New to me 2001 KTM 380 EXC Update

Since I've now had a few weeks to go over the new to me 2001 KTM 380 EXC I thought I'd post up some of my findings... Keep in mind this bike is now 12 years old... 

Before I even rode the bike, the rear brakes were replaced. They were beyond shot...

I went over the bike and replaced a bunch of bolts. Many of the bolts were a miss-mash of sizes. for example I'd like to be able to pick up one tool and remove the seat. It of course has two different size bolts. The side panels had three different bolts. (8mm, 10mm and a hex head) they are now all the same... 

I hated the rear tire, so I swapped the rear with the one on my 300 as its running an IRC M5B tire . (Having a sister bike next to it really makes part swapping easy) I put the entire wheel assembly from the 300 on the 380. Oh BTW the rear axle nut on the 380 was so rounded off I had to use a plumbers pipe wrench to get the nut off. Yes a new one has been ordered.

When the rear tire was off, I pulled the chain adjuster bolts, ran a tap through the swingarm, and put anti-seize on the bolts.

The lower heim joint, has 1/4 inch or more of play. A OEM replacement has been sourced and is on its way and will be replaced before the next ride

The handle bars were 32 1/2 inches wide, I cut them down to 31 inches. On the 300 I recently replaced the grips. I was also running a "flex grip" on the clutch side. The flex grip allows about 3/8 of an inch movement, which I've found helps with my hand numbness as it seems to help cut the vibs. So I moved over the flex grip, and throttle tube from the 300 to the 380, so now it has nice pillow top grips.

The jetting seemed a bit rich as there's as stumble going from 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. This was confirmed when I changed the spark plug, the old one was pretty dark. I know the 380's are a pain to jet, but so are the 300's... Having gone down that path with the 300, I have a fair idea of what I need to do. It was getting late last night, but I pulled the slide and checked which needle it was running.... The slide is a 6.5 and the needle as I thought is the original NOZ needle. With this needle there is a stumble from 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. It was also on the 1st clip, so going leaner is not an option.... In my 300 I changed the slide to a 7.0 (leaner) and went with a CEL needle and changed the jets... For the 380, you guessed it, I'm going to "borrow" the CEL needle from the 300 and try it in the 380. 

**** Just a note guys. When making jetting changes, please change one thing at a time and document the results With this method you will know the reaction to the change you made, and you can always refer to your documentation. I don't know about you, but for me if I don't write it down I usually can't remember $%&*!!!!

I changed the tranny fluid. It was in OK shape... I've been using AFT for a very long time, and this bike is no exception. 

Things I stll need to do
Change the anti-freeze, 
Pull carb and document the pilot and main jets.
Clean air filter. Its not in bad shape, but... clean is always better
Repack front wheel bearings,
Address the front brake is a little spongy. Here a little trick for the front brake, Wire tie the front brake lever against the handle bars and let it sit overnight with the bars turned to the left. This puts the master cylinder at its highest point which will allow the little bit of air (which contributes to spongy brakes) a way escape.
Pull swingarm and grease bearings, (may wait until winter)
Repack steering stem bearings (may wait until winter).
Change the hydro fluid in the clutch
Change brake fluid, front and rear.

So far I'm very happy with the bike. I'm looking forward to the next ride. Most of the changes I've made are to make sure the bike is safe, reliable, and fits my personal style. Riding time is precious, so I need to make sure the bike is ready to go and perform as expected. I guess that's why I'm a little anal on the maintenance cool.gif

Edited by eprovenzano

I picked up a 380sx about a month ago. Spending some time mellowing it out for the woods. But other then that pretty cool bikes.

Wednesday night, I made it back out to the garage to "tinker" on the ol girl.

Changed anti-freeze, hydo juice, cleaned air filter, pulled carb, jet sizes pj 42, mj 165, a/s 1.25, 6.5 slide, NOZ needle. Adjusted power valve to flush with case, it was beyond the case. Found other bolts that needed tightened. 

Need to change out needle for CEK and, up the pj to a 45 and the main to a 170. then let her rip

On a side note...  When I took out the mighty 380 on its maiden voyage, I hooked up with several guys who work at a KTM dealership.  After the ribbing of buying a 12 year old bike and not buying a new bike through them, they all drooled over the 380.   Its funny, but most were on 300's a few 250's and a 150.  With all the choices they have, I don't recall any being on a stroker.  Oh wait yes they were, but the strokers had 4 wheel with chainsaws picks and shovels strapped to them...  they were cutting some new trails.

Edited by eprovenzano

More work done (Thursday) tonight 

Rear shock lower heim joint replaced. 
Wheel bearing repacked with grease.
Front brakes fixed, no longer spongy. 

Next ride I'm going to pull the carb from the 300. I'll use it to help test jetting settings. It has the jetting that i think the mighty 380 needs. I'm guessing the jetting I need is CEK needle on 3rd clip, 6.5 slide, PJ-45, MJ-175 KTM's of this time period are notoriously hard to jet but if you can dial them in you will be rewarded with a powerful but usable power band. 

So all that's left is to pull the carb off the 300 and prepare for the next ride. I'm hoping for Sunday.

Edited by eprovenzano

thanks, I purchased this bike with the plans of flipping it... (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN)  I do enjoy wrenching, tinkering on them to make them 100% reliable.  The wife doesn't mind as she knows where to find me...  in the garage... Most of the work I do costs little to nothing.  Most of it is just correcting lack of maintenance of the PO's.

Yep without pics it didn't happen...

Here she is on the way home.

null_zpse67aeb50.jpg

I switched the new plastic off the 300 and currently she looks like this,

null_zpsa68fe4df.jpg

As part of the deal, I got a set of black plastics (scratched of course) so I put them on the 300.

null_zpsf9cdab84.jpg

And finally the 380 on her maiden voyage with me doing my best RC impression.

null_zps4ae31812.jpg

Edited by eprovenzano
  • Like 1

I ran a 98 380 EXC in dez racing for quite a few years. Jetting is much easier if you have the head done.  I used Clay at MUNN, but there are others.. A ProCircuit pipe worked best on mine.. The forks [98-99] are great, but the early shocks sucked. I had mine re-valved a few times.. It helped..Later shocks work better.  Replace the Heihm joint with an F bushing from Synergy.  And keep a ton of anti-sieze on the adjusters.  I drilled a small hole under the adjusters for drainage.   Remove the metal part of the chain guide and just run the plastic.

Edited by zilla

Thanks Zilla, this has been a labor of love...  I planned to pull the carb off the 300 for jetting testing Sunday but my son is going as well and will be on the 300.  So it will be more of a fun ride than a testing day...  

I was able to do some jetting tests today.  The 380 currently has a 6.5 slide, 42 pj, 165 main NOZ needle on 1st clip, a.s at 1,25.  I pulled the carb from my 300, its sporting a 45 pj, 175 main CEK needle on 3rd clip, a.s at 1,5 and installed into the 380,  I leaned the bike over until fuel came out the overflow, pulled the choke, gave her a mighty kick and she fires right up,  After a warn up I took her up a long gravel road.  She"s got a lot of low end torque, pulls great into the mid-range, then stumbles on top.  I stopped to check her over, when I realized I have a lean surge at idle.  I kept turning the air screw in until its 1/4 turn out, then she idles perfect.  Note to self drop clip on notch to richen it up a little.

I took her for another spin.  Same as before great off the bottom, solid through the mid range, and stumble on top.  I think I'm close...  I think the main jet jump from a 165 to a 175 was too much.  I think a 170 will be the hot ticket....  I'll report back after I try a 170 main.

Edited by eprovenzano

I ordered some new brass and put it in the 380's carb.  The current settings are 6.5 (stock) slide, CEK on 2nd notch.  I decided to try dropping the needle to see if I was too fat in the mid.  (Yes I am, but in this case I'm talking about the bike),  45pj. and a 175mj.  I started with the A/S 1.5 turns out.

Fired up on the 1st kick...  it just sounds better... After a warm up, I let her rip...  OMG this is how I expected a bike bore to respond...  Tons of torque, there is a very slight (very very slight) hesitation if you go from idle to WO.  It only takes a second or two to clear her throat, and off you go...  if you are at anything above idle, (1/8 throttle) and wick the happy stick, you better be holding on as she will go as long and as far as you can hold on...  I never did find the sign off point of the upper end...  not enough open space in the trails I ride.  I ride mostly single track, and the low end torque is awesome...  In fact it saved my bacon on a long steep hill climb, when rider error made it more difficult than it needed to be...  It idles perfectly, in fact I did have to adjust it down a little...  I tried adjusting the A/S out a little and it seemed to help with the hesitation.  I think (and this is my opinion and is by no way scientific) the hesitation is a rich spot where its getting too much fuel too fast.  I may try dropping the pj down to a 42 (from a 45) to see it helps.  I also have a 7.0 (leaner) slide I can try.  

I can live with the slight hesitation, but I think I can correct it.  While I'm ecstatic as to the current performance, I feel there is more performance to be had... I'll trying dropping the pj and see where we go from there...  

Did you happen to buy the bike from a guy who claimed he just had the bike gone over by Honda of Morgantown or whatever its called? Because if so i almost bought this bike, but i ended up finding another 01 closer to me that came with a street title!

Definately a good choice on keeping the 380 they are an awesome bike, crazy torque down low and screams on top! Like you, i too just recently got done tearing mine down and going over it and bringing her back up to par from neglectful maintenance of the pervious owner.

No not this one. The PO used this as a backup bike, but sold it to get a dual sport. Since it was a "backup" bike I knew the maintenance would be a little suspect...  But when you buy a used 12 year old dirt bike we have to expect there is going to be maintenance (or lack of maintenance issues) that need to be dealt with.  You're right crazy torque... and when jetted properly I think they can be a very easy bike to ride.  When you want to putt around with the little ones or the quad turds it doesn't complain. But when you twist the happy stick hang on for some arm ripping, stump pulling power and fun.

I almost have mine where I want it, just a few more little tweaks of the jetting and she'll be 100%. I'm going to try dropping the pj from 45 to a 42 to see if I can eliminate the hesitation.  I guess I'm a bit finicky about my bikes...  I'll spend the time now to correct any and all issues to ensure when I do get out onto the trails / track that she is 100%.  

Edited by eprovenzano

Well I've been chasing my tail a bit in the jetting settings.  I knew when I bought the 380 that they are a pain to properly jet without getting a head mod or other work done.  Since mine is stock, I've been looking for the magical settings...  Current settings, CEK needle, 2nd clip, (changed from 3rd as it eliminated a surge at idle) 175 MJ, and a 6.5 slide

I had a 1/8 throttle bog.  I wasn't sure if I was fat or lean.  Thinking I was too fat, I dropped the PJ back to a 42...  no go the bog got a lot worse.  So the 45 PJ went back in.  The next change was to try a 7.0 slide.  I decided to pull the 7,0 slide from my 2000 300 and put it into the 380. I went to my local riding area knowing I would have to adjust the air screw to get her dialed in...  So I fired her up, and went off to warm her up... She was really sluggish, so I started turning the air screw. The more I adjusted the worse it got, and then I couldn't get her to run rev out at all.. I was starting to loose my mind, when a buddy says why do you still have the choke on... DUH!!! I'm an idiot. 

OK lets try this again, 1st turn choke off.... correctly adjust air screw, blip throttle... clean, crisp... Take her around the parking area... Holy cow... no hesitation, no burble, just clean power. I think I solved the jetting mystery

CEK clip 2
45 pilot
175 main
7.0 slide
air screw 1 1/2

I rode it all day, never once did she hesitate just twist the throttle and hang on as the power is just amazing. 

Note to self, when adjusting the air screw make sure the choke is off... whoop.gif flip.gif whoop.gif 

Chiming in a bit late but I just picked up an 01 390 EXC. I'm close on jetting other than the 7.0 slide. What fuel/oil ratio are you running? 92 pump gas or race gas?

I'm at 45:1, with 92 pump.  The 7.0 slide is a must...  I love this bike, it's a do all bike...  Take some time, and adjust the power valve to your liking.  I have mine out flush.  I think it gives it a little more torque, and reduces the "hit" a bit by allowing the valve to open a little sooner.  Other (KTM owners) who rode it wanted to adjust it to suit their riding style...  I wouldn't let em touch it.  Recently I've noticed some slight hesitation at 1/2 throttle, temps in the 80's, so I may need to make a clip change to the #1 position (dropping the needle).  the only issue I've had is a flat tire, and most recently, the front brake hose failed.  Both PIA's to repair, but in the grand scheme minor inconveniences 

Once you figure out the nuances of the bike, they are a blast to ride...   

This Pic was just after I serviced the steering stem bearings. 

IMG_04881_zps5395b2f8.jpg

Edited by eprovenzano
  • Like 3

I have an older KTM as well, and I'm having some jetting issues too.  I went down a similar path to eliminate an off-idle bog and can't tell if its lean or rich down low.  I'm currently going with a 7.0 slide (original is 6.0), PJ is 40 (also have a 35), MJ is 155, and the needle is stock (also have a CEK).  I usually ride around 3-7000ft and the temps easily reach 100 degrees in the southern Idaho desert.  I don't recall where my AS setting is, but it didn't seem to make much difference this last weekend when I was riding at 6500ft.

You mentioned that you had a lean idle surge.  Can you describe the sound for me?  I'm completely new to 2-strokes and am not familiar enough with them to know when they sound correctly jetted.  All Youtube videos I've watched don't seem to help much, either.  Thanks in advance!

The lean idle surge I was experiencing was happening when the bike would idle, but would raise a few RPM's and then go lower. Raise up and then down.. You could just tell something was just not right...