being a pain in the a$$

I compression tested my bike. It's all new so it should be good. At 210 psi, it is fine. I spent a ton of time and money getting this this street legal. But my issue is getting it started. Does not like starting. I have great compression. It seems to spark nicely. I have played and played with the timing since I am running a kdx250 ignition on a kx motor. When it does run, it runs great. I am in the process of draining the gas and pulling the carb a part yet again. Which could be my whole problem. If I remember right, I have a 35 pilot and 168 main in there, needle two down from the top. I was wondering if maybe the timing might still be off. When it runs, it idled great, the throttle is crisp and smooth. Or maybe its bad gas and I constantly am plugging up the pilot circuits. Any ideas?

if youre not getting fuel after the carb, check your main seals reed valves, and do a leak down test. should tell you the whole story and be able to pinpoint your problem.

I'm getting fuel. Plug is wet. I also pulled the petcock. Seemed like the fuel flow was slow. Sure enough, the screen was covered and there was a lot of crap in the tank. I'll be pulling the carb so I will double check my reeds. They were sitting flat and flush to the cage when I rebuilt the bike. I guess it won't take much to pressure test it. I have everything I need.

check your airfilter too if you're getting fuel. you might not be getting enough air,

check your airfilter too if you're getting fuel. you might not be getting enough air,

I cleaned and oiled it not long ago. Haven't been out riding yet so it hasn't seen any dirt. And no, I didn't over oil it if you were going to ask...lol

Eliminate whats wrong and go from there.

If there's crap in the tank, empty it and flush it out with a hose.  Pull the petcock and (carefully) clean the screen tube, pull the pilot jet and make sure you can blow/see through it, blow out the pilot circuit.  Remove the mixture screw and blow out that circuit, set the adjustment to stock.

Is the idle set?  I've had a few bikes that were a bitch to start if they didn't idle properly.

Edited by Jeekinz

She will idle like a dream. Got the tank cleaned out and the screen. Had to order a petcock seal. Will be pulling the carb apart later. Hope once all these little things are sorted, I won't have anymore issues.

I am thinking it has to do with the crap in the tank. And since the flow was kinda slow when I drained it, that is plugging up the carb.

If someone has their stator cover off on their kdx250, could you post a pic of the timing pointer molded on the case. I want to see if it is relatively close or at the same exact location as the kx250.

Gas tank cleaned. New seal installed and not leaking. Carb cleaned again. Pilot was plugged up again. Haven't put in any gas yet so haven't tried starting it.

question. why did you put kdx 250 electronics on your kx?

question. why did you put kdx 250 electronics on your kx?

I did it so I can run lighting. I street legalized my bike. Also can trail ride at night and next spring, will be lacing up another set of hubs and will supermoto it for riding on the street. Edited by HolyKaw810

yes I did. The main kdx system runs the headlight and if it works correctly, keeps the battery charged.

i take it this was a cheaper option to getting your stator rewound to run lights etc? i was just really curious as to why.

i take it this was a cheaper option to getting your stator rewound to run lights etc? i was just really curious as to why.

I misread the post and changed my answer..lol the stock 94 stator is not big enough for a lighting setup. It was cheaper and easier to pick up what I needed off a kdx250 than trying to find an aftermarket stator and flywheel.

The much larger kdx flywheel also acts like a fww. It runs pretty good. Just have to get some fresh gas to make sure my start issues were what I thought they were. Oh, and all the stock kdx parts fit, from the plastic cover, to the coil plate. All bolt on. I just extended the wiring to fit the brain box in my airbox.

Ok, I put fresh amsoil and 93 octane in the bike and she fires first kick cold. Idles like a dream. Took her down the road and she is sluggish 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Will be playing around with the carb settings. I may even be leaking gas into the carb from the block or my float maybe off. But shes running.

Edited by HolyKaw810