Sign in to follow this  

Modify shift drum to indicate 5th gear?

How many times have ya lost track of what gear you're in and tried to shift into 6th?? Lever feels the same when in any gear. Honda's allow the lever to be moved upwards when in top gear so ya don't have to do an exploritory change to find out if you're already in 5th,, why dont  Zs?? Any one milled th drum to allow the movement, like the Honda's? Needs a groove cut around the drum ,only a few mm's.

Judging by the sound of your engine and knowing your indicated speed, you should be able to easily figure out what gear you are in when you are familiar with your bike.

• Like 3

The difference between Honda and Suzuki lever movement in top gear is in the shift indexing mechanism not the shift drum.  Think about it.  Not easily modified.  I ride a number of different motorcycles and some the lever will "free wheel" up in top and others the lever does not move up any more.  At this point I could not tell you which motorcycle is which.  Does not seem to matter.  And yes I always look for 6th on the DRZ.  Probably done it thousands of times even though I know I'm already in top.

Judging by the sound of your engine and knowing your indicated speed, you should be able to easily figure out what gear you are in when you are familiar with your bike.

Yep. I know im in 5th if im over 70mph...

Yep. I know im in 5th if im over 70mph...

Lol what gearing do you have? I know I'm in 5th if I'm cruising over 45mph with 15/43. I want to ride yours for awhile :) I'm still saving for some SM wheels

Lol what gearing do you have? I know I'm in 5th if I'm cruising over 45mph with 15/43. I want to ride yours for awhile :) I'm still saving for some SM wheels

Lol wut? I'm still in fourth with 15/47 gears... I could be in 5th but the motor will lug and knock at times.  4th is good, RPMs aren't too high

Lol wut? I'm still in fourth with 15/47 gears... I could be in 5th but the motor will lug and knock at times.  4th is good, RPMs aren't too high

I meant just cruising at a maintained speed. If I'm revving it high through the gears then yes its more like 65 shifting into 5th.

For reference, My DRZ 434 hits 84mph at the limiter (indicated) in 4th. 15-39 gearing.

• Like 1

I'm always looking for 6th gear too, would be great if there was a way to hook up an indicator light.

The difference between Honda and Suzuki lever movement in top gear is in the shift indexing mechanism not the shift drum.  Think about it.  Not easily modified.  I ride a number of different motorcycles and some the lever will "free wheel" up in top and others the lever does not move up any more.  At this point I could not tell you which motorcycle is which.  Does not seem to matter.  And yes I always look for 6th on the DRZ.  Probably done it thousands of times even though I know I'm already in top.

Not familiar with Z box, hopefully wont ever  need to get that far apart! Have  '79XR500 box on the bench at the moment to undercut 1st gear and re-shim, and 

looks like the 3 shiftfork grooves all have a 5mm long groove around the drum after 5th which allows free movement of lever. Mechanism inside cover from lever allows it too.

Meybe a Z with road gearing makes it easy to know 4th from 5th, but on dirt gearing which tops out at 70mph, there aint much difference!

When you assemble the XR500 you will see the difference is in the shifter index.  The drum only turns to change gears.  It does not turn when the shift lever is lifted in top gear.  The Honda style shift lever just does not have anything to catch.  But I still don't see the problem.  Shift up until it will not shift any more and the transmission is in top gear - 4th, 5th or 6th depending on what you are riding at the moment. Whether the lever lifts free or is locked it tells you the same thing, you are in top.

15/41. Stock. Sm is so much fun. Where do you live? I tried to get ron to come to the dark side. Haven't done it yet. Maybe a few more miles and ill win him over...