Any issues registering a dirtbike in Ca. with only MSO and bill of sale?

Looking at a used 2012 KTM offroad bike that is out of state. Owner has the MSO, no title...says they don't register bikes where he lives. Bike has no lien listed on the MSO, owner says it was paid in full at time of purchase.

Anyone aware of any issues with registering the bike in Ca? I'de just have the MSO and a Bill of Sale when I walk into the DMV.

Please no guessing.... if you know, I'de appreciate the help. ?

All new bikes, on or off road, come with a MSO. A MSO (amnufacturers Statement of Origin) is a Federal Title that certifys the bike VIN/Where Made/Intended Use and so on. If it says "Off Road Only' many states, CA being one of them, will not let you get plates for on road use.

Once a person purchases the bike, the smart buyer pays the sales tax (one reason many do not convert the MSO is to screw the state out of sales tax - Get proof -the original sales invoice - it was paid or you could be on the hook for it - based on MSRP New Bike price!). Another reason to change the MSO into a state title is for proof of ownership.

• Like 1

I think your best bet is to go into a DMV and ask them.

Unfortunately... far too many DMV employees are clueless. I've asked things before and had them change once you are standing there with $ in hand.

I actually know a DMV employee and she's looking into it, as she didn't have an answer right off.

I figured I'de ask here to see if anyone has been thru the same scenario.

Not sure about your situation with the MSO, but I recently registered a bike from AZ in CA and wanted to chime in and let you know how it went for me.

First off, get there early, as early as you can - the lines suck!

You will need to bring the bike down to have the vin and engine number verified. And you will have to remove it from your truck all by yourself! So bring a ramp.

I went alone and left my ramps at home because I didn't want to leave them in the back of the truck for the 2 hours I was in line. The guy told me to unload the bike even though you could practically see the VIN and Engine number from standing next to the truck and said he can't help me lift it. Apparently they had someone get injured in the past from going into someone's vehicle to check a vin, so now its against policy.

Thank god for good Samaritans.

Also, try to have as much paperwork filled out ahead of time as possible. You can print out most forms online.

Good luck.

The make and model of the bike matters as to if it was ever approved by CARB for Green or Red sticker. I had your exact situation with a Beta trials bike that was never CARB certified. DMV was very hostile and told me to get the bike out of CA.

By law a mainstream bike like a Yamaha YZ250 that is CARB approved you should be able to get a title for it.

Then there's the variation in DMV agents understanding of the law... Your results may vary. :smashpc:

Edited by DrKayak

Out of state MSOs are fine.  It's out of country MSOs that are a problem.  Bikes MSOed in the US have EPA status.  CARB doesn't have any authority on 49 state bikes.  You'll get a red sticker but you'll get it done no problem unless the clerk is confused.  Which does happen.  Smile no matter what they say and don't leave till they get it right.  Just smile and be patient.  You can scream and pull your hair in the parking lot after you have your sticker.  ?

It it advisable to help "guide" the DMV folks or is that a bad idea?

It's hit and miss...  when I got a Red sticker on a new green sticker bike by mistake there was nothing I could do to solve the problem with the clerk or the supervisor.  So I sent everything back to the dealer who just reissued everything and I got a new green sticker and title in a couple weeks.

When I changed my F250 title from commercial to RV saving $150 per year the clerk and supervisor needed to be guided.  I asked them to pull the rule book and we read and reread the rules together till they got it.  Then I walked out with new plates and RV title in a week or so in the mail. 

I find they tend to get testy when they run out of mental power...  thinking you will just get mad and go away if they get rude.  I pretend to be friendly...  smile a lot...  make polite small talk...  DO NOT give any attitude...  SUCK IT UP...  and I have a much greater chance of walking away successful.

This applies to all life's transactions if you think about it.  You can't always win...  but you can increase your win percentage greatly.  A lot of guys wanna react and FIGHT for what's RIGHT.  I just wanna get my plate and will take the jerk home for dinner if that gets it done. 

Bottomline...  I want to win the PLATE...  not the ARGUMENT.  ?

• Like 3

It's hit and miss... when I got a Red sticker on a new green sticker bike by mistake there was nothing I could do to solve the problem with the clerk or the supervisor. So I sent everything back to the dealer who just reissued everything and I got a new green sticker and title in a couple weeks.

When I changed my F250 title from commercial to RV saving $150 per year the clerk and supervisor needed to be guided. I asked them to pull the rule book and we read and reread the rules together till they got it. Then I walked out with new plates and RV title in a week or so in the mail.

I find they tend to get testy when they run out of mental power... thinking you will just get mad and go away if they get rude. I pretend to be friendly... smile a lot... make polite small talk... DO NOT give any attitude... SUCK IT UP... and I have a much greater chance of walking away successful.

This applies to all life's transactions if you think about it. You can't always win... but you can increase your win percentage greatly. A lot of guys wanna react and FIGHT for what's RIGHT. I just wanna get my plate and will take the jerk home for dinner if that gets it done.

Bottomline... I want to win the PLATE... not the ARGUMENT. ?

That first part about the GS/RS mixup must have been tough to walk from!

But otherwise that's what I was driving at, helping a blind person cross a street, even if it is just a sidewalk.

4STK4LIFE, on 22 Aug 2013 - 5:15 PM, said:

Smart choice

Hope so... ?

My first 2 stroke since 1998. I've had a couple KTM 300's but they were 98, 95...plus a 91 250. Loved them all...

I got a 520 in '02 and have had various 4 strokes since then. Currently on a dualsported 450x.

I decided I only have a few dirt bikes left in me...(technology has far surpassed my riding ability) so I wanted to go back to a 300 for a while before I buy that "last bike"...most likely a new KTM dualsport. 

Can't wait to get it... hopefully reignite some riding passion I've been missing for a while. I broke my back a few years ago and was off the bike a good while. Just don't seem to have that same "fire" to ride like I used to.

2012ktm.jpg

Edited by motochris

Most DMV clerks are very round women?

You got that right! The one I got was super proud of her advanced knowdlege of the laws. One look at the non-standard VIN Beta uses and I was screwed.... And she made damn sure her supervisor was aware she was was right. Coast me $3k to swap to a newer Beta with correct VINs and legit Red Sticker.

Hope so... ?

My first 2 stroke since 1998. I've had a couple KTM 300's but they were 98, 95...plus a 91 250. Loved them all...

I got a 520 in '02 and have had various 4 strokes since then. Currently on a dualsported 450x.

I decided I only have a few dirt bikes left in me...(technology has far surpassed my riding ability) so I wanted to go back to a 300 for a while before I buy that "last bike"...most likely a new KTM dualsport. 

Can't wait to get it... hopefully reignite some riding passion I've been missing for a while. I broke my back a few years ago and was off the bike a good while. Just don't seem to have that same "fire" to ride like I used to.

?2012ktm.jpg

Wow someone put lots of work into that bike...6 day replica XC?....  Looks bitchin. My 2012 300xc would look like a turd next to it.

I think you will like it. Best bike I have ever ridden. Might be too light coming off a CRF450X.... I helped a guy load one and I was shocked at how heavy they are.

Wow someone put lots of work into that bike...6 day replica XC?....  Looks bitchin. My 2012 300xc would look like a turd next to it.

I think you will like it. Best bike I have ever ridden. Might be too light coming off a CRF450X.... I helped a guy load one and I was shocked at how heavy they are.

Thanks. It'll be nice to be on something light again. (the 450x still feels light after the 650R I raced for two years though!)

The 300 is nice... 

KTM World full "works suspension" package

4.8 n/mm fork springs

6.0 shock spring

Sprung for for 225 lbs with gear

Accessories include the following:

A60 18/21 Rims laced to stock hubs/spokes

KTM Powerparts Wave Seat

KTM powerparts Orange Slave Guard

KTM Powerparts Orange Rear Rotor Guard

KTM Powerparts Black Rubber Triple Clamp Protector

KTM Powerparts 51 tooth Stealth Orange Rear Sprocket (13 tooth front & oem chain)

KTM Powerparts Plastic Skid Plate

KTM Powerparts ELine CF Pipe Guard

Trail Tech Exhaust Flange Guard

Orange Powdercoated Frame RAL 2009

Enduro Engineering Black Handguards with White Plastic Shields

Enduro Engineering White OEM Headlight Kit

KTM Powerparts Six Days Germany Saxony Graphics

KTM OEM White Plastic Kit

Renthal 827 Black Fatbar

Pirelli Scorpion XCMS Tires w/ one ride on them

Hammerhead Designs Shifter

KTM Powerparts Orange Rear Brake Pedal Tip

KTM Powerparts Orange Breakaway Levers

TM Designworks Orange Chain Guide

Bolt Orange Axle Adusters

KTM Powerparts Orange Valve Stem Caps

JD Jet Kit

Cycle Playground modified stock XC Head (pump gas)

KTM Powerparts Map Switch

001.JPG003.JPG

KTM SXS Pipe

SAMCO Sport Orange Hose Kit

SAMCO Sport Orange 1 Piece Radiator T Piece

Rekluse EXP 2.0

Rekluse Clutch Cover

Ohlins Steering Damper

Bike has less than 12 hours on it.... It's really about the best I can get without buying new. Hoping to just dial it in with some basic adjustments and go....

• Like 1