The Rolls OHV@ Butcher Jones, first time

Arizona

So i have riden street for a long time but gave it up when I had kids

now that they are older I bought a xl650l  and finally got it ready to ride accept for decent tires ( still looking for the best choice )

anyway  Sagaro lake was packed Sunday 8/18 at 9AM the trucks with trailers were all the way up to the exit for boat launching

that didn't matter I was hitting the next entrance anyway for Butcher Jone's and it was dead   but the big gate was open for the OHV

I have never ridden off road  on a Motorcycle

things I did wrong and right   == W  and R

W= didn't start the bike at home  ( left the key on and batt was dead elec start only )

R=learned to roll start fired right up

R=put My camelback on even though I was just going to go a little way in

W=should have turned around ater I realized My tires sucked in the sand or atleast went back and aired down to see if that helped

W=didn't ride around on the pavment long enough to remotley recharge the battery so when a washed out in the sand and the bike died I was screwed  

I had 2 choices but was happy as heck to have drinking water   so I could either walk back and get the truck or push the bike out

and I was soon finding out that was hard as heck in the sand

R=got lucky and found 4 feet of hard and bump started it and got the heck out  LOL

fun times  and I learned a lot I did have a phone and water and was never in peril even though I should ride with a buddy I have none  that like to ride with a amature

so I am searching for some rubber and I did find the next exit near the boat waiting area was a little better packed so I tooled around there for a bit  but it got way to hot  by 11 am so I split

any suggestions on a good newbie trail would be appreciated but I will keep at it and the good news is the 650 makes a decen't street bike  so all is not lost  oh and I did get to use my new winch for the first time and it worked perfect

P8180621.JPGP8180628.JPG

Sounds like you found out that there are alot of sand washes out there and if its hot and dry its is alot of work and potentially dangerous this time of year, especially if your not familiar with that area. Good to hear you didnt have any serious problems.

Thanks  TDW

It was fun while it lasted  LOL

I have the battery recharged and it seems fine now  I just need some new rubber before I try again  so many choices on tires it's mind boggling LOL

Tire choice will depend on what kind of riding you do. Do you plan to ride the XL on the street at all? Or just trails?

I have a Maxxis Desert IT on the back of my CRF450X, and a Maxxis Maxcross on the front. I ride everything from track, to rocky trails, to gravel roads, here in the Phoenix area. They've been GREAT tires. I have yet to complain that I wish I had different tires.

With that said, if you've never ridden dirt bikes, you really should get some pointers from a riding partner. The biggest thing to learn is to get your weight over the front tire on normal conditions, and weight over the back tire in the sand. Sit up next to the tank when you ride, if you don't have enough weight on the front tire it can wash out easily. Sand is the exact opposite, you want your butt over the rear fender, in order to make the front end as light as possible. Sand requires speed, the faster you go, the easier it is.

I see people all the time riding along with their butt at the back of the seat, and either the front end washes out, or they wonder why riding is no fun.

Edited by yellowdatsun

good tips  thanks

I was riding ass to the rear to get the rear tire to bite  and I was washing out alot but controlably untill I dumped it  LOL

I do ride street since it's fully legal  but just around My area and 50 mph or under  no freeway and usually just 25 mph

I was thinking of a DOT dual sport tire but now I just want decent traction off road and one that can handle the street  but just normal riding not wet roads or hard cornering I don't think the cops will look for a DOT stamp ?

so many varied opinions it's crazy  and while my tires aren't bald  they were well over inflated and the rear knobbies have limited bite   ( I really was expecting more hard pack out there ) 

Its a big area and there is alot of hard pack trails out there also. I dont have a link handy but I know you can get a map of the area that may help if you decide to put on alot of miles and explore the different trails. Most of the time but especially this time of the year I ride areas I'm familiar with and arent alot of hard work!

Thanks

I did just buy the new edition OHV book

so after the sand fiasco I went up the road to the boater staging area where they wait when the lake is to full to let anyone else in

that area is probably where I will practice  next time  it was much more hard pack with some sand mixed in   not the all sand entry like at Butcher jones

I would have rode longer but with the battery issue I didn't want to push the bike to far  LOL

Unless the cops are really being a dick, they won't care about you having DOT tires. Even then, it's an equipment violation, and not a moving violation, so it's not nearly as bad.

Dual sport tires will have, as you say, "decent" traction in the dirt. But they won't have good, or great traction. If you don't ride much on the street I would get a full knobbie tire. The little crushed granite marbles on hardpack is really common around here, and anything less than a knobbie will have you washing out the front end.

I have dual sport tires on my KLR650, but that's because I ride it on the street a LOT. There's a very noticable sacrifice when it comes to being in the dirt. It's not nearly as sure footed as my CRF450X with the Maxxis knobbies.

Thanks !

Heading to screwie lewies  to look at there selection of tires now 

even though I should ride with a buddy I have none  that like to ride with a amature

I'm back on a bike after 30 years so I'm sure that I qualify as an amateur.  I know my body does - can't believe how sore I've been after a few rides!  Anyway, I'd love to ride someone that is likely to be more my "speed".  LMK the next time you're headed out and I'll see what my wife might have planned that I need to get out of...

It sounds like you came up on the lake from the south (this time of year you'd be more likely to find me in line with the boats than loaded down with off-road gear and a helmet), so I'm guessing that you're not too far from me.  I'm in Gilbert.

Hi

I am in  Chandler  Ray and Mclintock

I Hit all the lakes also my other hobby is buying blown up PWC's  and I have a boat also

I usually Hit Roosevelt or Bartlett  because I can beach launch or Saguaro during the weekdays if I sneak out of work early

I know what you mean  I am sore in places for no good reason and even my just dumping it in the sand did something to My ribs   LOL

I just put on My lower  offroad / sand gearing  but still need some new Rubber so I can move  LOL

but thanks  for the offer  

I think My riding  hiatus was 18 years but I have no time under My belt since returning to riding  and none off road ever   

Edited by Zimman

Tire choice will depend on what kind of riding you do. Do you plan to ride the XL on the street at all? Or just trails?

I have a Maxxis Desert IT on the back of my CRF450X, and a Maxxis Maxcross on the front. I ride everything from track, to rocky trails, to gravel roads, here in the Phoenix area. They've been GREAT tires. I have yet to complain that I wish I had different tires.

With that said, if you've never ridden dirt bikes, you really should get some pointers from a riding partner. The biggest thing to learn is to get your weight over the front tire on normal conditions, and weight over the back tire in the sand. Sit up next to the tank when you ride, if you don't have enough weight on the front tire it can wash out easily. Sand is the exact opposite, you want your butt over the rear fender, in order to make the front end as light as possible. Sand requires speed, the faster you go, the easier it is.

I see people all the time riding along with their butt at the back of the seat, and either the front end washes out, or they wonder why riding is no fun.

I put a Maxxis Desert on one of my bikes about a year and a half ago.  I too have been pretty impressed.  We ride a lot of single track and that tire has held up like no other tire I've ever had.

Thanks !

So I got some new rubber last Thursday and re geared also

while the sand wash was still a little bit of a challenge    it was doable  and I made it to some hard packed trails  just like I was hoping for all along 

thanks for the input  guys

P9030677.JPG