Sign in to follow this  

What one riding tip suddenly clicked and improved your riding the most?

So what was the one riding tip you heard and suddenly clicked with when you went riding and could feel yourself riding better, also bonus for the one tip that made you start whipping better.

Mine was using more front brake and less front brake for cornering when I first started riding track. Really transitioned my cornering and made me corner a lot better.

No one really gave me any riding tips..... My dad is extremely fast but me and him kinda have goofy riding styles that we just learned to ride fast with.

My best 2 tips to give someone are....

1....Pick a setting such as suspension, tires, bars, levers etc etc and just learn to ride with that settting the whole time. The bike becomes predictable. You get used to the way it brakes or slides around corners, the way it kicks to the right or left over certain obstacles..... I see way too many guys fiddling with things like to find the perfect setup and unfortunately it doesn't exist..... Heck, I use offroad setup suspension on the track because it's what I know and like....

2....Just go faster. The faster you can go, the better the bike works and the less tired you will be. When your moving slow, you're always fighting the bike. Let the bike do the work....

Edited by originalmonk
  • Like 11

Standing up is overrated!

In some situations you're absolutely correct....

Like when you're peeing....

• Like 22

Riding on your toes. Best thing I ever did.

• Like 2

I just decided to put the bike wherever I want it to go instead of the bike leading me wherever and most of the sketchy feelings went away

• Like 1

Conserve energy- Stand when you have to, sit when you can.

• Like 2

Ride on the balls of your feet, stand up everywhere except between mid corner and the exit of the corner, and grip the bike like you want to crush it.

Ive heard manny tips that have just been repetitive and did not really make me any faster, but there are two things that I have been told and have been practicing that have changed me from a last place C class racer, to a first place C class racer.

The one tip that helped me the most in carrying speed, is to keep your body in line with the bike, as if you and the bike are one... This means, when the bike leans, you lean.. This takes a ton of practice, but if you notice any fast guys ride, or watch the pros on TV, they all do it.

Another tip that helped with fatigue and getting the overall basics of riding was to let the bike push you, instead of hanging on for dear life. Grip with your legs, get forward into attack position, and let the rocket behind you push you into first...

Standing up and looking ahead are very basic skills, those tips helped me improve as a beginner, but the ones I mentioned seem to separate faster and slower riders. Just watch the fast guys next time you are at a track, when they go into a turn fast, they are already leaning with the bike and at a low angle to rail the berm.

• Like 3

I hope this makes sense... "Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go." If there are two ruts and you want to go in the left one, only concentrate on that left rut. Never look at the rut on the right side to avoid it. If you look at the spot/ obstacle where you don't want to go, 90% of time that's where you end up. Focus ahead on the line you want to take only.

ride on the balls of your feet. position your self to be pushed through the pegs, not pulled by your arms. When sitting, maintain pressure on the pegs.

for whipping, get your body moving down and to the side relative to the bike just before the bike leaves the face.

• Like 1

I also agree with the look ahead point above. If you're constantly looking ahead, retroactively planning where next move is going to be (look where you want to go), that will make you a lot quicker. This really comes into play when cornering, especially ruts, but also is so important when passing people. 

Obviously, there are many "tips" people can give, but once you get past the basic body position things like standing vs sitting, foot location, weight shifting, etc... then you've really gotta figure out the next bit leap and where you look is SO important.  

Looking ahead. Essential for HS and finding better lines and setting yourself up for the next obstacle. Not looking at where you don't want to go. (I do that all the time!) and getting up on the seat cornering. That single tip of getting up on the tank instantly gave me more confidence and turning ability. I never had anyone to teach me how to ride and never rode with any faster riders because of where I ride at. Now I ride with a vet A rider sometimes so he teaches me a lot and it helps!

I taught myself to brake with the clutch OUT and really learned to slip the clutch out of a corner to control the power.

The farther you look ahead, the faster you will go.

Also, I just took a Gary Bailey school (Highly recommend him!) and i learned a TON - more than I could even absorb in 2 days to be honest... 

He really pushed us to ride AGGRESSIVELY by over-jumping doubles and carrying momentum. The one tip I took to the best (and fixed an issue with ruts I have had for years!) was dragging the front brake through bowl turns and ruts.  It sucks the forks down and lets you feed the clutch and throttle on much earlier.  HUGE confidence boost after taking his class!

There are many tips that help you go faster all depending on your level of skill.

one that has helped my riders is the importance of the front brake and how it helps to modulate turning. Most are afraid of the front brake and have to get over the idea that it will wash out. You can wash out if not done properly. Practice good corner speed then use front braking and load that front end into the dirt, making sure you don't over pull it.

A very good tip also is rider position / arm position keeping as neutral as possible with elbows out and squeezing the bike will keep your body from overworking the bike and keeps your body from absorbing the bikes feedback over bumps etc.

The best tip I had was to actually practice the fundamentals I just would go riding for years and think I was practicing just doing laps it did help but once I started doing corner practice wheelies stoppies starts etc... I really noticed a difference

Looking ahead is number 1 for me. Whenever I get tired and start riding sloppy, it's because I'm not looking far enough ahead. For whatever reason, looking ahead makes you smoother...and the smoother you are, the lesss you're fighting the bike...and the less tired you get. I am also an advocate of sticking with settings and making as little changes as possible. In fact, the only thing I change is tire pressures and fork comp. settings for track vs offroad. Everything else is set it and forget it....including tire compounds. I run MX71's no matter what