Sign in to follow this  

Additive for a limited slip rear end ?

I only have about 20 k miles on a fluid change on a limited slip rear and it is binding when its cold.

I was told there is an additive I can use without changing out the fluid cause its a PITA.

Any suggestions?

What kind of vehicle? If a Dodge/Chrysler I get the additive from the dealership when I do a rear end fluid change. It was less then $10. 

What kind of vehicle? If a Dodge/Chrysler I get the additive from the dealership when I do a rear end fluid change. It was less then $10. 

Ford- 10 3/4 inch semi floater.

What year is the truck? Some require synthetic 75-140 I use mobil 1 it has the friction modifier added .

The 10-3/4 holds a lot of fluid compared to the older Dana 60 commonly used. In have found that with the Amsoil you can use 1 bottle in the Dana, but the 10-3/4 liked 2 bottles. Never used it on the stocker though. I swapped to an aftermarket one. In my opinion the stocker had way more slip than limiting.

The 10-3/4 holds a lot of fluid compared to the older Dana 60 commonly used. In have found that with the Amsoil you can use 1 bottle in the Dana, but the 10-3/4 liked 2 bottles. Never used it on the stocker though. I swapped to an aftermarket one. In my opinion the stocker had way more slip than limiting.

Right now- mine has way more grab than slip.

Thanks for the tip.

If I was going to keep this rig for some time, I would change the fluid out with syn.

Just looking for a cheap fix.

I only have about 20 k miles on a fluid change on a limited slip rear and it is binding when its cold.

I was told there is an additive I can use without changing out the fluid cause its a PITA.

Any suggestions?

Go to your Ford dealer and get the XL3 friction modifier. It will make the chatter and noise go away. Anytime you change the fluid, it needs to be added again. Also, very critical, run tire pressures even on LSD's, tire size much match, if you run a smaller spare in the back, make sure its a short distance only. If you are along distance away, put the spare on a front, take front wheel, put on back where flat was. The difference in axle speed blackens the fluid fact, its the clutches burning up.

I found that modifier on ebay. But be warned. Its the most stinkiest thing you will ever put your nose on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-XL3-FRICTION-MODIFIER-ADDITIVE-FOR-REAR-ENDS-/310303114133

Ford dealers will have it in stock, its all we use at our dealership and we are not a Ford dealer. It works flawless.