2013 RMZ450

Ok. Got a couple options.

1. Send some goons down and "get yo shims back".

2. Use a reputable shop-maybe one in a mag or one friends use

3. Fix it yourself- if you got tools and know how to change fork fluid-you will most likely be competent to remove a 8mm nut and measure shims. I and others will give you stacks that will get those forks working! I have a thread not long ago with stacks. Search rmz250 euro stack. The 250f stack works well in the rmz450

If yoh need I can copy and paste the stack. Do you got any buds that work on suspension? If not just find a shop that fan help you. Sorry to hear about this.

Sorry I was offline for a few days. LOL...IM old school so sending goons down sounds like the best option! Sounds like a good plan on doing it myself. Never done it before but believe I can. What are your thoughts on the mid valve? He took a bunch out of this according to him? Thanks very much for your help. BTW...I am a 190 pound Vet Expert. Would the 250F stack work for my weight, ability, and terrain in your opinion?

mikerides33 is spot on - you need to dump the shock piston. It sounds like all of your wallowing and front end traction issues are coming from shock rebound. Mine used to swap like crazy in any sort of rough, especially sand, until the shock was reworked.

Try pulling some rebound out of the shock and see what that does - mine would pack like crazy.

Also, a scotts stabilizer does wonders for these bikes.

I've never had a bike that wallows like this thing does. When the track is completely groomed and I hold the throttle on steady with no variation, it wallows with every 4th cycle of the engine. Bizarre!

This stack is MAGIC!!! My buddy is running it in his 13' 450 and says his suspension is the best it has EVER been on any bike he has ridden. I rode the bike and even though under sprung. The bike worked great. I did notice how the smallest changes made a world of difference with the SFF fork though. It felt to me like the most minute changes made it feel like a full spring rate change in traditional forks.

Seeing actual numbers (that you and a few others so kindly provided) is what inspired me to try doing my own suspension work with the help of a more experienced buddy. It is a lot easier to fix any problems with valving when you know exactly what is going on in there and can see how things "really" work. You guys even got my 12' dialed! All I did was plug the stacks posted into my forks and it was amazing how much the bike changed. After a few oil height changes, and playing with preload I can get the bike to do things that no "tuner set up" ever has. 

As I stated before, I wish there was more of this info floating around on this site. Its worse than pulling teeth trying to get real world info in this forum and guys like me without experience with this brand don't know where to start. You guys make it worth the embarrassment of  to asking the stupid newb questions. It stinks not being able to search and find the exact info you are looking for.

The revalve came with 310cc and I am now up to 350 and it still blows through the stoke and bottoms out. Can't slam into stuff etc. Preload, clickers etc. nothing really helps ease this issue.

I think that stack will be a little soft for you as an expert as well as your weight. My buddy that I gave the stack to is an A class rider but he is only about 140lbs soaking wet and he says its perfect for him. IDK how your stiffer spring will effect the rest of the set up. Maybe the weight of the bike puts the set up closer to your set up than I think though?

Keep in mind that Im no suspension expert by any means. Luckily the stacks I found in the forum worked perfect for me. They are a little more aggressive than my skill level would typically call for, but with my extra weight at 230 it works really really well. If it did not work I would not know what to do with it to make it work.

So take my opinion with a grain of salt because I may be way off base. 

Edited by BDubb106

I had Bobby Williams at Pro Action do mine last year befor the daytona sx.

Did a great job and fast turn around. I got my old springs back and the stack back.

I had to make a few phone calls on how to set it up but sure rides nice well worth the money.

Give him a call I am sure he can help you out.

Ron.

I used to ride with Bobby and I think he is honest and a great builder. My buddy who weighs the same as me and has the same riding ability had bobby do his 13 RMZ 450. It was better than mine for sure. I just don't have 800 bucks right now :(

I like the fact that Bobby always returns everything he took out. After speaking with him, he said he would start from scratch and give me ALL my stock shims back, He is a great guy...just that money is so tight right now.

• Like 2

I used to ride with Bobby and I think he is honest and a great builder. My buddy who weighs the same as me and has the same riding ability had bobby do his 13 RMZ 450. It was better than mine for sure. I just don't have 800 bucks right now :(

I like the fact that Bobby always returns everything he took out. After speaking with him, he said he would start from scratch and give me ALL my stock shims back, He is a great guy...just that money is so tight right now.

Yea I hear you on the money part.

Ill ask if you dont mind were do you live in fla. ? I am over in Pierson about 20 miles west of Ormond beach.

If you want I will give you my old stack that bobby took out if that will help you out.

We (as in my wife and kids) ride over at hard rock and pax trax every other weekend so if you want we can hook up and Ill give them to you just let me find them first.

Ron.

• Like 1

Yea I hear you on the money part.

Ill ask if you dont mind were do you live in fla. ? I am over in Pierson about 20 miles west of Ormond beach.

If you want I will give you my old stack that bobby took out if that will help you out.

We (as in my wife and kids) ride over at hard rock and pax trax every other weekend so if you want we can hook up and Ill give them to you just let me find them first.

Ron.

I really appreciate you offering your old stack. I would graciously accept your offer but to be fair to you, I should make certain of what I need first. I live in Davenport south of Disney and ride mostly at Bartow and Coyote MX.

What class or speed would you say you are? I am 190 pound expert. I can ride B and A class on tracks that i am familiar with and C class when I don't know the track really well. Being older I try to be safe vs. fast if you know what I mean. What class or speed would you say you are? Do you find your stuff bottoms too easily? My buddies did bottom a bit easier than I would have liked for my personal taste. Did you get the Pro Action link or just the revalve from Bobby?

• Like 1

I really appreciate you offering your old stack. I would graciously accept your offer but to be fair to you, I should make certain of what I need first. I live in Davenport south of Disney and ride mostly at Bartow and Coyote MX.

What class or speed would you say you are? I am 190 pound expert. I can ride B and A class on tracks that i am familiar with and C class when I don't know the track really well. Being older I try to be safe vs. fast if you know what I mean. What class or speed would you say you are? Do you find your stuff bottoms too easily? My buddies did bottom a bit easier than I would have liked for my personal taste. Did you get the Pro Action link or just the revalve from Bobby?

I used to ride upfront C years back.

But got hurt and was in the hospital for 8 days and in rehab for 18 weeks so I am just old and slow now. I take time to watch the kids ride.

I run about 200lbs no gear. Bobby did a revalve and biger springs.

My daughter loves Coyote MX. We live only maybe 40 min from there.

Once you find out what you need let me know and we can hookup over at Coyote MX

and if you want you can take my bike for a spin and see how it feels for you. Maybe that can give you a starting point.

And you can for me give my daughter a few pointers on riding. She got 10th at the daytona Sx last year in the womens class ?

I run my rear sag around 104 mm and the front forks are around 8mm up.

• Like 2

I used to ride upfront C years back.

But got hurt and was in the hospital for 8 days and in rehab for 18 weeks so I am just old and slow now. I take time to watch the kids ride.

I run about 200lbs no gear. Bobby did a revalve and biger springs.

My daughter loves Coyote MX. We live only maybe 40 min from there.

Once you find out what you need let me know and we can hookup over at Coyote MX

and if you want you can take my bike for a spin and see how it feels for you. Maybe that can give you a starting point.

And you can for me give my daughter a few pointers on riding. She got 10th at the daytona Sx last year in the womens class ?

I run my rear sag around 104 mm and the front forks are around 8mm up.

That is so awesome about your daughter!!! Congratulations...my girls rode when they were younger and gave it up at about 12 years old :(

Sorry to hear you got hurt. I am just recovering from 4 broken ribs and I am way slower than last year at this time!! We can't afford too many injuries at our age...lol..it takes longer to heal.

If you would let me test your bike, I would not abuse it in any way! So, thank you for that offer. I would just like to try another one of Bobby's set ups. My buddies was sprung a bit light for my taste even though we are the same weight. It did bottom easier than I would like too, but I am a huge fan of the Yamaha SSS stuff! IMO - that was the best stuff I ever owned. It was like a B kit to me right off the showroom floor!

• Like 1

That is so awesome about your daughter!!! Congratulations...my girls rode when they were younger and gave it up at about 12 years old :(

Sorry to hear you got hurt. I am just recovering from 4 broken ribs and I am way slower than last year at this time!! We can't afford too many injuries at our age...lol..it takes longer to heal.

If you would let me test your bike, I would not abuse it in any way! So, thank you for that offer. I would just like to try another one of Bobby's set ups. My buddies was sprung a bit light for my taste even though we are the same weight. It did bottom easier than I would like too, but I am a huge fan of the Yamaha SSS stuff! IMO - that was the best stuff I ever owned. It was like a B kit to me right off the showroom floor!

Funny, I said the exact same thing in the Yami 2 stroke forum a while back about the SSS stuff! Feels like kit suspension right out of the crate! 

• Like 2