Helmets

New to dual sporting. Have a 500 mile ride coming up. Only have my usual trail riding TLD helmet that is DOT/Snell rated.

What are the advantages of a DS helmet vs mine?  The obvious difference is there is a face shield on a DS helmet and can wear sunglasses under it vs with my helmet, its goggles or no goggles.  If I were to buy one, what are the features I'd want?

Thanks.

Edited by dmac1

The smaller bill on a DS helmet will be a lot easier on your neck over a 500 mile ride at highway speeds. Plus, with goggles your field of view will be very limited...not good on country roads. It's like having blinders on...preferred on the trail, but dangerous on the street. I'd wear a full face street helmet before an MX helmet for a 500 mile ride. Just me.

I have many helmets.  I don't think there is much an advantage to a dual sport helmet, other then they look cool, over a street helmet.  I have a Shoei Hornet that just got put to good use.  My new DS helmet is a GMAX D11. Much cheaper, still fits good, but I would prefer the Shoei or Arai.  I think the best helmets are the ones that fit comfortably on your head.  Helmets can get expensive though if you pound them against the ground with your head often.

The smaller bill on a DS helmet will be a lot easier on your neck over a 500 mile ride at highway speeds. Plus, with goggles your field of view will be very limited...not good on country roads. It's like having blinders on...preferred on the trail, but dangerous on the street. I'd wear a full face street helmet before an MX helmet for a 500 mile ride. Just me.

That must be it!  That plus lower the face shield and your head is pretty aero vs the bill on my lid catching all the air. Just may hafta look into them.