Need plastic chain guide thingy

As I was parking my XR after lunch I noticed a black plastic thing hanging off of the side of the swingarm at the front.  That plastic piece that sits on top of the swingarm to keep the chain from eating into it has broken at the back and popped loose.  I might still be able to temporarily keep it in place a bit longer, but I was wondering if there are alternate choices for replacement parts besides the genuine Honda part.

It's far from worn out, it just broke at a weak point.

I might still be able to temporarily keep it in place a bit longer...

It's far from worn out, it just broke at a weak point.

After going in for the temporary fix, it turns out that the plastic piece is, indeed, worn out.  I've ordered a genuine Honda replacement part for it.

So how long does one of these chain guides last?

Less than 14,000 miles in my case.

Just installed a new one on my ride. Same thing happened to me. Nasty pictures I took but havn't uploaded.

The front part got worn out first and the chain ate and bent some of the swing arm where the rubber covers sit on top of the bearings. I had to file it down to get the rubber bearing cover back on.

Anyways, ordered mine from bike bandit for $50.

I got mine from rocky for I think $30, but dont know if it will hold up better or worst. I may even try the 5 gal bucket route, but cant seem to find the link, but did run across a few other suggestions.https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/966611-need-chain-slider-suggestions-for-a-1984-xr500r/

On edit; found bucket link https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/956408-cheapskates-guide-to-swing-arm-slidersguides/

Edited by bork

pics as requested. This one is on my XT .This was the first time I looked close at it since putting it on 750ish miles ago, I see the Teflon might be too soft, it's wearing rather fast, I'll probably switch to UHMW since I can get as much of that I want also. This Teflon is so nice and quiet though, I'll see just how long it goes till it gets down to the screws.oiww.jpg

Ya, I have an XR swingarm on my XL and it doesn't have as much meat to bolt to, I still have a strap of Teflon to put on it but until I need to take it off I can't get at it good enough to make it fit good. I do have a strip of UHMW on the original XL swingarm but that was loud, every bump I hit you could hear the chain slap hard plastic, that's why I grabbed a sheet of Teflon.

Edited by jjktmrider