xr250 exhaust leak

Whats up guys, I am looking at buying a 95 xr250. The guy says it has a exhaust leak at the header. I was wondering what all could possibly be wrong with it? He says it seems like there is a spacer or missing or domething. Do you think its just a stock part that some took off and didnt know how to reinstall? Or could it be domething serious? If wordt comes to worst can't I just buy a new exhaust for it get the parts from honda and slip it back on? Guy is only asking 350 for it, and the only other things wrong with it is missing break lever, and needs new rear intertube. Think its a good buy?

Here's a parts schematic from Service Honda.

Capture.JPG

When you install the exhaust header, the two exhaust gaskets (part #3) are crushed. When new, they look like skinny donuts; when crushed, they look like skinny washers.  Buy two new ones and install.  Make sure the crushed ones are removed; they are often so flat that it doesn't look like they're in there.  I use an Exacto knife to pry them out.

Edited by ramz

When you install the exhaust header, the two exhaust gaskets (part #3) are crushed. When new, they look like skinny donuts; when crushed, they look like skinny washers.  Buy two new ones and install.  Make sure the crushed ones are removed; they are often so flat that it doesn't look like they're in there.  I use an Exacto knife to pry them out.

Thanks ramz, do you think thats all it is?

Yes he does..

Can you tell me what im dealing with here? I havent seen it in person yet, but I had my brother go shead and buy this bike for me. It loks like it is missing the collar to? And those obviiously are not the right bolts, can you get replacements for them? Any help would be greatly apriciated.

IMG955107.jpg

Yeah looking at the picture you plainly have one wrong bolt..I expect that year 250 still uses the head studs. If they are stuffed you'd get a set of vice grips onto them and unwind them from the head or you'd use two nuts locked together on the studs and wind them out that way..The two nut method being the better way if the stud threads are good..They'd unwind the opposite way you'd do your nut up normally..Applying some heat to the head around that area may make them easier to get out. You can get new ones from Honda. The entire connection to the head looks a bit messy to be honest..Once you get the bike take the headers off and compare what you have with the supplied fiche further up and replace what's required..

If neither the nut or vice grip method work or apply then you'll need to weld a nut to the stud to get them out.

If the hole the stud screws into is had it thread wise then you'll need to rethread them or use helicoils..

Edited by Horri