips for cleaning the new carb: Use a spray can carb. cleaner with the straw insert, and spray out all the passage ways including the small holes in the carb throat and be sure you can clearly see through both jets when held up to a light source. Also spray some carb. cleaner on a cotton swap and clean the seat where the float valve rests. If the carb kit comes with new jets, I'd suggest not using them as they are likely to be Chinese knock offs and the quality control will not be up to Keihin jets [meaning just b/c they say #95 on them may or may not mean they are actually the same as a Keihin #95 main jet] Also check the float level, hold the carb upside down and as the float tang JUST touches the pin of the float valve, measure from the base of the carb. [where the float bowl would meet the carb.] to the highest point on the float, it should be .49 inches or 12.5mm. You may have to turn the carb. slowly so the tang doesn't push in the float valve pin. If need be, bend the small tang on the float in order to get the correct measurement. Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Racer

Be advised that there is also a very small flat washer on the fuel screw, it is easy to lose. If you buy the complete gasket set shown as part #1 on this microfiche diagram, you will get all the replacement gaskets and o-rings that are numbered as 1, including the fuel screw o-ring and flat washer.

http://www.discounthondaparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2489215&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2001&fveh=131810

• Like 1

Good news. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb with new gaskets, and installed it in the bike last night. I had the fuel mix screw out two turns from the bottom, and the idle screw about the same. The engine started on the second kick (no choke), but it went dead when I released the throttle. I turned the idle screw out and got the idle set, and rode the bike; it ran really well with no adjustment to the mix screw required. It seemed to be a little stronger than it was with the Chinese carb, but that's a subjective observation that is perhaps based on wishful thinking. In any case, I am glad to have an OEM carb on the bike.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by tracecom

Good news. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb with new gaskets, and installed it in the bike last night. I had the fuel mix screw out two turns from the bottom, and the idle screw about the same. The engine started on the second kick (no choke), but it went dead when I released the throttle. I turned the idle screw out and got the idle set, and rode the bike; it ran really well with no adjustment to the mix screw required. It seemed to be a little stronger than it was with the Chinese carb, but that's a subjective observation that is perhaps based on wishful thinking. In any case, I am glad to have an OEM carb on the bike.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the update, that's great to hear! :thumbsup: