Sign in to follow this  

How many miles should you be able to run before you race hare scrambles?

"running shape" isn't "riding shape"

I can run 4 miles in 35 minutes and am in good "running shape" my issue is I don't get out and ride more than once every other weekend. 

If you want to be able to do that, you need to get on the bike more. when you cant. run or ride a peddle bike. you should be able to do 40 miles on a peddle bike and run 4 miles in around 30 minutes.... but again those are just all thrown out there numbers.

next time you go out map out what would be a common scramble and see if you can ride it non-stop ;)

You need to be able to ride the bike for 2 hours at an average speed of 16 mph through varied terain.

I compete against guys that pedal bike and sometimes I beat them.I burn premix for endurance,about a gallon per hour.

I ride three times a week for 2 plus hours and enjoy every second of it!

I exercise with 10 lb dumbells 1 set of 200 reps alternating arms.The presses mean the most because that is what you are doing riding.

Improving your riding technique will alow you to use less energy.

• Like 1

Look around in your area for a Crossfit gym. Also known as a Crossfit "Box"

Crossfit will get you into better shape quicker than anything else.

• Like 1

MXers benifit more from crosstraining,because of the higher energy output in a race,but if your training for hare scrambles or enduros, training muscles that aren't used during a race isn't going to help you much.Thats why pedal bikes are so good,they build your legs.

However any cardio type exercise will help general endurance.

I know guys that do it all,pedal bike,power lifting,marathons,MX,real over achievers.They are in a whole different class of athletes,I just try to stay out of their way.

The trick in a HS race is not to waste energy. If you dump it, or crash, you gotta pick it up, start it, wipe the gloves...waste energy. Keep her on two wheels. Be fit as you want, try to finish, if you do finish, you maybe surprised as how well you do.

Keep her up on two wheels, that is more than fitness in beginner stage.

LovingOffroadPain,

No, I've never ridden TSCEC but, I do ride Forest Hill. I've been riding the LACC (Louisiana cross country) the last couple years but I would like to try doing an enduro.

AndrewRex

working out and running are great but there has to be plenty of seat time cc or mx makes no difference

At least two compelete laps of the coarse with all your gear just before the start of the race, that should get you loosened up!!!

i can barely run 1/4 mile and i never really work out. i still go out and do good in races almost every weekend. riding is the best exercise there is  :thumbsup:

None!  I can't run a single mile anymore my knees are so screwed up.  But I found that if you go to a good trail riding area and set up a course then time yourself, or use a marked course, and ride it for the length of a race,  35 min or however long your events are.  Then check your lap times and see how you are are doing.  I won a local amature championship a couple years ago that way.  Besides,it's a well known fact that running is bad for you.  Best of luck...

I was a cross country runner capable of running 13 miles, my coach was a big fan of distance. My first harescramble race was the Wnyoa/Gncc unadilla race on my yz125. It kicked my ass, totally different animal. Running doesn't give you arm pump and foggy goggles. Running can't hurt but it's mainly skill/technique/experience.

My friend can ride all day at a slow pace for him. But I'll use all of my energy trying to catch him since I'm not as smooth and skilled. Hang on with your legs squeeze the tank

• Like 1

I used to run cross country for my school and could run a miles in 5:32 and I ran close to 12 miles a day. Then I got into riding and I couldn't ride for more than 15 minuets at a fast pace.

Now that I have focused on racing, and I can race at the same output (much faster now than before but pushing just as hard) for 3 hours or more, But last time I ran the mile it was 8something and I can barely Finnish a 5k.

Am I in better shape now than before? Yes I am by a lot.

Do my knees thank me? Yes everyday getting up.

So the moral of the story is you cant judge your racing ability on your running ability.

Edited by Bearlakeburton

Quite a few hare scrambles my first few I was able to run 8 plus miles, finished horrible. This year almost no working out but a ton of bmx and riding bicycles finished awesomely.

Back in High School I could run the two mile in ten minutes. Today, it would kill me, literally, to run a mile in ten minutes. But I can ride a one hour hare scramble. Notice I said ride, not race, because I’m not that good. But I have fun, and that’s all that counts.

• Like 2

Crossfit and riding. Building overall body strength really helped me last longer. Still, like everyone else before me, riding is the best thing you can do.

Here is my take... Next time that you see someone running down the road, look at their facial expression. The typical runner has one of two expressions on their face. 1. The look of being miserable. 2. The look of them needing to take a dump at any moment. This, folks, is why I choose to not run....

• Like 1