Sign in to follow this  

Refreshing old mx goggles.

I really don't know exactly where to put this, so if it's in the wrong section my bad.

Anyway, I have a pair of goggles that are about 2 years old. They have extremely minor scratches but you don't notice them when you are wearing them. However, the lens just seems "worn out" when you look through the lens it looks foggy, it's hard to explain. I tries pictures and they don't really show it but ill put them up anyway. Anyone know of any material that freshens the lens and makes it clear again?

I have already tried laundry detergent and a soft cloth.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377040833.901592.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377040851.513346.jpg

Edited by 110Tim

I really don't know exactly where to put this, so if it's in the wrong section my bad.

Anyway, I have a pair of goggles that are about 2 years old. They have extremely minor scratches but you don't notice them when you are wearing them. However, the lens just seems "worn out" when you look through the lens it looks foggy, it's hard to explain. I tries pictures and they don't really show it but ill put them up anyway. Anyone know of any material that freshens the lens and makes it clear again?

I have already tried laundry detergent and a soft cloth.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377040833.901592.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377040851.513346.jpg

I used simple green for my old ones and they worked great after it

I just buy new lenses for my goggles..I think it was like $8  from a local cycle gear shop. Not worth bothering to restore the old ones really.

I know this is going to sound absolutely insane but, use toothpaste. Make sure it is the whitening kind with the little beads in it though. All you need to do is wet down the lense a little and put some tooth paste on it and buff it in with a dry washcloth. Just imagine you are waxing a car with rubbing compound. Do this for a bit and wash it off, It should help significantly. This also works for cloudy headlights. :D

• Like 1

I know this is going to sound absolutely insane but, use toothpaste. Make sure it is the whitening kind with the little beads in it though. All you need to do is wet down the lense a little and put some tooth paste on it and buff it in with a dry washcloth. Just imagine you are waxing a car with rubbing compound. Do this for a bit and wash it off, It should help significantly. This also works for cloudy headlights. :D

Smells good later too..lol

I wonder if this will work?

51gaVUsGnBL._SY445_.jpg

It does work!! I used it on my half visor on my ice hockey helmet. To use it on the goggles though? I think I would do what most do and buy new lenses. way easier, but If I was strapped for cash I think I would give it a try with the headlight lense stuff. it will last longer then the toothpaste solution that was recommended. 

for a pair of mx goggles, why is any other option even considered besides "new lens" .. : ) buy a spare while your at it if you ride  a fair amount. Nothing like a nice clear new lens

Edited by MELK-MAN

Because spending 20 dollars to solve a 5 dollar problem stimulates the economy... Or his prostate... One or the other

I take the lens out of my goggles and then clean it throughly with dish soap and water and put it back, makes mine look sparkly brand new every time

You can buy a brand new pair of entry level goggles cheaper than most headlight restoration kits. And most replacement lenses are very inexpensive anyway. I buy the Smith  SC from Motorcycle Superstore for $12.99 a pair. Lenses are $4.99-$5.99. Cheap enough.

Edited by Alajambama