Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki JR50 Help?!?!

I just bought a 2002 jr 50 for my daughter, and am fairly new to this "club/lifestyle" embarrased to say, but true. Anyhow, i have a couple questions that seem to be the only ones not covered on any topic forum ANYWHERE. I see that there is a resevoir tank for the oil, then the oil tank with no dipstick and have read that you are not supposed to use mixture and also that you are. Which is the right answer?!?! Im going insane trying to figure this out. the bike runs fine, took my daughter around on it for a while the other night but i need to top off fuel and change the oil, which brings the other question. How do i change the oil on this dam thing. I cant decide which screw to take out to drain it. Any help would be amazing and thanks for baring with me, sense i know most of this and questions to come are going to sound noob to a lot of you. Thanks again in advance to any and all help

I just bought a 2002 jr 50 for my daughter, and am fairly new to this "club/lifestyle" embarrased to say, but true. Anyhow, i have a couple questions that seem to be the only ones not covered on any topic forum ANYWHERE. I see that there is a resevoir tank for the oil, then the oil tank with no dipstick and have read that you are not supposed to use mixture and also that you are. Which is the right answer?!?! Im going insane trying to figure this out. the bike runs fine, took my daughter around on it for a while the other night but i need to top off fuel and change the oil, which brings the other question. How do i change the oil on this dam thing. I cant decide which screw to take out to drain it. Any help would be amazing and thanks for baring with me, sense i know most of this and questions to come are going to sound noob to a lot of you. Thanks again in advance to any and all help

The reservior tank is for your premix oil. A lot of people (including myself) bypass this tank and put premix in the tank (32-1). The oil in the transmission is the one without a dipstick, ATF works good in there. There should be a plug on the bottom of the engine, or low on the side of the case to drain the tansmission oil. Remember the transmission (ATF) and the premix are different oils with different uses.

I'm used to the PW-50, which is Yamaha's version of the JR. Never had a JR-50 so I have no real specific info on that model...

Edited by poldies4

Ok so to clear up, you put the oil/gas mix in the resevoir and the actual oil in the crank case and then i can just run straight unleaded in the tank?

Thanks for your answers. Seems i cant find info anywhere

The reservior tank is for your premix oil. A lot of people (including myself) bypass this tank and put premix in the tank (32-1). The oil in the transmission is the one without a dipstick, ATF works good in there. There should be a plug on the bottom of the engine, or low on the side of the case to drain the tansmission oil. Remember the transmission (ATF) and the premix are different oils with different uses.

I'm used to the PW-50, which is Yamaha's version of the JR. Never had a JR-50 so I have no real specific info on that model...

I thought the mix was to go in the actual gas tank. I got a gas tank, resevoir tank and the crank case one.. Thanks for your help

Ok so to clear up, you put the oil/gas mix in the resevoir and the actual oil in the crank case and then i can just run straight unleaded in the tank?

Thanks for your answers. Seems i cant find info anywhere

First, get a manual....

Second, there is ENGINE OIL that takes care of your tranny and clutch etc. 

Third, STRAIGHT GAS goes in the gas tank.  No need to "pre-mix" your gas

Fourth, INJECTOR OIL goes in the reservoir, it is used to lube the crank and top end. 

My parents used to have a Yamaha DT 175 Enduro (street legal) and you could gas up at a station and ride without mixing oil.  So long as you kept the reservoir full of oil you were OK. :)   Same idea.

• Like 1

Drain the oil from the bottom of the motor through the bolt/plug in the bottom of the motor, and fill with with either a 15/40 engine oil, or ATF type F. Your choice. I use a 50/50 mixture of both. The amount to use is marked on the engine case, right near the fill plug and is marked in either cc, or ml which are both the same. I think your bike takes 600 ml. In the fuel tank, just use regular, unmixed gasoline. In the plastic reservoir tank, keep filled with 2 stroke injector oil. Again, the choice of brand is yours, and that little bike doesn't need anything special, or expensive. Any 2 stroke injection oil will be fine, other than synthetic. Do not use synthetic in that bike

• Like 2

Thanks guys really appreciate it. Now i am looking into the "mods" like the exhaust washer removal thing. Having a hard time depicting exactly where that is and dont want to go in and mess with something without being 100% sure. Sorry again i know this all sounds like common knowledge haha

717 Motorsports said to never use synthetic 2 stroke injector oil in a JR 50.  Any idea as to why?  I've always been a big fan of synthetic and I'm wondering why it would be a bad idea to use it in a 2 stroke bike.

Thanks,

Chad

Edited by roadrashgixer