Michigan roll call

Rode the bike around my buddies property just to get a feel for the bike.  Last weekend checked out Baja Acres, and boy, did I suck out there.  I hate to blame the bike, or the conditions, but man all I did was slide around and the bike was a dog climbing up the hills!  I’m looking into the powervalve, exhaust, tires, suspension setup and riding technique. 

Felt pretty bummy after, but, it was definitely an experience!

• 2 weeks later...
On April 12, 2017 at 3:34 PM, j cal said:

Rode the bike around my buddies property just to get a feel for the bike.  Last weekend checked out Baja Acres, and boy, did I suck out there.  I hate to blame the bike, or the conditions, but man all I did was slide around and the bike was a dog climbing up the hills!  I’m looking into the powervalve, exhaust, tires, suspension setup and riding technique. 

Felt pretty bummy after, but, it was definitely an experience!

You have the YZ250 right? Is your power like a light switch? You may want a flywheel weight to gain a little traction as I have heard the YZ hits hard and can cause some wheel spin. I'm sure the YZ forum has better tech info on that. Powervalve is always a good place to start as tuning it is usually just your time. 

Edited by timbanditos
  • Like 1

You have the YZ250 right? Is your power like a light switch? You may want a flywheel weight to gain a little traction as I have heard the YZ hits hard and can cause some wheel spin. I'm sure the YZ forum has better tech info on that. Powervalve is always a good place to start as tuning it is usually just your time. 

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah, yz250

I looked into the power valve, and it was not working properly, it was stuck open. So, I believe a symptom would be no low end torque but hits hard up top (just as I experienced).

I fixed the powervalve, ordered mx3s (was running older Dunlop intermediate tires), and am adjusting the suspension.

I hope it'll help, but yeah, lack of seat time is definitely a huge factor.

Ever ride Baja Acres?
  • Like 1

On April 27, 2017 at 8:28 PM, j cal said:

I looked into the power valve, and it was not working properly, it was stuck open. So, I believe a symptom would be no low end torque but hits hard up top (just as I experienced).

I fixed the powervalve, ordered mx3s (was running older Dunlop intermediate tires), and am adjusting the suspension.

Ever ride Baja Acres?

I have only got out on one trail since moving to Michigan, I went to Cedar Creek yesterday to check out this old 99' CR250 I bought and I had a clutch issue so I need to put a little more work into the bike to have it ready to ride. I moved from Washington, to Texas and then to Michigan at the end of 2015 and sold my bike so I have not ridden in two years. Is Baja Acres a like an MX track or trails or just a park with a mix?

• Like 1

I have only got out on one trail since moving to Michigan, I went to Cedar Creek yesterday to check out this old 99' CR250 I bought and I had a clutch issue so I need to put a little more work into the bike to have it ready to ride. I moved from Washington, to Texas and then to Michigan at the end of 2015 and sold my bike so I have not ridden in two years. Is Baja Acres a like an MX track or trails or just a park with a mix?

MX track [emoji4]

4 hours ago, timbanditos said:

try holton trails right near there,,, lots tighter with way less sand an whoops...

• Like 1

New to the forum! I live in Livonia but do most of my riding in Cheboygan. Haven't been riding long so I'm learning. Started with a 2 stroke but enjoying my 09 yz250f. This site is a great resource for me!

I just got back on a powered dirt bike after more than 20 off

I ride a dirt jumper bicycle pretty regular and take it to the skate parks when not on trails. (jumps, I don't pedal much)

Looking for M/C ride buddies and willing to drive all over MI to do it.

I'm in Coleman closest to Gladwin trails then Leota and Evart

St. Helen or the Big O / Tin cup I are all well within range.

My new Husky is plated and will go from a down town cruise to hot laps on a MX track.

Short notice but anyone want to meet up tomorrow? thinking Leota

• Like 1

I'm in Mount Pleasant, and I'm not familiar with trails up here at all. Just getting back into dirt riding after 11 years off, and doing it with a 2017 ktm 150 xcw. Anyone up here willing to rip with a 27 year old noob?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, pklein1390 said:

I'm in Mount Pleasant, and I'm not familiar with trails up here at all. Just getting back into dirt riding after 11 years off, and doing it with a 2017 ktm 150 xcw. Anyone up here willing to rip with a 27 year old noob?

I'll ride with you. This is me at the park in Mt. Pleasant

I'm not as wild on my Husky and like all types of riding. I have a truck and trailer if needed to haul stuff.

I'll ride with you if you don't mind hanging with a 52 year old foggie

What days and times work best for you? 

G0437488.JPG

G0447513.JPG

I'll ride with you. This is me at the park in Mt. Pleasant
I'm not as wild on my Husky and like all types of riding. I have a truck and trailer if needed to haul stuff.
I'll ride with you if you don't mind hanging with a 52 year old foggie
What days and times work best for you? 

G0437488.JPG.da75bc2f58e19e31734fe5c576cd3120.JPG
G0447513.JPG.1511b354fa261318e2b18f1c1555cecb.JPG

Haha nice! The days I work should be changing shortly going from 6 a week to 5 days. I sometimes ride with my girlfriend's dad and he's right around 52 so trust me I don't care about age. My next 2 weekends are planned out with visiting family and the beer expo in Frankenmuth, but maybe we can plan to go some day on memorial weekend?

Ever ride Baja Acres?

I live in Fenton so Baja is only about 45 minutes from me. I'm new to Michigan so this is my first season riding here. I've been to Baja 4 times now and I raced there yesterday. Great track!
My first day I felt like a noob too. Coming from TN/KY tracks to mostly sand was a big difference. Biggest improvement was changing my setup. Dropped the fork tubes to flush, got my sag set and a new set of MX3s tires. I'm riding a YZ250 too and I noticed I've got to keep it on the pipe more in the sand. I got a flywheel weight last summer and that did make a big difference with tuning out the hyperactive hit but it's still a 2 stroke and I ride it as such. Your power valve issue has me thinking now though.
If you want to link up and ride PM me. I've been wanting to try out super coops, twisted and Morelands so I'm willing to travel a bit. I'm not super fast or even moderately fast but I manage to have a good time and enjoy racing.

John
  • Like 1

I live in Fenton so Baja is only about 45 minutes from me. I'm new to Michigan so this is my first season riding here. I've been to Baja 4 times now and I raced there yesterday. Great track!
My first day I felt like a noob too. Coming from TN/KY tracks to mostly sand was a big difference. Biggest improvement was changing my setup. Dropped the fork tubes to flush, got my sag set and a new set of MX3s tires. I'm riding a YZ250 too and I noticed I've got to keep it on the pipe more in the sand. I got a flywheel weight last summer and that did make a big difference with tuning out the hyperactive hit but it's still a 2 stroke and I ride it as such. Your power valve issue has me thinking now though.
If you want to link up and ride PM me. I've been wanting to try out super coops, twisted and Morelands so I'm willing to travel a bit. I'm not super fast or even moderately fast but I manage to have a good time and enjoy racing.

John

I'll take you up on that! Been focusing on riding my road bikes lately, but will definitely hit you up.

Live in Oakland County, ride up north around Lincoln MI. Lost Lake woods if anyone is familiar with that.
Always looking for a riding partner when I'm up there.
20 years old
ktm 250 xcf

Cool I'm pretty much on the border of Livingston / Oakland. Do you know any local places to ride trails in the area? I've been riding at my house in the evenings after work on a track that I've been working on but it would be cool to hit a trail or two every know and then. I have a woods bike that was racing hare scrambles on last year but I haven't taken the time to drive north yet. The tracks have been more convenient as I've been pretty busy lately.

Cool I'm pretty much on the border of Livingston / Oakland. Do you know any local places to ride trails in the area? I've been riding at my house in the evenings after work on a track that I've been working on but it would be cool to hit a trail or two every know and then. I have a woods bike that was racing hare scrambles on last year but I haven't taken the time to drive north yet. The tracks have been more convenient as I've been pretty busy lately.

I need a piece of land.

15 hours ago, JohnnyB24 said:

Nah I don't know any places close to here. I think you would have to drive an hour or two :/