Your thoughts: Selling 250SX(2T)- maybe get 2013 YZ250F? 195lb 36yrs old.

Hey Folks

I've just scanned through this forum back to index page 11

I'm still not convinced. 

I'm 36, 195lb. 

Been riding 28 years. 

In the last 10 years I'v owned 01 KLX300, '03 KX125, '07 KX450F, and '12 250SX 

I mainly rode natural terrain until 18 months ago, and have since ridden mainly motocross on sandy tracks. 

The 450F was just too much weight. It trashed my body and I need it for work on Monday. 

So I got the 250SX. Like the weight so much better -it feels like the MXers as I grew up knowing them. But I'm not happy with the engineering on the KTM. I know I want to go back to Jap. 

So I'm looking at a YZ250 (2T), or a 250F. 

All the other new EFI 250s now seem to weigh as much as my old Carby 450F. So I'm set on either of the Yammy's now, weighing the same as my 250SX. 

I've never ever ridden a 250F of any brand, and don't have any mates on them. 

I just don't know if they will have the power I need I guess. I'm not looking to win any races, I just want it to respond when I tell it to. Snap! The stories of explosive midrange float my hopes.... 

So I guess I want to know if there's any other fellas on these, riding MX, weighing in similar to me. 

If I get one I won't be modding it - these things are 8K in Australia at run-out prices. The new ones will be 12K!!! I aint paying for mods. 

It's YZ or YZF. What you think? 

I just picked up an 08 yz250f, and comparing it to my 07 yz 250, I have to say that honestly I feel more beat up after riding my 2 stroke, but also have more fun riding it. I'm 6'1 220 and my 250f lugs me around no problem. There is a kind of mid range power that suprised me at least, I honestly feel like a current 250f could keep up with a current 250. I guess what I am saying is speed is irrelevant at this point, its a matter of preference. If you're looking for a smooth ride that can still move quickly, get the 250f. If you're looking for something that keeps you on the edge of your seat, go with the 2 stroke. My only statement is there is no reason to get a new yz250, I would work on finding an 07/08 2 stroke for a quarter of the price.

I personally like my 4 stroke for the track and my 2 stroke for everything else. Even if they weigh damn near the same, the 2 stroke still feels lighter due to the weight distribution. Sorry if this comes across as a ramble, but it's hard to explain when I haven't ridden in a few weeks lol.

I just picked up an 08 yz250f, and comparing it to my 07 yz 250, I have to say that honestly I feel more beat up after riding my 2 stroke, but also have more fun riding it. I'm 6'1 220 and my 250f lugs me around no problem. There is a kind of mid range power that suprised me at least, I honestly feel like a current 250f could keep up with a current 250. I guess what I am saying is speed is irrelevant at this point, its a matter of preference. If you're looking for a smooth ride that can still move quickly, get the 250f. If you're looking for something that keeps you on the edge of your seat, go with the 2 stroke. My only statement is there is no reason to get a new yz250, I would work on finding an 07/08 2 stroke for a quarter of the price.

I personally like my 4 stroke for the track and my 2 stroke for everything else. Even if they weigh damn near the same, the 2 stroke still feels lighter due to the weight distribution. Sorry if this comes across as a ramble, but it's hard to explain when I haven't ridden in a few weeks lol.

Thanks Joer. Please keep rambling by all means!

You've probably got the best perspective from where I'm coming from. If I do buy a 2T it probably be a low hour 11 or 12 model. 

I love riding my KTM - it's awesome. It's just the little dumb mechanical crap that's pushing me to rid myself of it. Just dumb shit. Rusty frame under the plastic guards and in all the tubes.  Airbox getting full of mud and not sealing at the filter properly no matter how much I rim it in grease. The inner clutch cover bolts have to be really loose around the kickstarter or it wont return, which makes oil soak out, and the gasket (which causes the fouling on the return spring) deteriorates even further (3rd gasket). The '12 Reed cage was faulty but luckily I got a free upgrade from MT. Missing 3rd gear shifts. Harsh fork action. Plastic Shock preload. Plastic everywhere else, held together with cable ties. Uses tonnes of fuel laden with expensive oil - I bet the 250F costs half to fuel. 

But damn Kate's fun to ride. 

Would you say the front of the YZ250F feels as light to loft through sand whoops as your YZ250? The dead weight feeling on the 450 is why I ultimately sold it.

And do you think you'd change gear more on the 2T or 4T on a lap?

I will say that from my experiences, ktms suck to maintain. But as for riding, even weighing as much as I do, the 250f is so much easier to handle and keep the front end off the ground. You can throw your.weight back without fear of getting on the pipe and getting thrown or having to over compensate. The only downside is you really have to keep speed on a track going into turns because it doesn't get up as fast. But without a doubt, at least the way i ride, shifting is seldom on the 4 where as on my 2 you're shifting through the gears and working harder.

My phone is being dumb and won't let me edit but I will say I think they both handle well and comparably. The 250f is good for a sunday rider but also has it in it to move.

Thanks mate - Food for thought :-)

Sounds promising for the F. 

Edited by brenno

. I guess what I am saying is speed is irrelevant at this point, its a matter of preference. If you're looking for a smooth ride that can still move quickly, get the 250f. If you're looking for something that keeps you on the edge of your seat, go with the 2 stroke..

That's a good summation for a comparison.  Much depends on what "your game is".  Mine is cornering and momentum maintenance. For me, the 4T was the ticket combined with the fact that I could get twice the saddletime due to the fatigued factor. It was just much funner. If your "game" is explosive power on the straights, then stick with the 2T. 

I am 37 and weight 185 lbs and I love my 07 yz250f. plenty of power to get me anywhere I need to go. Plenty of power for the track. The stock carb needed some adjustments until I got rid of all the bogs but once I did, it runs like a champ. My buddy who is 39 and 210 lbs just bought my old 02 yz250f for the track and he loves it compared to his 426. He says it has plenty of power for him.

I honestly think either a 250 or a 250f will work for you. Just different bikes with different power deliveries. If you had a 250 2 stroke and a 450 and liked the power but not the KTM engineering then get a yz250 2 stroke. Riding a 250f can get a little 'boring' for some because they are so easy to ride.

I'll speak for what I've been told by my 17 yr old that has ridden 2ts since he was 7. He decided early this year it was time to make the move to 4t. Especially since there is only one school boy class around here and it allows 250 4Ts. He couldn't compete on the 125 against them. That's not a blanket statement for every 125 rider.

He has always called 4ts "cheater" bikes. That's why he never wanted to switch. His opinion had always been the 2t was way more fun to ride. I agree with that. However, since the switch, he told me he can't believe it took him this long to switch. He absolutely loves this '11 250f. And his lap times dropped immediately. And keep dropping. He's not tripling or jumping anything he wasn't before, basically same speed in whoops and straights, he's gained it all in the corners. He's carrying more entry speed that I attribute to engine braking. But where's he gained the most is end of apex acceleration timing. All from not needing to keep the bike on the pipe like his 2ts, clutch slipping, finding the right gear etc.

As far as him feeling the weight of the bike as compared to his 125s he only commented on that the first day. He said he really only noticed it over two specific jumps. Both jumps happen to be big gapped doubles so I'm sure the weight came into his mind with those gaps. I haven't heard anything out of him since about the increase in bike weight.

I don't think the 250F is going to have any issues pulling your 195lbs around the track. I'm around 180lbs but 10yrs older. This 11 has plenty of go. Currently running a 49 tooth but are going switch rear wheels back and forth this week with a 48 tooth. I'm pretty confident it will have a 48 tooth after he compares them. I also put a R&D PowerBowl 2 a couple days after we bought it. Excellent throttle response improvement.

Also put a full Yosh RS4 Ti/Carbon system on it. Yes, most peoples opinions are you gain very little with aftermarket exhausts. And for the 2 YZ125s we had, I agree. I tried 3 different aftermarket exhausts. But he always liked the stock pipe best. With this 250f the Yosh pipe woke the bike up in the mid and up. It pulls quite a bit longer. We have a long straight section where you can just shift to 5th before you have to shut it down. My son and I tested the stock and Yosh pipe back to back several times. I would be amazed if anyone doing those same runs we were and didn't agree the yosh much better than the stock. That's not saying the stock pipe is bad. But I am saying the Yosh is better up top.

And by the way, I was actually going to buy a yz250 2t and sell one of the 125s. Problem is I couldn't find an 08 or newer for sale close enough and what I could pay. That's what he originally wanted to do. Now he tells me quite often he's glad I didn't find one before he decided to go 4t. Just sucks I had to sell two to buy one!!

Thanks for the comments guys. 

One issue not really mentioned is maintenance costs. Typically they are more on a 250f than a 250. But since you are looking at a YZF that's not necessarily true. The Yamaha reliability and durability is legendary. Some 250fs require top end rebuilds at 40-50 hours. The YZF can go double that. So in the end by the time you factor in the cost of 2t oil and it's more frequent rebuilds, its probably a push.

Riding the YZF actually feels a lot like a 2t only smoother and with a lot more rev range. It doesn't hit like a 2t but that's good IMO. They are considered "most fun to ride" by many so if fun is your goal look no further. They are also very fast in the right hands. Look at Thad Duvall. He is competitive in the GNCC XC1 class on a CRF250f. In fact his results are better on it than when he rode a 450. And in the XC2 class where 250fs and 250 2ts race together, they are very comparable. The 250s usually get the hole shot but are often passed by the 250fs later in the race.

You know folks, I'm pretty much sold that a '13 YZ250F will be my next bike. Thanks for your input. 

I ride for fun. More fun and more hours on the saddle suits me to a tee. Big Power is nice and all, but at the end of the day I just want to enjoy a long day of riding hard and still be able to work the next day. 

I took the 250SX bush today and was working on only a 30 mile max range. Carrying fuel in the backpack. That sucked. I held back the fourstroke riders range. 

I also remember how much fun my KLX300 (had hot cams) used to be, and I imagine the 250F will have a similar amount of overall power, differently distributed, and way better in every other department. 

Now I just need my SX to sell and get my new adventure going on. :-)

You know folks, I'm pretty much sold that a '13 YZ250F will be my next bike. Thanks for your input. 

I ride for fun. More fun and more hours on the saddle suits me to a tee. Big Power is nice and all, but at the end of the day I just want to enjoy a long day of riding hard and still be able to work the next day. 

I took the 250SX bush today and was working on only a 30 mile max range. Carrying fuel in the backpack. That sucked. I held back the fourstroke riders range. 

I also remember how much fun my KLX300 (had hot cams) used to be, and I imagine the 250F will have a similar amount of overall power, differently distributed, and way better in every other department. 

Now I just need my SX to sell and get my new adventure going on. :-)

Well, welcome to the club. your decision is sound based on what you're trying to achieve. You'll need to dial the bike setup in for you, but tons of info on this sight as to how to do that.

Fuel mileage: back in '10 i took my 09 250f to Colorado to trail ride at 7-10K feet, so I rejetted leaner. I got 72 miles on my stock tank!! Granted, i was short shifting, keeping off the MJ where I could, and only had about a cup left but we were a fast group so there was no straggling or you were left behind. The 450's (mx bikes) in the group were carrying about 1/2 gallon of extra fuel and they didn't make it back.

Thanks Oldnbold. I live down by sea level in a warm climate so I'd be running richer. But I'll be happy to get 50 miles from a tank if I can. 6.5l isn't a lot. Hopefully setup should be straight forward in my very regular climate. I'm eager to get moving now. 

I have a 300 2 stroke, an 06 yz250f, 13 yz250f, WR250f motor in a gasgas chassis and a few others.

The 13 250f is really nice that I am considering selling my bike (which I love) because of the great handling, light weight, and once jetted they start nice and easy.  Engine Ice and devol radiator guards help a lot.

Parts are cheap there is not much to not like.  Price is way right too.

Hey Folks

I've just scanned through this forum back to index page 11

I'm still not convinced. 

I'm 36, 195lb. 

Been riding 28 years. 

In the last 10 years I'v owned 01 KLX300, '03 KX125, '07 KX450F, and '12 250SX 

I mainly rode natural terrain until 18 months ago, and have since ridden mainly motocross on sandy tracks. 

The 450F was just too much weight. It trashed my body and I need it for work on Monday. 

So I got the 250SX. Like the weight so much better -it feels like the MXers as I grew up knowing them. But I'm not happy with the engineering on the KTM. I know I want to go back to Jap. 

So I'm looking at a YZ250 (2T), or a 250F. 

All the other new EFI 250s now seem to weigh as much as my old Carby 450F. So I'm set on either of the Yammy's now, weighing the same as my 250SX. 

I've never ever ridden a 250F of any brand, and don't have any mates on them. 

I just don't know if they will have the power I need I guess. I'm not looking to win any races, I just want it to respond when I tell it to. Snap! The stories of explosive midrange float my hopes.... 

So I guess I want to know if there's any other fellas on these, riding MX, weighing in similar to me. 

If I get one I won't be modding it - these things are 8K in Australia at run-out prices. The new ones will be 12K!!! I aint paying for mods. 

It's YZ or YZF. What you think? 

I'm 5' 10, 191 lbs and do like my 08 yz 250F. Don't race and I find the bike has plenty of power for me. Changed the back sprocket, one less tooth, and it helped overall speed without sacrificing acceleration much.

Everyone now is waiting for the 2014 yz250f which is finally fuel-injected ( took so long ). A 2013 yz 250f will have a very low resale value in the future because by then, everyone will mostly want fuel-injection and not carburation. I'd think twice about a new 2013 yzf250, even though, they'd be going fast at dealor clear-out prices. Also, there will be no dealor rebates on the retail prices of the 2014 models because everyone wants one.

Therefore, I am considering another make, suzuki or kawi, all have injection. I know about the kawi piston issues and engine failures, yet, I do not race or abuse the engines. Some of my friends have switched to 2013 Suzuki's and kawi 250f,s and are  overall, very satisfied on the reliabilty. There are bargains on new ones this time of the season as well.

I do like the yami's, my second one, but, dollar for dollar and the resale issue, I'll probably wait till 2014 end of season and see if I can pick one up new,then. What does hold me to yamaha is the reliability factors.

It may sound funny to some, but one of the reasons I've decided on the '13 YZ250F is because I WANT carburetion. I've worked on carbureted bikes all my life. They're easy to work on and repair.  I wouldn't know the first thing about working on a faulty fuel injector and throttle body. You'd just as well ask me to repair my laptop's motherboard. All those dangling wires and extra sensors just look like trouble waiting to happen to me. 

I will resist progress for progress sake :-). Hopefully this bike will last me nicely for at LEAST a few years before the overweight, overly complicated new models leave me with no option. With some luck resale won't matter because I'll want to keep it long term. Chuck a big bore kit in when the time comes and I'm laughing. 

Forgiven - Can I ask why the engine ice and Rad guards are recommended?

Edited by brenno

I have a 12 YZ250F, same as the 2013 except for colors. For starters, the 12/13 are in a different league that the 2011 and older bikes so don't make your decision by talking about the older model years. True, the peak hp might not be a big difference, but everything else is just plain better and the further you go back, the greater the difference. For handling, the 12/13 Yams are simply very nice handling machines with a very good compromise of stability to sharp steering.

And don't forget reliability and replacement parts prices. Price out replacement top end parts for the Zukes and Kaws- although prices may be diff in other countries. While you are at the Suzuki parts fiche, note that the 12/13 RMZ250 are the first years RMZ250s since 2007 without updated transmission parts. Tranny problems are for real in the yellow bikes- engines good, tranny not so much.

Beings the OP rides off road, note that a larger gas tank might be a good idea. For a yardstick of fuel range, I get upper 30 miles of single track riding at low/mid-pack A rider speed. Your mileage may vary.

And, as stated by others, the YZ250F will be just fine for power for a person his size.

Good luck with the decision and IMO, you won't regret.

Edited by BazookaJoe

I'm 36yrs 175 (only recreational MX) I had to move about 2 months ago to another country for a job relocation so I had to sell my 09' YZ250, I couldn't find any newer 2 strokes here so I ended up buying a left over '12 YZ250f.

This was my first 4 stroke ever and I must say a couple of things, the very first impression I got at the track was dam this thing is slow... but after about 20mins or so I started getting use to it and started to realize how much easier this thing was to ride, I felt absolutely no difference in weight and I could turn this thing any way I wanted it to, and I couldn't believe how much earlier I can get on the gas and keep it on which makes me faster, oh and this thing breaks sooooo much better then my 09'yz250 it's ridicules (best front break I've ever felt). I must say I love my little yz250f and honestly think my next bike will be another 250f just my 2 cents.

I use those for better air flow and cooling.  Biggest issue I EVER had with this is it would not start when hot and you could kick the snot out of it and was nothing but frustration.  These two things kept it cool.