Sign in to follow this  

Stock valves and seats magnetic?

The intake valves on my 04 have zero clearance even with the smallest shims available.  I'm trying to replace the valves, but I'm not sure what material the valves/seats I'm replacing are.  I originally assumed they were the stock Ti valves, but when I pulled them, they seemed to have a good bit of weight to them.  I tested them with a magnet, and it sticks like glue to both the valve and seat.  To my knowledge, titanium is non-ferrous and non-magnetic; this leads me to believe they are stainless.  I'm not sure even sure what metal the stock seats are.

I was under the assumption that once the switch was made to stainless, the problem of destroying intake valves was pretty well taken care of.  I have a feeling that this bike was treated like shit before I bought it locked up though, so that probably has something to do with the zero lash even if they are stainless.

In short, are the stock seats and Ti valves magnetic, or am I working with magnetic stainless?  I'm just trying to throw in a new set of valves just to get the thing running and do the customizing later, but I'm not sure what to even put in there for the temp fix.

Thanks.

Can't just 'throw in some valves' and get good results. You need to re-build the head.

If the valves are shot, likely so are the seats, and they must be at least re-cut to match the new valves. More than likely, the guides are shot too. 

Ti is not magnetic.

Stock seats are.

Can't just 'throw in some valves' and get good results. You need to re-build the head.

If the valves are shot, likely so are the seats, and they must be at least re-cut to match the new valves. More than likely, the guides are shot too. 

Ti is not magnetic.

Stock seats are.

Appriciate the response.  Looks like I'm working with cupped stainless intake valves.  I understand the need to re-cut, and will probably have that done at the minimum.  Thank you.

The valves are junk they can't be saved but your seats can. They are what needs to be cut. Not all stainless steel valves are created =. There are many different blends of stainless. and not all have the same longevity. So going with the cheapest valves you can find is not always the way to go. Also give some thought to your valve springs. Its a good idea to change them out every new set of valves. This is cheap insurance. Having a valve spring brake can be catastrophic.

Bigborethumpers.com has everything you are looking for at a great price. We have a complete valve train kit For $210 and $80 for a valve job as long as your guides are ok if you are interested.