Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Why Doesn't Suzuki Sell Any RMZ's?

get out of the 1970's Meyer! :D

80's and 90's brother

My 88 CR125 was red but my 90 CR250 went back to orange..........I hate change  :thumbsdn:

I bought my 06 YZ450 because of the cool yellow plastic which turned out to be a big &%$#@!ing mistake 

80's and 90's brother

My 88 CR125 was red but my 90 CR250 went back to orange..........I hate change  :thumbsdn:

I bought my 06 YZ450 because of the cool yellow plastic which turned out to be a big &%$#@!ing mistake 

The 90 model was "Flash Red with Shasta White".....

Same as my 91 CR500 that HAD Flash Red with Ross White....... Now it's almost all white with just hints of red.

I had more crashes on my '06 YZ450 than any bike I've owned before or since. What a weird handling machine.

At least it was reliable, though.

The 90 model was "Flash Red with Shasta White".....

Same as my 91 CR500 that HAD Flash Red with Ross White....... Now it's almost all white with just hints of red.

They call It flash red because it showed up red in the magazines and sales litature

I conned my mom into taking me to the Honda delear when I was 14 and couldnt beleave the bike i wanted so bad was orange. Chick explained why they were orange when we loaded up a 86 CR125

Edited by meyermetal

I had more crashes on my '06 YZ450 than any bike I've owned before or since. What a weird handling machine.

At least it was reliable, though.

Great engine and great suspension but it pushed in every corner that didn't have a rut to settle into

I bought a new bike within 6 months

Open class 2-strokes died due to them having too much power.  Even KTM, which has about 20 displacements, dropped the 380cc 2-stroke.  Instead they created a 350cc (downsized) Open 4 stroke for the masses, which they use to win the MX1 class.

Regarding open class bikes dying off in the past. That was then, and this is now.  MX1 today is the new open class. No MX1 rider or team cares about finding more peak HP.  I simply want no excuse for 2 strokes not beating the 450Fs.  On lap times and to the first corner.  I want the sport to be more affordable.

In the Aus MX nationals, KTM250 2 stroke riders got 2nd and 3rd overall. Operating out of box vans.  Mid season, the factory teams complained, but were told to go get a 2 stroke if they think they are faster.  Every new 250SX imported into Aus sells quickly at full list price.

The last RM250 was a good bike. Suzuki could make it a better bike today, at very low development cost.

Enduro events have been a sea of Orange for years.

Yet Suzuki will persist trying to sell just the ancient RM65, RM85, and expensive to make RMZ250 and RMZ450.   From any view point, especially marketing, how absurd is that product line?

• Like 4

Great engine and great suspension but it pushed in every corner that didn't have a rut to settle into

I bought a new bike within 6 months

Indeed. My friend still rides an 07 and he kept the suspension stock. I still can't get over stock yz suspension...the 125s are amazing because you can just hold them wide open and hit everything....and they won't die. If they turned it would be a no brainer. I just don't get it shouldn't that be rule #1? Design a motocross bike that turns like a champ.

Edited by mikerides33

Indeed. My friend still rides an 07 and he kept the suspension stock. I still can't get over stock yz suspension...the 125s are amazing because you can just hold them wide open and hit everything....and they won't die. If they turned it would be a no brainer. I just don't get it shouldn't that be rule #1? Design a motocross bike that turns like a champ.

I've never had an issue getting any of my 2 strokes to turn like it was on rails. Soften up the initial part of the stroke only slightly and they will turn on a dime. Had plenty of issues with the Yz f's though.

Oh man...just read my response....yes....the yz can corner....I meant the yzf with my cornering comment..;)

• Like 1

Oh man...just read my response....yes....the yz can corner....I meant the yzf with my cornering comment.. ;)

Oh sorry... I thought that is what you meant originally. Then I re read it and convinced myself that you were talking about the 2 stroke because of the 125 thing. :cheers:

Edited by BDubb106

Regarding open class bikes dying off in the past. That was then, and this is now.  MX1 today is the new open class. No MX1 rider or team cares about finding more peak HP.  I simply want no excuse for 2 strokes not beating the 450Fs.  On lap times and to the first corner.  I want the sport to be more affordable.

In the Aus MX nationals, KTM250 2 stroke riders got 2nd and 3rd overall. Operating out of box vans.  Mid season, the factory teams complained, but were told to go get a 2 stroke if they think they are faster.  Every new 250SX imported into Aus sells quickly at full list price.

The last RM250 was a good bike. Suzuki could make it a better bike today, at very low development cost.

Yet Suzuki will persist trying to sell just the ancient RM65, RM85, and expensive to make RMZ250 and RMZ450.   From any view point, especially marketing, how absurd is that product line?

I guess more absurd if you consider they have not had an RM65 for years.

Suzuki is a dying beast. They have so much bloody potential but they just don't give much of a shit anymore. "Lets just keep using the same 450 design for like 10 years" is not a good philosophy in the motocross market. Motocross has become a super stylish sport these days. More than it ever was in the past. That's the truth. Sure you got a great bike. That doesn't mean there's no room for improvement. Changing side panel colors doesn't count. I look at my bike some times and think, this thing is a dinosaur in comparison to some of the others, like the honda or even the yz250fs. It looks like a bike from 2005. To me it looks like a yellow 2005 crf450. Obviously looks are not why I bought this machine, then again why would anyone buy a bike based on that. But then again it rides better than everything else out there and I think that says a lot. It says a lot about how much potential they have. If they don't release a bike next year, that's a sign they're starting to roll over. I speculate if they do then they will; a) it will be a piece of shit, or B) make the minimum required by the AMA to compete in pro races or close to it. They are famous for all of the above in recent times. Suzuki doesnt output moto bikes at nearly half the rate they did in the 90s or early 2000's. They still have a really bad reliability rep. All people can trust when dropping cash on a banana, is hope. I can say that out of experience. I am still hoping. They aren't in good shape right now and they really have got to work up these mx bikes or things will become dire for their motocross line. They don't really even need the rmz's. Suzuki has put it's heart, soul and dependence into its street bike line.

Edited by perkybewbs

Suzuki is a dying beast. They have so much bloody potential but they just don't give much of a shit anymore. "Lets just keep using the same 450 design for like 10 years" is not a good philosophy in the motocross market. Motocross has become a super stylish sport these days. More than it ever was in the past. That's the truth. Sure you got a great bike. That doesn't mean there's no room for improvement. Changing side panel colors doesn't count. I look at my bike some times and think, this thing is a dinosaur in comparison to some of the others, like the honda or even the yz250fs. It looks like a bike from 2005. To me it looks like a yellow 2005 crf450. Obviously looks are not why I bought this machine, then again why would anyone buy a bike based on that. But then again it rides better than everything else out there and I think that says a lot. It says a lot about how much potential they have. If they don't release a bike next year, that's a sign they're starting to roll over. I speculate if they do then they will; a) it will be a piece of shit, or B) make the minimum required by the AMA to compete in pro races or close to it. They are famous for all of the above in recent times. Suzuki doesnt output moto bikes at nearly half the rate they did in the 90s or early 2000's. They still have a really bad reliability rep. All people can trust when dropping cash on a banana, is hope. I can say that out of experience. I am still hoping. They aren't in good shape right now and they really have got to work up these mx bikes or things will become dire for their motocross line. They don't really even need the rmz's. Suzuki has put it's heart, soul and dependence into its street bike line.

Like I said before... all of your points are valid, but Suzuki will keep producing bikes until their street bike market goes away which I do not see happening any time soon. Last year in street bike sales they were 2nd only to Yamaha. In 2011 it was the other way around. Suzuki first, Yamaha 2nd

You cut two thirds of my post, then Made comments tha essentially agreed with it. Open 2-strokes died since 250cc smokers had all the power than typical customer could handle. Team riders can handle more, but it is senseless to make a bike that won't sell. 300cc seems like a nice cap.

Cut from the quote. 

MX3 being 300cc 2 strokes is fantastic, since many European manufactures make 300cc off-road bikes.  250cc 2-stroke bikes would cause confusion with the 250cc 4 stroke class.

150cc and 300cc RM smokers might be a good addition to the Suzuki lineup.  The last of the Suzuki RM250 2-strokes seemed like a bargain in the used market.  Great handling and cheap.   Off road events were like KTM conventions when I last rode them 10 years ago.   A sea of orange bikes, since only one of the Big 5 made dedicated Enduro and XC bikes.

Suzukis may be rare as Bigfoot in the states but here in New Zealand and Australia every second bike is a zuk. They're extremely popular as well as the rmx and quad range, thier farm quads sell real well and they sell a heap of cars aswell.

Different markets I guess

Suzukis may be rare as Bigfoot in the states but here in New Zealand and Australia every second bike is a zuk. They're extremely popular as well as the rmx and quad range, thier farm quads sell real well and they sell a heap of cars aswell.

Different markets I guess

Im fine with people here not liking or buying suzukis because i can get a deal on them lol. Towards the end of last year my friend got his 08.5 450 for $2200 and i got my 09 for $3000.

• Like 2

Im fine with people here not liking or buying suzukis because i can get a deal on them lol. Towards the end of last year my friend got his 08.5 450 for $2200 and i got my 09 for $3000.

You can get the 12's OTD for under 6g's too. 13's will be the same in a few months.