Sign in to follow this  

Looking for the best power combination..

My son's 2012 CRF150RB has 50 hrs on it so I am beginning to look for the best head port, piston and cam combo.. It had a titanium Yoshi pipe when we got it .. He races mx ..

I suggest you look at weantright's postings. He has had a lot to say about performance combinations that work. Also look for Ron Hamp's posts as he has a great reputation for doing excellent head work. You might start here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/728685-crf-150-cylinder-head-work/?hl=crf%20150%20cylinder%20head%20work

Good luck!

You can make these little bikes rip. Our supermini had a high comp piston, stage II cams, head work and tuned carb. One without the other is pointless and a waste. Honestly keep it stock unless your son is holding that throttle wide open around the track and complaining about power. If you mod it at that many hours I would also address the crank.

You can make these little bikes rip. Our supermini had a high comp piston, stage II cams, head work and tuned carb. One without the other is pointless and a waste. Honestly keep it stock unless your son is holding that throttle wide open around the track and complaining about power. If you mod it at that many hours I would also address the crank.

+1, If you don't have corner speed then keep it stock with high compression piston. If your son has the speed, crack that wallet because it then becomes expensive. BTW that pipe is a top end pipe flowing too much for a stock motor and works much better with a BB.

Ron Hamp has a good reputation however expensive, if you trust the filler used and hard to contact him are concerns I had. I was impressed with the shop of PR2 and they build some very fast superminis. Another good shop is PC, both of these do a complete set-up from motor to suspension. You will be looking near $5000+/- for a motor set-up after you supply the base bike. Pricy but your mini will run down 250f's if your rider has the skill to hold on. Either way you go make sure the shop knows the 150r motor. Honda's mistake with this motor is that the head design is good for a 170cc, not a 150!

PR2 is over in Butler, PA and has a test track at their suspension shop. The boys of one of the owners are Shane and Darryn Durham who rides for Monster PC along side Cooper Webb. We did some training with Shane in the past and had the pleasure to tour the shop. Also have their suspension link and it seems to work well.