Sign in to follow this  

New to 2 stroke - Oil ratio question.

Hey guys,

I am sorry if this has been beaten to death but I will take possession of my first two stroke ever (aside from my "no premix required" Elite 50 back in 1987) ;-) and I want to do the right thing.

In someone else's thread that I don't want to hack further, someone indicated that Yamalube would first be used at a 32:1 ratio for a specific number of liters and then Motorex at 60:1.

Questions:
- Why Yamalube first and then something else?
- Why different oil and/or ratio for break-in and after?
- KTM recommends to run 60:1 but many here seem to think that it is way too little oil. Is it bad for the engine to run a higher oil ratio in the long run (32:1)?

I know nothing about carbs, jetting, needles and all and having read that the wrong ratio with the wrong jetting could damage an engine, I'd like to avoid this.

Edited by hopla

What 2-stroke in particular are we talking about? Are you racing hard, or trail riding at lower RPM's? You will get a ton of conflicting opinions.

So... Opinion #1: If you are running a 250/300 on trails, run a quality synthetic 2-stroke oil at 50:1, or 60:1. If you are racing and running your bike real hard many will suggest more oil but I personally would stick with 50:1. If you are on a 125 or smaller, mix at 32:1 (again, a quality synthetic oil).

Many folks run ratios as high as 100:1, and some folks just can't get comfortable with anything other than 24:1, or 32:1.

Whatever you decide, jet your bike properly for the mix and stay consistent and you will be fine.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm
  • Like 1

I think I was the one the op is referring to the 32:1 yamalube :) the dealer fixed me up with a 11/2 gal of break in fuel and he said it was 32:1 yamalube . Then he asked me my 2t oil preference , I said motorX . He was straight forward and serious about the 60:1 with the full synthetic motorX . I bought my bike from Malcom Smith so I have no reason to doubt them and the 60:1 in the Ktm book with spec jets . Bike ran a little rich with the break in fuel and would load up when putting around but easily cleared out, ran really good on the spec fuel . Really happy dude here :)

60:1 is fine IF you use an oil that is made to run at 60:1. It is fine for break in just as it is for racing. Check your jetting chart and jet your bike for the altitude and temperature that you are riding. If you don't you could ruin your top end no matter what oil and ratio you are running.

If you are not at 2000' and it is not 80° your stock jetting is wrong! Stock jetting in a KTM 2T bikes is for 1500'-2000' at 70°- 80°. The jetting chart in your manual is pretty good, it's not perfect. You may need to play with the jetting a little to be perfect.

If you run a sparky on your bike you need to jet about two steps leaner than the chart says to compensate for the spark arrestor. They make your bike run fat.

I run 52:1 with Golden Spectro and pump because it is easy. 5gl of gas: 12oz oil. Golden Spectro comes in 12oz bottles. Gas cans hold 5gl of gas. It couldn't be easer.

I have never seized a bike or had a lower end go out in my life. I have been running this oil and ratio since 1970. 43 years and counting!!!

P.S. Back then it was Hi Point oil made by Golden Spectro.

60:1 is fine IF you use an oil that is made to run at 60:1. It is fine for break in just as it is for racing. Check your jetting chart and jet your bike for the altitude and temperature that you are riding. If you don't you could ruin your top end no matter what oil and ratio you are running.

If you are not at 2000' and it is not 80° your stock jetting is wrong! Stock jetting in a KTM 2T bikes is for 1500'-2000' at 70°- 80°. The jetting chart in your manual is pretty good, it's not perfect. You may need to play with the jetting a little to be perfect.

If you run a sparky on your bike you need to jet about two steps leaner than the chart says to compensate for the spark arrestor. They make your bike run fat.

I run 52:1 with Golden Spectro and pump because it is easy. 5gl of gas: 12oz oil. Golden Spectro comes in 12oz bottles. Gas cans hold 5gl of gas. It couldn't be easer.

I have never seized a bike or had a lower end go out in my life. I have been running this oil and ratio since 1970. 43 years and counting!!!

P.S. Back then it was Hi Point oil made by Golden Spectro.

+1 to this post, guy knows what hes talking bout :)

I think I was the one the op is referring to the 32:1 yamalube :) the dealer fixed me up with a 11/2 gal of break in fuel and he said it was 32:1 yamalube . Then he asked me my 2t oil preference , I said motorX . He was straight forward and serious about the 60:1 with the full synthetic motorX . I bought my bike from Malcom Smith so I have no reason to doubt them and the 60:1 in the Ktm book with spec jets . Bike ran a little rich with the break in fuel and would load up when putting around but easily cleared out, ran really good on the spec fuel . Really happy dude here :)

If you run the same jetting a bike will run leaner (not richer) with a 32:1 mix than it will with a 60:1 mix. A 32:1 mix has less gas (more oil) in a gallon of mixed fuel than a gallon mixed at 60:1. Less gas per gallon = leaner. Increasing oil percentage in your fuel mixture will require richer jetting. That is why you should stick with the same mixture ratio once you have decided what you want to run.

CoKTM

If you run the same jetting a bike will run leaner (not richer) with a 32:1 mix than it will with a 60:1 mix. A 32:1 mix has less gas (more oil) in a gallon of mixed fuel than a gallon mixed at 60:1. Less gas per gallon = leaner. Increasing oil percentage in your fuel mixture will require richer jetting. That is why you should stick with the same mixture ratio once you have decided what you want to run.

CoKTM

This x10000 most people don't know this

• Like 1

60:1 for average trail riding or light moto

44:1 for high speed desert (more lubrication for the bottom end)

.....at least that's what I do

I am learning hear and appreciate the no bs info thanks guys. From what I am getting from these 2t oil /jetting /break in threads is it comes down to the oil/gas ratio the particular 2t oil likes or works best at, then jet properly ? I seen a flash point chart of a bunch of oils and there were major differences , that would tell me they perform differently . From what I could tell during my break in ride is the bike gulped more fuel than it did after I switched to 60:1 motorX . Is this because I kept throttle under 70% or a combination of the 32:1 and -70% throttle with the oil ratio being high maybe I had to twist throttle more to get the same hp as a 60:1 ? It's funny how it gulped more fuel with 32:1 than 60:1 yet we need to jet fatter wth the 32:1 because there is less fuel in it . .... My thought was the easy throttling was just causing the intake vacume to pull more fuel from the jets and when I switched to the 60:1 I twisted farther on the throttle more often wich let more air and less fuel because when you crack the slide open it lowers the pull on the jets and leans out... I'm just thinking lol

Wow! Thank you so much guys for all this very useful information and for forgiving my ignorance.

I do understand better now and I am glad to read that the KTM owner manual has charts that will help me adjust properly.

My motorcycle will be the 300XC or XC-W and it will be used for trail riding. I don't plan on racing anytime soon unless my learning curve grows exponentially.

The locations where I will ride are between 70m and 500m (230 to 1,680 feet).

Again, You guys rock, thank you!! :-)

My motorcycle will be the 300XC or XC-W and it will be used for trail riding.

Amsoil Interceptor at 50:1

Whatever you decide, jet your bike properly for the mix and stay consistent and you will be fine.

Edited by Cold Smoke

ridden behind strawberry ipone,  a novelty at 1st but sickening by the end of the day.

ridden behind strawberry ipone,  a novelty at 1st but sickening by the end of the day.

My understanding is that the strawberry smell is an available option but they also have ''unscented'' versions.

CoKTM