First time to a track

I've read some other topics about this subject but there were some things I didn't see that I was curious about. I understand to hold my line and let the faster riders pass me instead of trying to get out if there way. Just wanted to know how tracks usually run things. Will all the bikes ride the track together or do they split them up by size? I'm looking to go on a week day when the track is open from 6-10. Will there be less people rather then say a Saturday when the track is open all day? Just wondering if anyone would know about something like that. Thanks in advance. By the way the track is sunshine mx in st.pete fl for those wondering.

I've read some other topics about this subject but there were some things I didn't see that I was curious about. I understand to hold my line and let the faster riders pass me instead of trying to get out if there way. Just wanted to know how tracks usually run things. Will all the bikes ride the track together or do they split them up by size? I'm looking to go on a week day when the track is open from 6-10. Will there be less people rather then say a Saturday when the track is open all day? Just wondering if anyone would know about something like that. Thanks in advance. By the way the track is sunshine mx in st.pete fl for those wondering.

Yes, keep an eye out behind you and hold your line, meaning dont weave all over the track or through corners so you don't cause a collision. Generally you should stay on the outside lines so the faster riders can go on the inside. Any jumps that are too big just roll over, if your not comfortable rolling them, just go around them and BE SURE nobodies about to land on you when you get back on the trap. Keep your eyes peeled at all times and listen for bikes.

Some tracks split up practices by rider class/skill level. Other tracks have open practice where you get on/off the track at will. This is the case i've seen most often. Week days should be less crowded than weekends.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is a few weeks old but the best advice I received when I started out on the track (although I was only 8 or so when I started on the track) was to sit on the sidelines and watch the first session. I hopped on my bike and followed my father, we went out to the middle of the track where I could see the most. You will instantly have a general idea where the fast guys will pass you and where the danger zones are on the track. 

Also pay attention to the slower riders. This will give you an idea of which jumps are safe and which are not, and where to be in certain areas of the track so that you don't get run over. Don't panic when the fast guys come up behind you... just keep the throttle smooth and hold your line (this was the hardest for me because I always wanted to make sure I was out of the way). If you are in the middle of the track in a certain area, stay right there. The fast guys have the skill set to get around you, and as soon as you think someone is going to go inside, they will go outside and vice versa. Let them make the pass, you don't need to get out of the way.

If you see people in your skill level rolling an obstacle or going around it... odds are there is a reason for that. Even the easiest jumps can be deceiving. Cupped out or rutted jump faces, blind landings, and even jumps that you have to be slowing or accelerating up the face can be dangerous to an unaware rider. If it doesn't feel right odds are it won't end right. Take your time and progress at your own pace. Your instinct will take over and will never steer you wrong. I suggest going out and rolling everything for the first few laps so you can learn the layout. Noticing small details may be the difference between having an enjoyable experience or hurting yourself.

Just go out, have fun, and ride at your own pace. Better than to come back again than to wreck yourself and build a fear that you will crash every time out. Talk to other guys as well. Most people in the MX scene are always willing to help out a fellow rider and are super friendly and most will go out of their way to give you tips to make your trip more enjoyable and safe.

• Like 1

Yep had a great time and have been back 3 times since. I recommend to all that are thinking about it to go try track riding. Also read the post above and follow the instructions I couldn't have said it any better myself. Hold your lines and roll jumps until you're comfortable hitting them.

Edited by Oldsmar55
  • Like 1