Sign in to follow this  

Hello, just got a CRF450 and have a couple questions

Hello, guys just wanted to jump on and introduce myself along with ask a couple questions.

I've been riding all my life with the exception of the last 5 years or so (got married, had a kid).  The last bike I was on was the YZ400F.  Loved that bike.  Lots of good memories.

Anyway had an opportunity to get a good deal on a 2005 CRF450 and got permission from the boss :)  When I did the prebuy inspection everything felt great, no issued whatsoever.  I changed the oils/filter, cleaned it up, and took it riding for the first time today.

Overall it went real well but I do have a couple of questions for you CRF pros.  

1) Throughout the few hour ride (agressive fast/slow trails) the clutch needed to be constantly adjusted to feel right. Even to the point of not engaging at all.  Is this normal?  The owner said that he put a Hinson Clutch in it (and it does have the Hinson Clutch cover).

2) Every time I started and would slowly release the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear the clutch would slip a lot until I got going.  Didn't seem to have a problem once I was up to speed.

The bike didn't exhibit any of these characteristics when I did the test ride (granted that was only for 10 minutes).  The only thing that I changed was the oil.  (using Supertech 15w40 as per a few others' recommendations).  Put in the exact amount the service manual calls for.  Does anyone know if I need to be putting more in with this Hinson clutch?

Thanks,

Brian

I was told by hinson to run 200cc more, but some run that much more with the stock cover anyway.

The supertech may be your problem right there. Not good for wet clutches.

Supertech as with a lot of automobile engine oils have Moly, slips clutch bad.  Change your gear box side with wet clutch approved or the shell rotella 15-40 and the slip will stop.  I made this mistake years ago putting schaefers with moly and man what a slipping mess.  It came right back as soon as I put in wet clutch approved oil.  Honda gear oils is good, belray gearsaver is good.  anything .  I also run 24oz in an 06 450r in 10-40 or 10-50.  Any wet clutch approved should fix your problem.  Moly oils in the engine side is not an issue

Edited by ramjetV8

Oils that are approved for wet clutch motorcycle applications have the JASO-MA rating on the label. I too run Rotella Triple T (white bottle). You will find that it has this rating along with the fully synthetic (blue bottle), however the semi-synthetic (silver bottle) does not.  Just look for the rating and you will be ok. 

As others have stated use the correct oil in the tranny side. I personally run amsoil synthetic 10w40. Its a bit expensive but shifting & clutch action are much better than with lesser oils I have used. On my crf I also found that I still had to adjust the clutch cable more often than I cared for even with the correct oil & a fresh clutch. I installed some Barnett heavy duty clutch springs (cost all of $21) & that issue was a thing of the past. Clutch feels better all around as well with the heavy duty springs. Much more positive feel everywhere for me. Best $21 mod I ever made. Clutch plates also last longer.

U may need to change the fibers since they have been drenched in moly. I wd buy all new plates and prob springs as well and run a regular honda tranny oil without moly. Ur prob shd be gone. Im sure other things can be done but this wd be the best way to rid prob. Also i wd flush w a bit of gear oil just to make sure everything is out. May be an overkill but just my .02

Edited by Motofighter
  • Like 1

+1 on rotella T....i have ran it in all my thumpers....even in the honda gear box.....never had any issues....i would change your motor and gear box oils and then if the problem still exist change your clutch fibers and springs.

RIDE ON

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I trade out the Tranny oil for some non moly oil.

May also look into getting a hydraulic clutch to help with the fading.

I didn't have to change anything but the oil and Schaeffers is heavy in Moly, it may take a couple of changes, mine came back in one but it seems it got even better after the second change.

Edited by ramjetV8

I have always used Honda Trans oil (red like auto transmission oil) in clutch side just like in the 2 stroke days, works good for me...clutch seems to lasts long than any bike I ever owned... why change a good thing. Just my thoughts...Bill (08 crf450r)

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I trade out the Tranny oil for some non moly oil.

May also look into getting a hydraulic clutch to help with the fading.

Hydralic clutch wont change the fade. The fade is in the plates\.

Edited by Krannie

I never had a slipper clutch, is that what he is feeling, I hear they feel totally different than normal?

I never had a slipper clutch, is that what he is feeling, I hear they feel totally different than normal?

A slipper clutch is  a directional clutch. It slips on decel to improve wheel traction.