Sign in to follow this  

How many miles should you be able to run before you race hare scrambles?

I know I am fast enough to race in a C class but I don't know if I am in good enough shape to finish a race. I have been running for a little while now, in the beginning I could only run half a mile (pathetic). But now I run 2.5 miles a day which isn't bad. My goal is to run 5 or 6 miles a day and I do push-ups every other day to help build strength in my arms. So when how many miles a day should I be able to run before I race? Endurance is always my biggest problem. But since I have started running I haven't gotten the chance to ride and see the difference in myself.

I know I am fast enough to race in a C class but I don't know if I am in good enough shape to finish a race. I have been running for a little while now, in the beginning I could only run half a mile (pathetic). But now I run 2.5 miles a day which isn't bad. My goal is to run 5 or 6 miles a day and I do push-ups every other day to help build strength in my arms. So when how many miles a day should I be able to run before I race? Endurance is always my biggest problem. But since I have started running I haven't gotten the chance to ride and see the difference in myself.

I would have to say there isn't a set amount of miles you should be able to run before you can race. Obviously being the most fit that you can will help you, but my advice would be to avoid getting all hung up on doing a certain amount. I almost never run, work out, and don't nearly get to ride as much as I'd like to. I still compete in a few harescrambles a year. Unless your shooting for a pro gncc career, focus more on riding, experience, technique, and most of all... having fun. Sounds like you should be able to handle finishing a race no problem though.

• Like 3

I may give it a shot then thanks. Before I started running I could do maybe like two full hare scramble laps. I never actually have been in a race but after one is done they never take down the tape and arrows for a while so you can just follow the loop.

You couldn't set me on fire to get to me to run to the end of the block...I hate running. I ride bicycles for cardio. How fit you wish to be, is up to you. I'm 44, race open B...I need all the help I can get. If your a beginner...focus having fun, then finishing. If you're having fun, finishing a race will be a lot easier.

• Like 4

I probably can't run a mile(and won't because of my knee) I can ride a bike 10miles possibly, I don't have a way to tell how far. even though that works cardio, and you need that when racing. I have found so far, that arm strength, and forearm strength is what I battle now. I have slowly been increasing how long I can ride hard. I can go for about 20min before I have to slow down for a bit, and then I can ride hard for the rest of the race. GNCC Ironman was my first harescramble, 1 lap in 2 hours. I was so frigged tired, but I was determined to finish. (half the race was starting my bike)

tbh, just race, its good practice, and that is what C is for, if you have to rest, then rest, if there are people wanting to pass, move over, you don't have to win every single race.

• Like 1

You couldn't set me on fire to get to me to run to the end of the block...I hate running. I ride bicycles for cardio. How fit you wish to be, is up to you. I'm 44, race open B...I need all the help I can get. If your a beginner...focus having fun, then finishing. If you're having fun, finishing a race will be a lot easier.

Ah hell yeah...running sucks, and I don't like pedaling. I'll skateboard across the county before I run or ride a bike. Then again, I mob around town on a 1985 Elite 150 or a 1996 Reflex cuz in all honesty, two wheels is best :ride:

• Like 1

I cant run wortha crap...but I can make it through a 2hr ©. Though only two ive done sucked, 1st because it rained the entire time, i was ill-prepared and my goggles were deeestroyed, but ran the whole time. Tried takin em off, but that got sand in my eyes...so i couldnt ride AS hard as I coulda for fear id eat it in the chop. 2nd because I had serious bike stalling issues, and it wasnt re-starting wortha crap...kicked the damn bike so much in the first 2 laps, that i was more exhausted from that then id be from the whole 2hrs if my bike ran, haha. DNF'd that one. After the first few laps, I was tired. This HS was highly technical for 3/4 of it....so that alone was a workout...plus the bike issues. I decided after 3rd lap, well ill try to go another...turned corner after check gate...bike stalls abruptly for no reason...at that point...DNF lol.

I would say, if you have any fairly challenging single tracks, and try to push fairly hard without stopping for 2hrs. Isn't entirely like a HS, but itd be a judging point on your ability to go 2hrs while not getting hurt from fatigue. As I was told, go out there with the plan to just make it through..if you have to stop briefly to avoid injury from fatigue..do it....its C class. lol.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

I race the beginner class at my track and I can run about 4 miles and do about 120 push-ups I run twice a week and do 200 push-ups every other day and ab workouts on push-up days and I seem to stay in alright shape

Running and racing are two completely different things. If I were you, I would focus on how many miles you can ride in a given amount of time. Of course this depends on the difficulty and tightness of the track. My last HS was 30 miles in 2 hrs which is what most of the C riders completed. That was my 3rd race. It wasn't lots of open stuff, very very curvy.

You won't really be in "race shape" until you actually race.  Racing is a whole different animal.  You've got to treat harescrambles a bit different than moto.  You don't ride at 100% during a scrambles,  more like 80% for 2+ hours.  Endurance will be your biggest thing.  For the first one, just try to FINISH. Even if you've got to just take it easy.  If you do that, you most likely won't be in last place at the end.  You'll have a blast, harescrambles is my favorite type of racing. 

• Like 1

Running isn't my thing really, I can run/jog about 3 miles, but I'd much rather go on a long bicycle ride, I've gone on 20+ mile rides and really enjoyed it!

Why do you care about the condition your running muscles?  Running is terrible for your body and it doesn't even provide close to the workout that you can get on your dirtbike.  Go ride a lot and just do it.  Bicycles are a good workout, but swimming is where its at if you want to get in shape AND not destroy your skeleton..

• Like 2

Don't get caught up in the raceing part. Pace yourself and try to have fun with it. If you're having a good time the race will be over before you know it. When you get a couple races in and you find out what going on, then you can start pushing and see how fast you really are. Good luck.

• Like 2

Sounds like you want to race Hare Scrambles, right?  How long are they in your area?  2 hours?  And running 2-3 miles is 16-30 minutes?

Best thing is actually practice riding/racing your dirt bike.  Second best thing for me is riding mountain bikes.  The thigh muscles, the hands on the levers, bouncing around, and the fact you can ride for 2-3 hours mimics the dirt bike race pretty nicely. 

Another trick is to go race, see how you do.  Then do nothing the day after the race.  Then on the second day you'll probably be good and sore.  Then go to a gym and experiment with exercises that work the muscles that are killing you.  The idea is not to get a big workout in, but instead to see what areas are sore.  So you might find you thigh muscles are super sore and squats really hit the sore spot big time, so now you know you need more squat work. 

But again, best thing to do like others have suggested is to ride your dirt bike.  work on being smooth.  Take any training you can, like a Shane Watts Dirtwise school, etc.

The key to finishing a race is to not quit.

If you have to take a minute to stop and puke that is fine, but then you need to get going again quickly.

• Like 3

as many have said already, running isn't racing bikes. And a very fit athlete that can't ride worth a darn, would likely get tired faster than someone in average shape but knows how to ride and pace themselves. Ride as much as you possibly can. Ride for 2 hours if possible. As some posted above, you couldn't pay me enough to run for training, but ride in the woods at a local state park a LOT. Only problem with riding dirt bikes a lot, is it gets expensive.. running is cheap. Ride what you can, but keep up the running if it doesn't bother you.

• Like 1

I've started doing the same thing. got sick of being out of shape so I started running and doing sit ups and push ups. but you should really ride and see if its helping, if not try something else.

• Like 1

another thing that is a good arm, and leg workout. rock climbing! I can't believe how sore I was after doing that, wasn't expecting it.

• Like 1

The key to racing is that you ride nonstop for hours at a time.  My buddy knew some marathon runners who rode dirt bikes when they were kids, and even though they knew the basics of riding, they couldn't even begin to keep up with my buddy because he's in "riding" shape.  The runners were in running shape.  These different cardiovascular disciplines cross over, but he sure made a fool of them because they couldn't hang on to the bars after only a few miles!

During racing season I run and ride mtn bikes to stay in shape, it helps a lot especially after the first 40 miles of racing.  To gauge whether you are in shape to race, go riding and ride nonstop for 2 hours.  Do not take a break.  That'll tell you what condition you are in for a hare scramble.

• Like 1

Don't get caught up in the raceing part. Pace yourself and try to have fun with it. If you're having a good time the race will be over before you know it. When you get a couple races in and you find out what going on, then you can start pushing and see how fast you really are. Good luck.

I agree, if you focus on the racing part of the experience you'll exhaust yourself.  "Ride your own race," as my riding mentor told me years ago. 

Hey AndrewRex--do you run TSCEC enduro races at Alexandra and Forest Hill??  If so we may have already met each other in the woods lol.