Sign in to follow this  

Dumb Dealer Advice?

I was at a dealer picking up parts for my bike. While I was shopping one of the guys was on the phone giving advice to someone. Maybe I missed something because I couldn't hear the other side but I just about crapped my pants.

He told who ever was on the other side of the phone that "Its better if you run low grade fuel when at altitude because of the low oxygen content in the fuel....." huh? 

I get that you CAN use a lower grade fuel at higher altitude because of the lower effective compression ratio at altitude but lower oxygen content makes for better fuel and a better running engine at altitude? By my logic I would think that if higher grade fuel really did contain more o2 then you would want to run the higher grade fuel.

Am I being stupid?

More o2, more power, the better it runs, no matter what elevations.  Motors run worse at altitude because of the lack of oxygen, so any lack of oxygen in fuel or air will produce less power and run worse

More o2, more power, the better it runs, no matter what elevations.  Motors run worse at altitude because of the lack of oxygen, so any lack of oxygen in fuel or air will produce less power and run worse

Thats what I thought! I almost wanted to get his name so i could make sure he never touched any of my or any one i know parts/bikes or gives them advice!

To expand on what you're saying, could be wrong but, IIRC, the ethonol in todays pump gas carries an extra o2 molecule, but the "grades" of pump gas only relate to octane. It's all the same gas as far as the amount of ethonol, the distributor just adds different additives packages to make the different octane grades.

Some race fuels are oxygenated, much higher than what you get with the ethonol in pump gas.

So assuming the dealers suggestion of using a lower grade gas was referring to pump gas, I don't see it making a difference, amount of oxygen-wise. Without hearing both sides of the conversation from the beginning, hard to say what was going on.

He's kinda right... the "best" octane to run is the lowest that doesn't det. 

But without knowing both sides of that story, it's really hard to say.