IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Info needed 2007 drz400sm- 270mm front rotor conversion caliper bracket

270mm, 310mm,front brake, rotor, disc, caliper, bracket, drz400, drz400sm

Im just recently bought a 2007 drz400sm and is came with a set of rims and tires for the dirt, stock was 17" rim front and rear, the spare rims are 21" front and a 18" rear, I want to complete the spare set with brake disc/rotor so I don't have to swap them over, and for the dirt I want to go with a 270mm front disc which would be better for the mud, and clearance issues for rocks, I am trying to find a bracket for the 270mm disc caliper, to fit the on the SM (supermoto) forks!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

All the SM i have seen running dirt rims run a 310 front rotor.  You would be the first i have heard of trying to run a 270 with SM forks.  not saying it hasnt been done but i haven't seen it.  Yes 310 is too much brake in the dirt but you  might have to make your own bracket if you want to run something smaller.

All the SM i have seen running dirt rims run a 310 front rotor.  You would be the first i have heard of trying to run a 270 with SM forks.  not saying it hasnt been done but i haven't seen it.  Yes 310 is too much brake in the dirt but you  might have to make your own bracket if you want to run something smaller.

Why do you say that a 310mm front rotor is too big for riding in the dirt? The piece that threads onto the bottom of the fork leg(rotor side) has extended "fingers" on it to move the caliper back to accept the 310mm rotor. There isn't a re-location bracket. So, to go down in size would not be an easy task. The time and money spent trying to make it work, would be better spent riding in the dirt with the 310mm to get used to it. I understand people being concerned about rocks, etc. I don't understand when people say it will be too much brake.  If you are a good rider, you will get used to it. 

• Like 1

The spare dirt rim and tire combo already has a 270 brand new disc, its after market and has cut out for eliminating grass and mud build up. It has nothing to do with having to much brake, just want to have better clearance and performance in very bad ridding conditions. And stock rotor for 310mm is 250$

If it wasn't wouldn't all mx bikes run large rotors? I think it locks up too easy in low traction. 21 to 17 in rim changes the leverage you have on the tire contact patch. With a 17 you have less leverage from the rotor to tire so you need more braking force in the hub. You also have a much larger contact patch. I have ridden an sm with 21 and the stock 310 and I prefer280 or so.

Why do you say that a 310mm front rotor is too big for riding in the dirt? The piece that threads onto the bottom of the fork leg(rotor side) has extended "fingers" on it to move the caliper back to accept the 310mm rotor. There isn't a re-location bracket. So, to go down in size would not be an easy task. The time and money spent trying to make it work, would be better spent riding in the dirt with the 310mm to get used to it. I understand people being concerned about rocks, etc. I don't understand when people say it will be too much brake. If you are a good rider, you will get used to it.

If it wasn't wouldn't all mx bikes run large rotors? I think it locks up too easy in low traction. 21 to 17 in rim changes the leverage you have on the tire contact patch. With a 17 you have less leverage from the rotor to tire so you need more braking force in the hub. You also have a much larger contact patch. I have ridden an sm with 21 and the stock 310 and I prefer280 or so.

" I  think it locks up too easy in low traction."  Then don't apply so much pressure with your finger(s). In alot of "low traction" situations, you should refrain from using the front brake at all.

"I have ridden an sm with 21 and the stock 310 and I prefer280 or so."  How did you modify/adapt the DRZ400SM to install a 280mm rotor and make it function properly? 

" I  think it locks up too easy in low traction."  Then don't apply so much pressure with your finger(s). In alot of "low traction" situations, you should refrain from using the front brake at all.

"I have ridden an sm with 21 and the stock 310 and I prefer280 or so."  How did you modify/adapt the DRZ400SM to install a 280mm rotor and make it function properly? 

I have been riding mx/offroad bikes for almost 20 years, its not as simple as 'dont apply as much pressure'.  I prefer to be able to use most of the brake lever travel and not lock up the front unless I want/need to.  With the larger rotor its more grabby because you have more leverage.  This is the same reason road race bikes started getting bigger and bigger front rotor setups but then they started getting smaller again.  The drz doesnt have the best traction, especially when you have to compromise and run dual sport tires and run higher pressures some times off road if you dont have rim locks.  Look at any factory mx race bike or enduro race bike.  They never have larger than a 270mm front rotor on them because you dont need it.  My rmz runs a different master cylinder but the same caliper as the drz and i think the oem rotor was a 265mm.

I didnt put a 280 on an SM.  My bike is an S model and i run an oversized floating wave rotor on it.  I should have said i prefer less than 280 or so.  im running a 270 Braking wave rotor currently on the front.  I have ridden a converted SM but i dont own one.