Sign in to follow this  

Installing new Stator and ac voltage regulator

I don't think you need to remove the flywheel, like 99% sure you don't. Get a gasket for that side of the case and you should be good. Lay the bike on it's side so you don't have to drain the oil, remove footpeg or whatever may be in the way so you can lift the case straight off. The magnets will make the case cover feel like it's still attached somewhere so just give a little pull. Unbolt old one, bolt on new one and mount your new regulator and done!! It's pretty easy and any new stator will come with instructions.

Edited by michigan400

Here's a few pics from when I replaced my stator, it really is quite straight forward.

If you're not draining the oil, remove the gas tank.  Otherwise you'll have gas pouring out the vent tube.

Remove left hand engine side cover.  Careful not to loose any of the dowel pins.  Scrape off any left-over gasket material.  You'll see a little oil in there, just leave it.

Side%2520cover%2520off.JPG

The stator is attached to the inside of the cover.  Remove the three retaining bolts, plus the bolt for the wire bracket (top centre).  Remove the two pulse generator bolts (right centre).

Stock%2520stator.JPG

Remove existing stator, replace with the new one, and use a new gasket.  The wiring on my ricky stator model was a tad too long, so routing the wire was a little tricky.  Patience is needed if your new stator is similar.  As stated above, wiring instructions should have come with your new stator.  If not, a seach here should provide the info you need.  Full installation is reverse of removal.

New%2520stator.JPG

yes, you do not need to pull the flywheel off the bike.

Redpoint above covered it well, just make sure that you have a gasket at hand (for dry sump models, it may be possible to reuse the gasket if someone is careful, but I think your bike is wet sump, so a new gasket is a must). 

Your bike has already an AC voltage regulator, why you want to replace it?

If you meant that you want to convert AC to DC voltage, then you need a DC voltage regulator/rectifier (about $50). This baby will convert your AC into DC 12 volts to charge battery, LED flash etc

I got a ac regulator for free with my new stator. No instructions though. They say the stock ac regulator can burn up with 200 watts going to it. Thanks for all the instruction, I will get started on this within a month or so. Still thinking about maybe getting a dc regulator, any cheap ones that work good? maybe off of a 400ex?

I got a ac regulator for free with my new stator. No instructions though. They say the stock ac regulator can burn up with 200 watts going to it. Thanks for all the instruction, I will get started on this within a month or so. Still thinking about maybe getting a dc regulator, any cheap ones that work good? maybe off of a 400ex?

You need to be more specific in order to receive more helpful replies. Not all stators are created equally. 

For example, some stators have two separate coils for lighting with about 125 watts each (claimed).

However, you may have only one coil for lighting (again not sure what stator or AC reg/rect you have), so the game changes now.

As a general rule of thumb, a stator's lighting coil will have two yellow wires for the lighting coil and an AC reg//rectifier also have two corresponding yellow wires, so it becomes a trivial connection. The black and red from the reg/rect provided the + and - for the DC voltage.